Author Topic: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2006 (organizational thread)  (Read 9526 times)

Martijn

Hey y'all, The idea of a Diabolo.ca collaboration video has come up in this thread, and I want to thank everyone for the great input. I offered to edit the video, and most people agreed with that. This topic is to explain the rules and so.

The idea is to have a lot of people (I'm thinking of 20-30 diabolists [members of the diabolo.ca forum]) submit a short video of about 5-10 seconds of a trick, combination, routine, siteswap, contact diabolo, or whatever you like, as long as it has to do with diabolo. This list of collaboraters is anonymous, so nobody knows who is going to be in the video (except for me) before the video will be released. If you want to enter, please e-mail me at martijn "at" circusplanet "dot" net.

Remember, your skill level doesn't have to be very high to create an interesting clip. There are others factors such as backgrounds, camera-angles, originality, creativity, etc to make your clip interesting to watch. Please try to come up with a nice short and innovative clip. (Still, I wouldn't mind to have a 4 diabolo siteswap in the video :-))
Please don't use slowmotion, reverse, titles, or other extras in your video. Just the video, I'll handle the editing :wink: You can submit more than 1 clip, but I will decide how many clips of you I will put in the video.

The deadline of submitting video's is the 31st of July!

Please send in your video's before that date. Thank you. The only thing you need to enter, is a videocamera (borrow it if you don't own one) and some (cheap) editing software (Windows Movie Maker will do the job, because you only need to cut the video to a max of 10 secs and save it). If you're using WMM you have to save it as a DV-AVI file. If you're using other software, I assume you know what you're doing :wink: Just try to get a high quality .avi file, with a maximum filesize of 40-50 mb... Please try to go for 720x 576, 25 fps (PAL format). For those who don't have the opportunity to upload their clip, I made a special ftp account at the Circusplanet server, which you can get the username and password for by e-mail. We'll find a way to get that clip at my computer!

I, the editor, will edit it all together in a cool wicked awesome superb nice and sweet video of about 2-4 minutes and will release that video somewhere in the beginning of August. I will put your real name in the corner of your clip in the video (so email me that as well), so we know who submitted which clip! If You have any more questions you can always e-mail me.

Martijn

p.s. I will bump this thread every now and then to keep it alive untill the 31st of July. And I'm sorry for my spelling mistakes :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Martijn

Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2006 (organizational thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:55:27 am »
Ooh, and I wanted to say that I want to go for a nice relaxed and chilled atmosphere in the video. Totally different compared to the R.J. collab video :)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 02:49:46 pm »
Wow, that's a distant deadline!  I was expecting weeks at most, not months.  But then I'm not the dictator here!  

And just to make it even clearer - if the list of people in the video is to be anonymous, can people who send video to Tijn please keep quiet about it on here?  It seems to me that that would spoil things.

Arjan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 03:46:59 pm »
I already mentioned the theme idea. A theme I would like to see is origional. Just new, different, weird, hard and experimental stuff.

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 07:20:56 pm »
Allrighty then, the theme will be....: experimental!

I'm sorry Barnesy, I just want to give everybody the oppurtunity to send in their clips, also those who don't check the forum every day/week. LP had a deadline of 7 days or something... this is more like the opposite :P

Quote from: Barnesy
And just to make it even clearer - if the list of people in the video is to be anonymous, can people who send video to Tijn please keep quiet about it on here?  It seems to me that that would spoil things.

Agreed.

Nathan

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:44 pm »
Could you please clarify the theme? What would qualify a clip as "experimental", instead of "new" or "weird" or "different".

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:32:26 pm »
Well, you basically summed it up pretty nicely. Experimental is like... new creative stuff. Another dimension in the beautiful world of diabolo. It's different, can be very weird, and cool and amazing... Just try to come up with something you would define as 'experimental' and send it to me! :D

nev

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 12:28:33 pm »
I think 'experimental' is a good theme which does not necessarily bear any relation to the skill level.  How about diaboloing with elastic for string or with a homemade diabolo from a large football cut in half or something? - no extra skill needed there.  Or maybe using different props (washing line bounces / grinds on tree branches?) it just requires a little imagination to find something new or interesting.  I seem to remember some videos of 'Sebas' where one cup had been replaced by a helicoptor fan thingy which he landed on his head, or his machine for launching diabolos with a foot pedal, or one of someone putting a camera inside a diabolo cup to film from the diabolo, and one of an S-fan on top of a forklift truck which (to me at least) were experimental and interesting even if purly for the novelty aspect.

Just trying to point out that the actual diaboloing doesnt have to come first.  A video of purly technical skills is fine - but as a colaboration, it'd be nice to have some FUN in there too.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 12:58:35 pm »
@ Frank: The collaboration is here HERE

I quite agree with Nev on his points, originality doesn't have to be about skill.  There's an aspect of skill in coming up with a different situation or an interesting concept.  I think the idea of sticking a cheap camera into a diabolo and throwing it up is simple in terms of skill, but it's marvellously sickening in concept.  Even juggling 3 diabolos would be ok?

I think everyone should be encouraged to enter even if it's just a high throw or string climbn like Tijn suggested.  Quantity and quality are nice, but I'm sure the Editor will be able to use clips in the most effective way to make everyone look good.

Trust me, when it's done, you'll regret if you weren't able to send something in, but also you'll love it when it's all done.  I'm gonna have a think about what to do.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 10:04:10 pm »
Go out and film! :wink:

Martijn

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:34:10 pm »
Quote from: Matt_
any news on this btw? i need to get up and film some stupid clip so i can be in it

Well Matt and others, if you send me your clip, THEN there would be some news about it! :wink:

Martijn

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 06:29:28 pm »
Hi guys and girls, this is just a reminder of the fact that you have to send in your clips by the end of July! (the 31st of July to be precise)

The idea is to send in 1 (or more if you'd like) clip of about 10 seconds (preferably shorter), with a new/experimental/creative trick/combo/routine with as little or as many diabolos as you'd like. Try to think outside the box if you can, if you know cool stuff with your sticks/string/non-spinning diabolo, that's fine with me as well! It really doesn't matter how hard or easy it is, as long as it is interesting to watch. That means: no copying of combo's, try to be a bit creative in the camerawork and backgrounds where you're filming your thing.

If you have got any more questions, want to say you're in, or send me your videoclip(s) drop me an e-mail at martijn 'at' circusplanet 'dot' net.

Thanks, I really hope this works out!

Martijn

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 03:22:52 pm »
Only a few more days to submit your clips! Please send them to martijn 'at' circusplanet 'dot' net

Martijn

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 12:41:25 pm »
Hi collabers! Due to the filming and editing of another video, I will give you guys another week of time to finish your clip(s)! The new deadline is the 7th of August. After that date, I have all the clips and I will start the editing (which will take me a few days).

Tijn
martijn "at" circusplanet "dot" net

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 10:43:17 pm »
Finally, we reached the deadline! I'm gonna do my best to make a nice video, and I hope to do it within 2 weeks (sorry for the delay).

Tijn

Martijn

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 09:58:37 pm »
Yay it's finished! Check it out!