Author Topic: Chinese style  (Read 8753 times)

seán_

Chinese style
« on: November 09, 2004, 08:43:04 pm »
One of the books I first learnt diabolo from (aye we didn't 'ave t'internet in them days and an 'enrys circus only cost £16...) was Brendan Brollys Second Book of Diabolo. Half of the book dealt with Chinese style diabolo, tricks like low catches, skips, walking pirouettes (nice trick) and unusual diabolos such as one wheel diabolos and vases.

Apart from this book leaving me with an unusual 'T' shaped stance (otherwise described as camp stance) I have since always wanted to learn more about Chinese diabolists.

I have been pretty unlucky in my search so far and  I wondered if anybody here had any leads?  (clips esepcially)

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/jp/events/quidam/guide/mov/act02_1.asx
not much and not really what I was after (in fact its a bit strange and possibly Japanese)

Seán_ (still waiting for the Chinese state circus to come to town :(  )

Sean

• Administrator
Chinese style
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 06:40:28 am »
Did you ever see the video of the Chinese diaboloists from the Monte Carlo Circus?

I don't think the original source exists. A diaboloist on Jongle.net has been mirroring it here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lesjongleursdefe/Twodiabs/

Go to the video section and then look at the bottom for the file named: "Festival de monte carlo avec du 4 diabolos"

Lots of Chinese style moves and even one girl with 4 diabolos at one point.
It's well worth the download. :D

Martijn

Chinese style
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 03:14:54 pm »
yes, I've seen that, it's a nice vid! :D
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

Chinese style
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 05:06:53 pm »
I get a error :(

never mind, I have waited all these years, I can wait a bit longer...

Seán_

Sean

• Administrator
Chinese style
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:21:24 pm »
Quote from: seán_
I get a error

Yeap, you're right. It was up yesterday... I guess you just missed it :( Hope we didn't overload the server.

Maybe I'll upload it for a day or two on diabolo.ca.

Sean

• Administrator
Chinese style
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 05:37:49 pm »
All right, I uploaded it here:

[Edit - video is no longer on server]

Get it soon... it won't be up for long. ;)

seán_

Chinese style
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 06:58:47 pm »
Thanks Sean

that was great.

notice they all use left hand drives when doing two.

Seán_

Da Flo

Chinese style
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 11:20:24 pm »
Does anyone know when the show was (year)?
greez flo

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
I have seen them live
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 11:12:22 am »
Quote from: Da Flo
Does anyone know when the show was (year)?
greez flo

A few years ago I went to see the Imperial Chinese Circus who were touring the UK in theatres. The circus was easily one of the most high level skill filled shows I have ever seen. People were doing stuff I literally never thought possible.

Some highlights:

A little girl balanced a huge stack of glasses on a pole on her chin, then got on a rolabola, then climbed up two ladders on each end of the rola bola, then climbed back down, then took the balance off her chin. That was the whole act. One trick. It took about 4 or 5 minutes.

The acrobats were very camp. The all wore sailor's outfits and dived through hoops. The tumbling that they did on such a small stage was amazing.

The clowns were actually funny. And there was a guy who did impressions of birds and planes and trains and things like that. Completely bonkers.

Even the jugglers were pretty good. They passed 15 rings between 3 people, and the main juggler ran 6 badminton raquets and flashed 7.

But the biggest highlight for me was the diabolo act, which was the same group of girls as that video (which I just downloaded and enjoyed), except it was about 2 or 3 times as long with loads more acrobatics, loads more passing and lots more 3 diabolo.

About 2 weeks before we went to the circus, a few people in our juggling club were chatting about whether it really was possible for anyone to run four diabolos. We had recently seen Tony trying it but not getting very far (this must have been after the EJC in 2001) and said that some people may be able to do it one day but never very solidly, and never to perform on stage. Like 7 balls can be done on stage, with no tricks, maybe a flash of 9, but nobody ever performs with 10 balls.

And then, sure enough, some little chinese girl performed 4 diabolos for us, the supposed experts on the matter. All the jugglers in the audience were cheering and clapping when we saw it happen... most of the audience didn't even notice it was one of the most amazing things they had ever seen.

She did it slightly different from in the video though. Instead of skipping before she starts catching and running 4 she ran 3, did a pirouette under 3 high and as she was pirouetting the forth was thrown in. She ran it for about 9 or 10 catches, then threw 2 out, did a pirouette under 2 and ran 2 again.

I don't know when that show was filmed for TV, but the troup may still be together and performing ever more skillful material. If you get a chance to see them, or even have a chance that there may be chance that that troup may be in a circus, go see it. It isn't often you get to see someone who makes Tony look ****...

Luke
Luke

Sean

• Administrator
Re: I have seen them live
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 06:03:09 pm »
Quote from: Luke Burrage
It isn't often you get to see someone who makes Tony look ****...

and a 12 year old Chinese girl no less!

Matt

• VotW Contributor
Chinese flava
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 04:50:29 pm »
I just watched the video and had to laugh because it was a Japanese broadcast of the Monte Carlo event.  It adds to the viewing experience to be able to hear the announcers gasping, "She's spinning!  She's spinning!" during the Chinese pirouette portion.  

In any case, I definitely dug the acrobatics during the high throws.  I'm inspired to try some 2 diabolo high donkey kicks and front handsprings now.  

Anyone remember the footage of Patrick Leonard doing a front flip through 1 diabolo on the 2000 Montreal IJA footage?  Sick....

Matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Chinese flava
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 05:12:34 pm »
Quote from: Matt
I'm inspired to try some 2 diabolo high donkey kicks

I'd incorporate that into your WJF routine if I were you... I think that's exactly  what the WJF is looking for.   :wink:

Arjan

Chinese style
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 05:16:51 pm »
Yeah indeed... they like high number low tricks such as pirouettes. I think the diabolo category is a very different way of juggeling they maybe don`t see..

MattF

Chinese style
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 05:54:19 pm »
those pirouettes are incredible. she must get fairly dizzy though :D

Sean

• Administrator
Chinese style
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 04:10:51 am »
Through this nifty video search engine which was mentioned on rec.juggling I came across this page of Chinese style diabolo videos. Thought it might be of interest to some:

http://www.cmlab.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~eric/cca/Diabolo-Dance/mpeg/mpeg.html

Sean

Matt_

• Donator
Chinese style
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 04:57:41 am »
wow, some of those are pretty amazing. the one where they are just passing the diabolo across the really long string is bizarre...

mitchelljuggles

Chinese style
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 05:15:28 am »
I find the the chinese style facinating.  
Im currently training with an ex chinese diabolo artist. been learning some of the more traditional tricks like "golden chicken over bridge" and "pumpkin in basket" as chinese/english translation goes. The tricks just flow into one another and when you throw some mad "european" stuff into the mix, combos so hot the devil himself gets scourched. (Im Australian, we dont have much else to do here cept diabolo and chase the odd kangeroo)

Ed

Chinese style
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 07:16:18 pm »
Quote from: seán_
Thanks Sean

that was great.

notice they all use left hand drives when doing two.

Seán_

Wierd i always use my left hand aswell.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
chinese/japanese diabolo videos
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 05:50:12 pm »
[Mod Edit - I've moved this post onto this old thread as it answers some of your question.  Would be good to see more chinese style stuff though!]

I'm realy interested in watching and learning from some chinese/japanese diabolo videos. I was hoping we could compile some links to these videos from this forum as I have heard there is a lot of interest in this style of diaboloing and I was hoping that I could develop my style from these videos.

cheers, Leo
Behind your back is your front.

seán_

Chinese style
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 07:30:16 pm »
Pretty much every video thats been posted on the forum is in the tricks sticky.
some names to look out for on the Japanese front are
Fariu (Takashi)
Makky
Ryo Yabe
Wes

also look out for
FEDC
Team DIA

there are some links of interest in the websites sticky as well.

Keep in mind that Chinese and Japanese styles are very  different.

If anybody any ideas of groupings for the sticky (such as by country) then PM me for a chat about what you envisage