Author Topic: Help for a Workshop.  (Read 3462 times)

Pedro

Help for a Workshop.
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:29:12 pm »
Hi there,
In the first week of february, it's goigo to be the ''3 Encontro Carnavalesco de Malabares''- third carnival jugglers meeting in Brasil, I was invited to give a workshop on 2 diabolos, for around 10 persons.   I was thinking:

First-starts
Secondo- acelerating 2D
third- some tricks
fourth- 2d high patterns

Does anyone have gave a workshop before? Can anyone tell me whats important to do? whats necessary?  any advices?

Pedro

*any one intrested in coming in Brasil, for the carnival meeting or not,  mail me.

Arjan

Help for a Workshop.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 04:00:08 pm »
the starting and acceleration and correction is very important to do right... focus on that mainly and people will be satisfied.

seán_

Help for a Workshop.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 06:15:35 pm »
Me and Matt_H gave one at Durham which wasnt overly well attended :)
I have helped out with a 3 ball juggling workshop as well, I have been to loads of workshops in the UK but I am also a qualified teacher so I have a bit of experiance there.

Some workshops have been a demonstration, then work on particular trick then trickswap.

Others have been a bit more structured but sometimes a bit unflexible

My thoughts for what they are worth

10 is a great number.
What you are allready thinking is a great idea.

I'd say be prepared to change things around a bit depending on the make up of the people.  

If everybody is new to 2d you might find more of the workshop being aimed towards starts, corection and accelerations a bit less time then for the tricks and 2high. If everyone is at a higher standard you might find yourself giving more time to the latter two.

If you have a mix of ability you might find yourself letting the better ones do a trick swap amongst themselves untill you have the beginners up and running, then let them work on what they have picked up whilst you move on to  the others, keep your eyes on the others from time to time when you have spare time.

Having said that you can just run through the 4 sections for everyone at the same time, which is probably easiest.  Be flexible within each section but have an idea what you want to cover in each.

At the start of the workshop and each section explain what you plan to go over, do a quick demonstration, then get on with it, recap at the end of that section the points that have come up.

Its up to you wether you want  to solely run the workshop (like a lecture/demonstration) or a bit more democratic, opening the floor for others for their input, sugestions of different ways to get into/out of certain tricks that might work for other people.

Basically to summarise.
Have a plan of what you want to do and how written down, look at it during the workshop to make sure you have covered what you wanted to but be prepared to be flexible.
Be aware of the peoples ability (ask basically), and be prepared to either simplify or step up the difficulty.
Build in time in the sections to allow them to work on the things covered or bring up new stuff..
Let people know what you are going to cover, and recap at the end of each section so the ideas/concepts stick.
Don't ever get upset that sombody isn't getting it.
Make sure everyone is getting something from it

Enjoy it, dont feel pressured to cover too much or rush through it.

Sorry for length I got a bit carried away :)

Pedro

Help for a Workshop.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 12:40:23 am »
Thanks a lot, now I'm more secure about what I'm planing to do

Eduardo

Help for a Workshop.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 05:31:36 pm »
By the way, the convention and workshop were great, there were 8 people on the workshop (hugest number of diobolists in a brazillian convention ever I think)
And the brazillian diabolists level is raising fast...
I think we got some footage from Pedro's shows (He did four, one with normal, one with glow, one with fire and one with light diabolos)
Maybe he can send to the forum...

seán_

Help for a Workshop.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 05:42:45 pm »
Quote from: Eduardo
By the way, the convention and workshop were great, there were 8 people on the workshop (hugest number of diobolists in a brazillian convention ever I think)
And the brazillian diabolists level is raising fast...
I think we got some footage from Pedro's shows (He did four, one with normal, one with glow, one with fire and one with light diabolos)
Maybe he can send to the forum...

I read that as Pedro did four diabolos, I knew he was good...;)

Glad to here it went well and that  there were plenty of diaboloists there and the workshops went well, I look forward to seeing the videos.

Could you tell us what went well in your workshop to help those planning to do workshops at conventions in the future?

Pedro

Four diabolos!? maybe in a year or 2....
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 09:48:06 pm »
The convention were realy great! But I not juggling 4 diabolos at all. Just a few 3hi cacthes, a far from solid 3 low shufle, some nice 2d tricks. What I done were 4 shows in the convention, one was really great! in the open stage, using normal diabolos, at a square for the people of the litle city at the convention has been.
  The workshop worked out, it foucus only 2 diabolos. What I did was tell then , one person at the time, what they were doing wrong in theirs 2d shoufle, acelerating and correction. Then I teach some tricks I learn basicly from the internet videos, I try to explain every part of the trick, how much force to use for a sun ,for exemple, or how your hands should be in a splinker.....
 I havent got any video or photos yet, but when a get then I will be pleased to send then.
 Now that I and a some others brasilian diabolists got the diabology dvd, the rasing tecnic level, may raise faster!  

(Valeu eduardo!)