Author Topic: IJA 2006  (Read 4745 times)

CM

IJA 2006
« on: June 27, 2006, 05:01:39 pm »
Hey everybody!

Just wondering if anyone here was planning on going to the IJA Festival this year. If you don't know it's in Portland, Oregon this year from July 18-23. There's more info here. Hope to see a few of you there!  :D
YO!

Saito

IJA 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 06:47:41 am »
I'm going to enter for junior championships this year.

thewu

IJA 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:59:53 am »
ugghhhhh... i only found out after registration was closed.  :cry:  :cry:

but yeah, i'm going on sunday, possibly saturday and friday.

does it happen every year in portland?

Ben

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:51:48 am »
does it happen every year in portland?

no its in a different place every year

im here

im back btw

Maureen

IJA 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:33:54 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I just wanted to say how great IJA was.

I only started seriously juggling a few years ago, so when I started looking for info on juggling communities and conventions, I saw a lot more discussion about the WJF than anything else like IJA or EJC. This really influenced my views of juggling, what it is and what it means to people. I saw everything as a competition (most of the people in my local club share this view with me, which just reinforced it).

But in Portland I saw an entirely new way of approaching juggling. Everyone was so kind, and so willing to share their tricks, their time, and themselves. No one was sheepish about their skill level because there was no judgement or superior attitudes. It was like a big family reunion, full of people supporting each other and wanting everyone to learn and succeed.

I'm not bashing the WJF, I'm too much of a pre-med to ever let go of my competitiveness  :D  But I just wanted to say IJA was an amazing experience, to encourage everyone (no matter the skill level) to go to one, and to thank everyone I met there for being so sweet.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:03:30 pm »
go places and experience things before you make claims. WJF is fun, and friendly, and everyone is willing to help everyone else out no matter the skill level.

It's probably the most relaxed convention i've been to.

Maureen

IJA 2006
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 08:08:25 pm »
Oops, didn't mean to make any claim except that I had a wonderful week  :D

Matt

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:28:55 am »
Dear Maureen,

I know what you mean!  IJA this year was incredible, especially if you like the diabolo.  I learned tons of new tricks from the Japanese and the Taiwanese, and I like to think that I shared a few plums with the folks as well.  Certainly, my excalibur workshop was rocking!  We had a blast.  Ivan Pecel and I may get to go to Taiwan in November.  Cool, eh?

Keep hitting those festivals Maureen and stay in touch!  Much love to Mick, Chris, Ben, Allen, Ted, Kojima-san, Saito-san, TPEC and MHD (Taiwan Physical Education College and Music Happy Diabolo).  

IJA, WJF, EJC--I've been to all three and so should you!!  They are awesome, each in its own way!

matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 03:19:47 am »
IJA was great! It was my first IJA juggling festival ever, and I really enjoyed it. I think pretty much everything went well for my family and I except for maybe having to carry 30 pound bags 1.5 miles each day, and the fact that I lost my very first diabolo.  ](*,)

Anyway, it was great fun, and I got to meet new people and get the more intense view of juggling, even though I thought of juggling pretty amazing before. There was much talent in all props over there, and even though I didnt perform or compete it was still great. Like Matt said too, there was also much diabolo greatness over there as well.

ps: your workshop was great hall sensei! and the shirt with you and excalibur was also a great souvenior from the festival!
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

thewu

IJA 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:50 pm »
awww... i wish i could go there. i live right near downtown, just no ride. :(

we did get to hang out w/ the people from taipei physical college. awesome people, awesome tricks, and awesome cell phones. i think i'm gonna scrap my old chinese yoyos for a couple of diabolos. :D

[EDIT]
does anyone know where to find footage of IJA?

Ben

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »
my favorite IJA yet!

(i got more pics and vids if anyones interested)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 08:46:14 pm »
That's a lot of DiaBigs!

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 12:37:43 am »
post them up ben! It would be cool to see some actual footage of the ija. I had my camera and camcorder with me over there but i never actually took the time to film/picture anything >_<.

ps: that is a whole lot of diabigs norbi, but then again there were lots of taiwanese and japanese diaboloists, who were the ones that mainly used them. And it seemed like pretty much each one of them had unwrapped infinite suicides, and 360s with them too  :shock:
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

papert1ger

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:15 am »
speaks softly, carries a big stick.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2006
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 06:27:21 am »
those 3 girls did near exact copies of each other's routine just the one that won did it cleaner o.0  Not that it wasn't good but just i guess uncreative.  I dunno, I liked that genocide combo though that was cool and almost everyone (maybe everyone) did unwrapped infinite suicides o.0

Josh

Nick

• Donator
IJA 2006
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 09:54:27 am »
I don't suppose anybody got any more footage of those (Taiwanese?) girls playing with the one-sided diabolo tops?
A friend brought me one back from China last year and I haven't figured out anything but making it spin and the grind to top-spinning trick.
Any more videos would be greatly appreciated.
Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

thewu

IJA 2006
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 10:40:23 pm »
Quote from: J_J777
those 3 girls did near exact copies of each other's routine just the one that won did it cleaner o.0  Not that it wasn't good but just i guess uncreative.  I dunno, I liked that genocide combo though that was cool and almost everyone (maybe everyone) did unwrapped infinite suicides o.0

Josh

i dont know.. it could just be their favorite combo.  :D

[EDIT] actually... one of the people told me that they specialize in leg orbits and speed. which is probably why their routines look so similar. added to the fact that the video only shows highlights. so yeah...