Author Topic: Re-newing your string  (Read 16172 times)

MattF

Re-newing your string
« on: December 12, 2004, 11:59:50 am »
Sometime when you have been using the same string for a while, it may grip too much due to string wear and/or dirt on the string.

This may cause the string to tangle very easily whilst doing tricks.

Does anybody have any methods of renewing their string?

For example does anybody wax their string or wash their string to get added life out of it?

el_grimley

Re-newing your string
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 01:34:05 pm »
I pass a lighter very quickly down the length of the string to get rid of the fluff (which is what I think causes to catch). However this reduces the strength of the core and it tends to break soon after. But usually when the string is like that I thyink its on its way out anyway.

But I tend to keep those broken lengths to pass onto padoine learners that don't really need good stuff to do a couple of high throws and string climbs.

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Re-newing your string
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 07:14:13 pm »
Have a bit of a hardcore diab sesh, and work up a slight sweat, then just do some round the arm stuff with rlly short sleeves on or hang your sticks round your neck, goes nice n slippery then  :wink:

Sean

• Administrator
Re-newing your string
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 07:28:39 pm »
Quote from: JGherkin
Have a bit of a hardcore diab sesh, and work up a slight sweat, then just do some round the arm stuff with rlly short sleeves on or hang your sticks round your neck, goes nice n slippery then

Wait... I think hear a sound. Yes, that's a collective: "Ewwwww!!". Thanks for sharing, John. :lol:

Sean

Arjan

Re-newing your string
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 07:30:38 pm »
Hahaha, is this a discussion about contact string??  :P  Ewwww  :D

seán_

Re-newing your string
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 09:01:48 pm »
Quote from: Sean
Quote from: JGherkin
Have a bit of a hardcore diab sesh, and work up a slight sweat, then just do some round the arm stuff with rlly short sleeves on or hang your sticks round your neck, goes nice n slippery then

Wait... I think hear a sound. Yes, that's a collective: "Ewwwww!!". Thanks for sharing, John. :lol:

Sean

Probably a good time to slip in the emergancy rejuvinating powers of running the string through your hair (if you have any).

No?... I feared it might not be the right time.

I've do the lighter trick. You would think there would be some product out there that would improve string matters, I'm trying Norbis sugestion of using soap at the moment.

I've heard of people trying wax, if I recall the sugetsed method was to run a groove in the wax using the  srting, then to run the string between two layers of fabric (foot in sock and the carpet comes to mind as a way to get the friction but mess up a sock and the carpet at the same time :) ) so to 'melt' the wax into the string.

I just did a bit of a search through rec.juggling, which to see if I could    find out about using wax, there was a few coments and warnings about loosing the ability to do string climbs :) but also a post from Matt Hall where sun tan lotion is mentioned. I seem to recall getting sunscreen into a string once and thinking it didnt feel to bad, maybe I'l give that a go.
Check Matts next post further down the thread, congratulations.

Seán_

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Re-newing your string
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 11:04:01 pm »
I used to use wax waaaaaaaaaaay back, got the habit from a small festival I went to. It wasn't a jugglin festival, some kinda hippy chantin thing my mum's into  :?  but I met a guy there who did diab so we hung out all week.

It was durin a heat wave, really intense one, we grabbed a candle from a table which had been there for 5 days and the wax was perfec.  It has a very different effect when it's just an ordinary block of wax tho, I decided it was rubbish and gave up. So if your asking me, half melted wax rubbed onto string = good, ordinary block of wax rubbed into string = rubbish.

I thought you guy's would love my post on here  :P  as for running it through my hair? I might just have to give that a go at some point  :lol:

cdw06

armor all
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 12:34:02 am »
I got this from diabolotricks.com if you put Armor All (US type of car cleaner) it works great. Cleans the tring and makes it slippery a lil bit more again. I use a cheaper brand of it and it works great, ive used the same string for almost a month now with using it on the string every other use.
"Death would be an awfully big adventure" - Peter Pan

Tom Derrick

Re-newing your string
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:21:55 pm »
Slightly off topic, but how often do you people replace your string? With the amount I use mine now, I'd replace it once every 5 or 6 months, as it's getting very grippy. Should I replace it more frequently?

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 07:34:32 pm »
Quote from: Tom Derrick
Slightly off topic, but how often do you people replace your string? With the amount I use mine now, I'd replace it once every 5 or 6 months, as it's getting very grippy. Should I replace it more frequently?

I normally replace my diabolo sting after every 2 or 3 hours of use. The good thing is that I don't play diabolo too much and don't go through too much string.

When juggling I break a club at least once a week, snapping the dowel usually. This means each club only lasts about 6 or 7 weeks before I have to replace the dowel. It is pretty annoying... maybe I need to get some carbon fibre rod to go in them instead.

Luke
Luke

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Re-newing your string
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 08:09:14 am »
2 to 3 hours?? what string is it you use that means it only lasts this long?

diabololi

Re-newing your string
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 10:06:45 am »
Every 2-3 days for me, I can't stand wrap-ups!!!

Oli

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Re-newing your string
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 10:43:35 am »
those 2-3 hours are propably spread over a few weeks JGherkin.

nik

Re-newing your string
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 12:52:13 pm »
i also found that putting a tiny bit of liquid paraffin is really good for making a dirty string slick for about half an hour!!
 only works a couple of times though...

milka

Re-newing your string
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 01:50:13 pm »
Between 2 and 3 weeks, practicing at least one hour everyday.

kragen

Re-newing your string
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 02:02:44 pm »
I can stretch a string to about 2-3 weeks if im lucky and dont practice too much, but the ends of the strings keep breaking before the middle is worn, so I just end up with a short string from continually re-tying :P
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Re-newing your string
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 04:36:28 pm »
Even if it is spread over 2-3 weeks, mine'll usually last bout that long with maybe an hours practise a day.  Maybe I just manage to keep using it for longer without wrapups due to my advanced technique described earlier  :wink:

Tom_G

Re-newing your string
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 04:50:16 pm »
About 2 weeks - but breaks far more often, and so I just retie it and end up with a shorter and shorter string. At the juggling club today, it broke 3 times (and I ended up using a string that was about 80cm long :) )
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

staticjuggler

Cleaning Diabolo String
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 01:16:56 pm »
Hey

That's weird, I never even really thought about cleaning string, I just change it when I'm done, and usually keep the old string to practice some loop diabolo with (I use carbon sticks so I have an extra 2 feet or string from inside the sticks, so it's long enough to make a loop out of)

Does soap really work?

-Static
www.staticjuggler.com

How mad would a wood chuck get if a big neon pink Koala bear named Ishtar ran into the woods and chucked all the wood before the woodchuck could chuck the wood?

MattF

Re-newing your string
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 05:46:22 pm »
apparently so, you should try it.... mine usually lasts between 2 - 3 weeks, a nasty wrap up can break it as soon as 1 week though!