Author Topic: mini diabolos  (Read 11178 times)

cdw06

mini diabolos
« on: December 14, 2004, 01:49:11 am »
Have any of you tried any of the mini diabolos like the HM viper one i believe it is. I was wondering how good they are and how much harder they are to handle and do basic tricks (not high throws tho) with.
"Death would be an awfully big adventure" - Peter Pan

seán_

mini diabolos
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:12:40 am »
basic rule of thumb is the smaller it is the trickier it is. The sort of thing I might like to have but not if it meant I had it instead of a 'normal' sized diabolo. When I have used diabolos smaller than say a henrys jazz or MB rubberking/ med halrlequin then I find some of the tricks I can do without thought as being slighty more tricky.

I haven't tried the HM viper, maybe somebody else will have a more definite answer. the smallest one I have used is a Henrys Kolibri, which I see as a toy.I do have a Henrys Viper http://www.henrys-online.de/En/E-YoYo.htm
which is a yo yo and is great (as a yo yo). I know they did make a kind of  yo yo / diabolo thing with a holster and very thin aluminium sticks and string but again I haven't used it.

Sean

• Administrator
mini diabolos
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 02:50:58 am »
I recommend trying some two diabolo tricks with one of the Mister Babache Picolinos (4.5cm, 40 grams) and a Circus. Really... it's  a lot of fun. Just keeping a shuffle going without the mini harlequin hitting the roof is entertaining enough.  :lol:

You'd be suprised what you can do with one of these little things, although they definitely aren't a substitute in any way for a normal sized one.

Sean

[Edit - I changed the mini to Picolino... that's what I meant originally but wasn't thinking straight at the time. Thanks for reminding me Moe! I've tried the mini harlequin with the circus as well... but the picolino and circus takes the cake.]

Moe

mini diabolos
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 12:22:33 pm »
I bought a MB Picolini a while ago, and I tell you... this is the smallest thing I've ever seen - 4.5 cm and weights only 40 grams.

It's really hard to speed up, and it gets a bit annoying since u drop it all the time...

...but it fits easily in your pocket =)

The only trick I've done with it so far is a trapeze, and that's hard enough! Would be cool to do some 2 or 3 tricks with it thou...

norbi

• VotW Contributor
mini diabolos
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 12:56:38 pm »
Arlekino (mini Harlequin) and Butterfingers Monster, that's where its at  :wink:

I have done some trapezes, and around the arm/diabolo (only one diabolo orbits the arm, other just sits there) and i think i JUST about pulled a suicide, Monster leading.

Tom_G

mini diabolos
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:44:12 pm »
I bought a tiny lil diabolo on a school trip to Prague once... I think the best thing is just throwing it - the smaller the diabolo, the higher it goes  :D

It's not as small as Moe's one, 6cm across, but it spins fine, though loses spin pretty quickly, so you can't really do as much stuff with it - I don't think it's quite as useful as the bigger ones, though good for a laugh. Need to try that and a Circus on one string....  :P
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

mini diabolos
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 03:53:05 am »
Here's an mpeg clip from a while ago of me doing a sprinkler with a Harlequin and a Kolibri .  It feels very goofy when you're trying do to simple tricks with a mini diabolo and large one.  I almost finish the sprinkler.  :wink:
Mini diabolo sprinkler

Julian

Beanster

mini diabolos
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 10:13:24 pm »
Think i musta got the same diabolo from prague as Tom_G. I saw it and had never seen anything that small before so got it there and then even at a bit of a silly price. What i love about the little ones is that they totally disappear on high throws. Proper scary coming down though! Its basically just a chunk of metal with a couple of plastic wings, so its more or less a bullet. You do not want to get hit!

Ifrit

mini diabolos
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 12:01:56 am »
i had a go on a mini diabolo last year. i cant remeber the name but it was just like a henrys viper yo-yo. it was a lot of fun and as sean said it is suprising what you can pull of with them.

i managed to do so simple trapeze combos, basic body orbits, uber high throws (with catchs to) as well as a normal suicide and inf-suicide. It did take alot of trys to manage a whip catch though maily because of the 15cm sticks.

Still they are grt fun and after looking back i think i might try and buy one  now that ive got some cash.

Marco

mini diabolos
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 05:05:41 pm »
I have one mini diabolo, but i dont use it much...I dont know what it is named and it has much colors (like a rainbow)  :D

Chiok

• Donator
mini diabolos
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 09:17:01 pm »
I'll assume it's a Mister Babache Piccolino (I think that's what the tiny one is called).  Solid axle, rubbish for lots, but at £5 a pop, fun to have just in case.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
mini diabolos
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 06:52:52 pm »
I actually managed to pull off some pretty good tricks with my picollini (if Chiok is right about it being the smallest Babache). Ive had it for ages and never really bothered playing with it, its a lot easier than i thought. Neck bounce is a lot less worrying than with my circus.  

Susannah

dave from the grave

• VotW Contributor
Re: mini diabolos
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 07:00:21 pm »
i like the henrys mini diabolos. had a go with one at bristol and was suprised at what you can do with them. genosides aint that hard and its just so small and cute "slap" sorry got a little carried away there but they are cool. im waiting to see sean_'s exaliber genocide!!!
Beware of the super secret guild of shadow spooners!

GbH

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:33:36 pm »
Have you all seen the new (well, I'm assuming they're new and it's not just me being old and out of touch) style of Henrys mini diabolo?  Having not seen them before, yesterday I chanced upon them in a toy shop and bought one.  Having played with it a little now, they're MUCH easier to use than the last design and I quite like the supplied sticks, too.  I kinda wish I'd bought a couple of them, now, but I suppose I'll have plenty of chances another time.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 05:24:23 pm »
Are we talking about the new design after the old design which had a longer axle and wider cups I think.  Or is there a "newer" design?

The one I'm thinking about came out not more than a year ago I think and have the above improvements so that you could actually play with it in a semi-serious mode.  I've not looked at one up close unfortunately.  Though the mini-sticks are interesting...

Chiok
(an awful lot of catching up to do)

GbH

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 09:32:19 pm »
Are we talking about the new design after the old design which had a longer axle and wider cups I think.  Or is there a "newer" design?

Erm, I'm not sure.  I certainly hadn't seen one of the 'new' ones before, that doesn't mean a whole lot.  Perhaps this will explain all:

My older version is in the middle, the new one on the right.  Just for reference, the left one is a Hype model.  The sticks at the front came with the new one.  Does that answer your question?

Guy

Greg

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 01:03:05 am »
can anybody help me find where can i get one of these mini diabs? they look fun  :)

Im in the UK so hopefully it will be a UK/europe based seller.

Thankyou

dave from the grave

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 10:55:53 am »
i saw them at bristol at butterfingers
Beware of the super secret guild of shadow spooners!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 10:58:21 am »
Ah right, that clears things up, thanks Guy.

The large Viper on the right is the new version that was released last year.  I was surprised that you couldn't change the Viper yo-yo hubs with the new design, but that's to be understood when you see how much larger the Viper diabolo is.  I guess it plays alot nicer now and tricks are not out of the realm of possibility.  Does it still come with a belt holster, or is it just too chunky now?

Cool little sticks though, you could feasibly juggle the lot in the air and still do a quick 3D shuffle.

As for retailers, I think all the major ones stock them (Butterfingers, Firetoys, Oddballs).  Ask if it's the new one or not.

Chiok
(wow, it told me there was a new post before I posted)

Martijn

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 02:03:24 pm »
(wow, it told me there was a new post before I posted)

Yeah, nice little feature huh? It warns you on new replies made while posting (if that's what you mean).
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl