Author Topic: String wrapping up  (Read 8194 times)

Tom_G

String wrapping up
« on: December 09, 2004, 01:37:31 pm »
Hi all

Whenever I try to wrap the string around my diabolo (wrapped orbits, firecracker suicides etc.), the diabolo always wraps up in the string. This is starting to really annoy me now - has anyone got any tips on how to avoid this?

I tried rubbing soap along the string, this worked for about 10 mins (and I was really happy) but then it went back to wrapping up again.... I put new string on my sticks, but it still happens.  :(

I use Henry's Circus, and Henry's basic string. Help please!

Thanks
Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

diabololi

String wrapping up
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 01:45:20 pm »
I remember when this was a problem for me.

Whenever you are in a wrap, hold your right stick slightly closer to you then your left. If you look at the bottom of the diabolo when it is in a righty hand wrap, you will probably see why. This should stop it from wrapping up as much.

Oli

seán_

String wrapping up
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 02:09:56 pm »
Quote from: diabololi
I remember when this was a problem for me.

Whenever you are in a wrap, hold your right stick slightly closer to you then your left. If you look at the bottom of the diabolo when it is in a righty hand wrap, you will probably see why. This should stop it from wrapping up as much.

Oli

Good advice Oli, but let me add this. It depends on which way the wrap is put on as well.

If you send it  in on the left like you would for wrapped clockwise orbits then keep your left hand back,  If you wrap with your right hand (as some people do for chinese whips etc) then keep the right hand back. Not massive amounts, have a look at wraps on the diabolo when it is still. Think about a screw thread and see how to avoid getting a cross thread.

Its pretty much practice and feel,  the none driving hand, I feel, takes things gently and gives the slack when needed.  Often when the diabolo is spinning really fast it can be harder to stop it chewing and when given the choice I keep wrapped whips closer to my right hand.

Not sure about the whole soap thing, I know norbi does it but I thought that was with new string to stop it being too slippy for wrap starts with two (but thats just what I thought).

Tom_G

String wrapping up
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:27:24 pm »
Cheers guys - solved my problem immediately. My string no longer wraps up, but the diabolo does start tilting to the side of whichever hand is more forward (right hand for a left wrap, left hand if it's a right wrap) - I guess this is because I'm exaggerating the movement a little, and will sort itself out eventually.

I did get the soap idea from one of Norbi's posts, probably misunderstood the point being made or something.

Otherwise, thats brilliant. Thanks a lot!
Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

diabololi

String wrapping up
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:46:13 pm »
I use a right hand wrap for clockwise wrapped orbits! Am I doing it wrong? It seems to work for me!

Oli

seán_

String wrapping up
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 03:08:36 pm »
No Oli, different people prefer different ways.

I have always done it this way because it feels the most natural for me to enter the wrap from suns, open orbits etc.

Usually I put the wrap on by sunning rather than by encircling the diabolo. I do however use several methods and practice them because I believe it makes me more rounded and able to deal with tricks with different wraps.

eg if  I use LHBW for CW wrap orbits, I can come out of it using an  sticktrap/inverse trapeze release (dont remember the name of this release ,sorry)  on my preffered side. or using the same wrap I can exit with a slow suicide to the left alowwing the swinging stick to come back in front of me.

There will be exits or tricks that suit your preferred wrap better.

Eduardo

String wrapping up
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 03:30:26 pm »
Fritz Release?

Sean

• Administrator
String wrapping up
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 03:53:06 pm »
Well it's all been well said now, but I thought I'd add that I didn't figure this out for many years. I don't think this simple trick to wraps is made obvious enough to diabolists.

Read all about it in the section "A Mouthful of Diabolo" on my website.

Over time you will develop ways to keep the diabolo from tilting while keeping the angle on the string. I'm not sure what changes... but I know that diabolos don't turn or tilt on me anymore because of a wrap. ;)

Sean

seán_

String wrapping up
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 04:43:52 pm »
Quote from: Eduardo
Fritz Release?

Maybe, but I see that as a release starting with the diabolo on the darkside.
I think it might be a half spaghetti or spaghetti on the side (but it goes 'through' the string) but using the exit from the wrap to enter rather than threading the knot with the diabolo hanging.
It might be in the Mattf vid (I haven't got access to it at the mo), I do them all the time without thinking too much about it.

Edit: actually thinking about it some more, its just a magic knot simmilar to the one most people do with two from a sticktrap with an extra inverese trapeze, but because its done in one movement it looks kind of diferent.

Re: String wrapping up
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 05:17:37 pm »
Also its is important to keep the diablolo moving  Left and Right & Up and Down  in relation to the Front Cup and Back Cups.  Moving the diabolo on a weird angle will decrease speed and make the diabolo tilt if the string hits the cup and bind if the stings cross. However it is also how you can go in to vertex with I little turning added to it.

This concept of keeping the diabolo from moving forward and backward can be really helpful when learning 2 and 3 as well as other tricks.  If you spend time thinking about it all the time you will find it much easier to learn new tricks.

As for the diabolo tilting.  I think it has to do with speed.  The faster the spin = the better the stability. (Similar to a gyroscope). If the diabolo is going fast it is much harder to tilt.  So pay attention to what you are doing when there is little spin. 
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com
^ is also my YouTube name
I really need to add a new video

The Diabolo keep spinning in my Head.

seán_

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 03:50:49 am »
Congratulations David on probably the biggest bump in D.CA history. :)
(nice to see you are working your way through the whole forum from day 1 though)

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 04:17:15 am »
Maybe he's been thinking of something to say for the last 3-4 years :D
At least he's searching and not starting topics that have been thrashed.