Author Topic: Pure ownage perhaps? [mind blowing tricks inside]  (Read 20440 times)

clickdeath

Pure ownage perhaps? [mind blowing tricks inside]
« on: July 21, 2006, 12:14:27 am »
Ok this isnt me, this is a guy i've met once, hes a friend of a friend, anyway my friend was moaning at him for never making any videos, so he made this...

http://clickdeath.co.uk/video/LangleyDevilsDiabolo.avi

hope you like it

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:28:25 am »
That was fresh, retro, 'Japanese', original, fast, furious, and mind blowing all in one! Enjoyed that very much!

Martijn

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:25 am »
I second that Sean. That was a great video, good editing as well. I really like your fast japanese yoyo style. Lots of crazy variations, you inspired me! (you can tell him that)

Could you ask him if he's in for the Collaboration video? If so, that'd be really nice. Thanks :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Flo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:37:26 am »
I really like this style!
Especially the first stick curl was awesome!

Flo
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Paul

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 03:14:52 am »
My god that was rapid!

I like very much. Keep it up!
Peace

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:17:26 am »
heh, that was different. cool video, i enjoyed that.

jake

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:41:13 am »
im having troubles playing the video...anyone else having problems?

frank0072

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 07:43:41 am »
well, that was just totally INSANE! Most of the times I can see what is done in video's, but this one just blew me of my socks. I can't follow it, it amazing.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Flo

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 08:25:30 am »
Quote from: jake
im having troubles playing the video...anyone else having problems?

Simply use VLC-Player and it'll work!

Spooned

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 09:43:24 am »
Very nice, especially the bit with the bin lid :P also why the referance to purepwnage not quite getting that
Diabolo or Diablo

clickdeath

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 10:26:02 am »
its not referenced to pure pwnage. i just used the word ownage because most of the stuff ive watched so far doesnt even compare to that stuff. its even better in the flesh!!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37:41 am »
Wow, listen to that ratchet fly!  That's a great style, love the look.  It's the type of style I wanted to try and obtain with lots of whips, trapezes and releases, guess I should have done more yoyo.

Some great tricks and control, some of those webs and whips looked insane, I thought he was gonna loose his cigarette.  And rightly so, bad for you.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

The Void

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:39:51 pm »
Cool!

That is all.

The Void
Oh yeah, .... work.....
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 03:50:15 pm »
Definately yoyo influenced. Most of the tricks I didn't understand but it looked phenominal. Thanks for sharing!
Behind your back is your front.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 04:10:50 pm »
Good video ,
I'd like to see what he can do with 2 diabolos ^^
Music was nice too

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 04:39:13 pm »
I may be wrong but I don't think he will be as good with two as he is with one. His one diabolo skills are awesome, no question about that. I think he has transfered his yoyo tricks to diabolo rather than using diabolo-only tricks.  At one point he attempts a realy sketchy infinate suicide-this tells me that he hasn't realy seen many diabolo tricks and he can do crazy yoyo based tricks rather than some of the diabolo basics. He has transfered the yoyo tricks to diabolo well but because he's taught himself mainly (I think anyway) he may not be aware of the possibilities with multiple diabolos. Also running two yoyo's on the same string is quite uncommon and he may not have tried that.

This is just an estimated guess,

Leo

---------------------
Boy, would I look stupid if I was wrong now.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 07:02:35 pm »
that's what I though , so iut's why I want to see what he's able to do at 2 diabolo (if he can do 2 diabolo)

clickdeath

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 07:08:14 pm »
i'd rather see someone do stuff like that than the usual boring stuff i've seen in the past.

Martijn

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 07:41:58 pm »
I wanna see that stuff, with 2! :mrgreen:

Spink

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 07:45:05 pm »
I wouldn't say the other stuff is boring, but that is deffinitley the way i am heading on diabolo atm.

All those super quick lacerations are awsome (and the rest i cant follow (yet)) but add some mini g's and integrals in there and I think that style could become a difinitive style for 1D.

I wonder what Nick makes of it?

I thought it rocked, more please
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Flo

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 09:00:58 pm »
Quote from: Martijn
I wanna see that stuff, with 2! :mrgreen:

Well, look at Makki and many other Japanese guys.

Martijn

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 09:10:35 pm »
I know, but still, that's different. Everybody has it's own style. This is cool in another way.

pranay

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:59 pm »
Yes it is a great video!!
He showed us almost only yoyotricks but that is great because we can,t watch(or it,s very difficult to watch)these tricks because the yoyo is so small and now it,s easier to learn the tricks because the diabolo is bigger and moves slower!! :D
i don,t want to say diabolo is better than yoyo but with the diabolo you have simply more possibillities.In yoyo you need different yoyos to make different styles.
I see one problem in competitions.if someone showes many yoyotricks and the judjes don,t know them.what should they do? :roll:
At the end I want to say that yoyoing is GREAT because it lookes so good and brought all these amazing tricks to Diabolo!!! :lol:

I_Ko

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 10:10:31 pm »
I like the video for sure. It is really miles away from my style, I think that if you do that kind of stuff in front of an audience, you could allmost just do the same trick over and over again, because people cannot see what you are doing in that speed. I like smooth tricks, where you can see what is happening.

But indeed a nice video.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 01:05:47 am »
well i've got a few words to say to whoever posted this, you clearly dont understand yoyo in the slightest to have posted such an absolute pile of mac, and how is anyone ever going to progress if they only use tricks that have already been done? and i'll get the point "At one point he attempts a realy sketchy infinate suicide" the suicide starts in two wraps. and it is pysicaly impossible to do infinate suicides that way on a ratchet diabolo. so in fact you sir are a retard... by the way its my video    

Quote from: guppygould
I may be wrong but I don't think he will be as good with two as he is with one. His one diabolo skills are awesome, no question about that. I think he has transfered his yoyo tricks to diabolo rather than using diabolo-only tricks.  At one point he attempts a realy sketchy infinate suicide-this tells me that he hasn't realy seen many diabolo tricks and he can do crazy yoyo based tricks rather than some of the diabolo basics. He has transfered the yoyo tricks to diabolo well but because he's taught himself mainly (I think anyway) he may not be aware of the possibilities with multiple diabolos. Also running two yoyo's on the same string is quite uncommon and he may not have tried that.

This is just an estimated guess,

Leo

---------------------
Boy, would I look stupid if I was wrong now.
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

seán_

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 03:13:16 am »
Quote from: LaNgErZ
....so in fact you sir are a retard... by the way its my video    

...This is just an estimated guess,

Oh so its your video, that gives you the complete right to act with no class,
sweet first post

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 04:10:34 am »
LaNgErZ, my advice is.. never post when you're angry! Guppy's post had kind a weird tone to it, but being reactionary never helps things. Especially with a first post no less, as sean said..

Hopefully this thread will stay on track, since I think it is an important video in a lot of ways. Let's all play nice people... :)

pranay:
i don,t want to say diabolo is better than yoyo but with the diabolo you have simply more possibillities.In yoyo you need different yoyos to make different styles.

Hah.. let's not even go there. :)  That way lies madness like trying to compare diabolos and ball juggling or something. Just for the record, for four of the five main styles in yo-yoing, you could easily use the same yo-yo. The exception is Looping, where you need a thinner yo-yo than most would prefer in the other styles. For everything else it is just preference. You don't actually need big rubber hubs for offstring (and in fact the winner of Japan nats for offstring uses a regular yo-yo).

Think about this... most people use a smaller diabolo for solid-loop since it is lighter and the string doesn't cut your hands so much. Or a wider axle for finger grinds. Different kinds of sticks.. Not to mention fixed axle versus ratchet diabolo which have different strengths. I don't know that yo-yos and diabolo are quite as different as you may think in terms of needing different equipment.

Anyway, I'm just glad to see overlap of styles in all kinds of juggling props and skill toys. I hate any kind of elitism from one skill to another because we all have lots to learn from each other. Like a lot of jugglers didn't give poi a chance, but it has developed a lot of tricks over the last couple of years (both in traditional, glowstringer, and yo-yo circles).

I'll have to see if I can try to learn some of the tricks in this vid.. I think I'll have to stick with mostly the slack whip stuff for now though, since it seems like the quad-on trapeze type stuff would be a lot easier with a bearing diabolo.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 08:22:57 am »
well i've got a few words to say to whoever posted this, you clearly dont understand yoyo in the slightest to have posted such an absolute pile of mac, and how is anyone ever going to progress if they only use tricks that have already been done? and i'll get the point "At one point he attempts a realy sketchy infinate suicide" the suicide starts in two wraps. and it is pysicaly impossible to do infinate suicides that way on a ratchet diabolo. so in fact you sir are a retard... by the way its my video

1. I was only making an educated guess on what tricks you are probably capable of by watching the video.

2. I forgot that ratchet diabolos struggle in a wrap, so I'm sorry for that comment.

3. You could progress a lot if you learnt tricks that had already invented, if I could do every trick that had ever been invented. I would be one of the top diaboloists on the planet. I can't but I think you can see the point I'm trying to make.

4. I don't claim to know a lot about yoyoing but I have a friend who is pretty decent with yoyos and from what I've seen your on your video you use your diabolo like a 1A yoyo.

I'm sorry if my post seemed a bit weird and negative but I genuinly enjoyed watching it because your style is completely different.
His one diabolo skills are awesome, no question about that.
Definately yoyo influenced. Most of the tricks I didn't understand but it looked phenominal. Thanks for sharing!

Finally, maybe you should consider correcting people when they are wrong on a certain subject rather than resorting to childish name calling. This forum is for people to put their own ideas and opinions across, give and seek help and guidance and most importantly enjoy!

That is all.

_Rezi

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 10:34:45 am »
Well,
It was marvelous. I realy love this style. I can honestly say that ist one of the best diabolo movies I have ever seen. It realy doesnt metter if there is just one diabolo and maybe there is a lot of trick which are realy easy to do but main is the result and its imposing.
I just hope not everybody now want to do the same, because its so nice if its extraordinary and unusual. So keep the eye and just wonder about diabolo frenzy :twisted:

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 10:09:36 pm »
i liked the tricks and the style, i enjoyed watching the whole video
zack turner

Morphine

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 09:55:37 am »
My brain hurts  :shock:
UK Circus Skills Forum :  - http://alljuggledup.co.uk/forum2/
YouJuggle.com Juggling Videos - http://www.youjuggle.com

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 12:46:25 pm »
yeah alright to be be fair i am definatly yoyo influenced, that doesn't mean however that they are all yoyo tricks. a mere 1 trick on the video could be converted. also of course at some stage i have learnt some traditional diabolo tricks. but i would not use them in my video because its kind of like ripping them off. i can also assure you that i am aware of the possibillities with multiple diabolo's that will probably be one of my next posts. looper and 1d ring look like the next things to post seeing as you dont really see it anywere. anyway guppygould i would like to pass judgement on some of your skills, please direct me to your nearest vid.

cheers everyone who watched and posted much apreciated. keep it up

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 03:33:20 am »
it doesn't make sense to say "you cant judge me because you dont have my skills". my favorite baseball commentator is Mike Krukow, he is a local commentator for the SF Giants. i love his commentary and the things he has to say about baseball. but you know what? he was a pretty bad baseball player. most people don't know much of his career. does that mean that the things he says are incorrect, because he isn't as good as the players he comments on? absolutely not! in fact, if you say, "well, let's see YOUR skills," that's a fallacious argument (its called tu quoque, i believe).

when someone has something to say to you, attack their argument, not them (that's ad hominem).

and notice that in his post he said "i may be wrong" and even admitted it was "just an estimated guess" and said "boy, would i look stupid if i was wrong." it was a self fulfilled prophecy! so why do you have to tear him up?

so...chill. everyone has a different style. it's weird that people are bashing you for not doing their style, yet they are giving you props for having your own style in the first place. i don't get it.

by the way, what type of diabolo are you using? a yoho superspin?

frank0072

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 09:14:15 am »
if I would speak english just as good as Matt_ I would have said exactly the same thing. Chill out.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

nev

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 12:21:16 pm »
I'm liking this video a lot.  Thats a really nice crossover style which makes me want to know more about yoyo.  I always liked Nick's whip / web stuff and this video has added a further dimension.

Anyone who has that amount of control over their prop (whatever the style) definatley gains my respect.

Thank for sharing.

And Matt_ its not a superspin - my guess would be a spinabolo (from the distinctive ratchet sound & the fact that superpins dont ufo grind that well)
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Martijn

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 04:17:26 pm »
Quote from: nev
And Matt_ its not a superspin - my guess would be a spinabolo (from the distinctive ratchet sound & the fact that superpins dont ufo grind that well)

Yeap, that was my guess as well.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 05:27:10 pm »

oh ok. hmm, they have those in a local shop! i should get one. i want to get a rachet diabolo, but i'm not sure which to get...i've been waiting for the MB version. well, maybe i should take that discussion to a different thread :P

Martijn

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 06:33:36 pm »
Yeah... keep waiting another 10 years, and I bet they still haven't come out. Also, the slippery cups of the spinabolo are very nice to play with, you can do some great ufo grinds and other schnit with them.

Quote from: Matt_
oh ok. hmm, they have those in a local shop!

You're so lucky! I had to order them from Texas, took them about 7 weeks to get here :P

clickdeath

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 09:53:27 am »
Yeah it's a spiabolo. I cant wait to get mine, it's on the way from america free of charge ;) along with over $100 worth of yoyos for free too!!

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 12:31:31 pm »
yeah it's a spinab, but that one's the pro one. get that it's so much better for fast stuff. it's smaller than the normal one but still fairly weighty. does anyone actually use a superspin? cause i had one and it was properly rank, it would always get the harshest death wobbles. and whats the MB version i'm intrigued......

seriously dude i never said that!
Quote from: Matt_
it doesn't make sense to say "you cant judge me because you dont have my skills".

all i meant was if he wrote an essay evaluating my style then i would like to have a look to see his point of view. it was not meant to be a ripp!

seriously ceasefire!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 12:53:02 pm »
does anyone actually use a superspin? cause i had one and it was properly rank, it would always get the harshest death wobbles. and whats the MB version i'm intrigued......

Strange - I find the spinabolo has more tendency to go into wobbles at high speed than the superpins (if you stick a bit of threadlock on them to keep everything tight).  Both are fantastic for vertax btw (and so incidentally are some of your tricks as I'm discovering).  

The MB version is the much fabled Evo 3 kit for the finesse diabolo (a ratchet axel kit to fit the existing finesse diabolo - promised long ago and probably never to be released.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 02:00:38 pm »
i always have to tighten mine every half an hour or so. it's not so bad with a fresh axle and bearing but the older they get the easier they become loose and the more disgusting they sound

Both are fantastic for vertax btw

what's vertax?

and i dont reckon i'd like the babache with a ratchet,

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 02:33:11 pm »
what's vertax?

It's when the diabolo is spining sideways so that one of the cups is facing the floor.

I have been playing basketball for the last week so I haven't had a chance to reply. I don't have any videos because I don't have a camera so you probably won't see one for a while.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 02:34:48 pm »
vertax is when you get the diabolo spining in the vertical plane rather than horizontal - basically one cup facing the ground and one the sky.  Its also refered to as excalibur.  Have a search around the forum - there are plenty of videos about.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 03:12:26 pm »
alright so does that mean that anything at all involving the diabolo inverted can be classed as vertax? or does it just mean on string play?
either way i cant do it at all really. i ripped my face open doing it with a battered spinab once. but if anyone is sick at it they should try that missed trapeze double inverse suicide thing because well... i use it to get to backside of the string (bare with me i am going somewhere with this) ie genocide position. but normally it wouldn't look smooth at all after that trick but if someone could do that vertax! it would flow so smoothly into a normal genocide. that would be so sick and it is definatly possible.

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2006, 01:42:00 am »
I've been meaning to get a ratchet diabolo for a while, so I think I'll grab one of the spinabolo pros. Hopefully they'll be for sale at the world yo-yo contest, since there's a diabolo ladder contest going on there. You're not attending that are you LaNgErZ?

clickdeath.. what's this about a spinabolo and yo-yos for free? ;)

Shawn

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2006, 11:52:20 am »
nah i'm far too lazy to embark on such an intense mission like that. how big is this trick ladder? simon mentioned it last night. i'm awfull with trick names and remembering exactly what they are anyway i woulnd't stand a chance. where can i have a look at it?

clickdeath

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2006, 05:21:36 pm »
Hey Shawn!! I was on YoYo Gameshow a while back over on theyo!! I won a few nice prizes and Stu is sending me a spinab too!!

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2006, 06:23:36 pm »
LaNgErZ, you can see the ladder here with videos. It is pretty permissive since it is aimed at beginners right now:
http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2006worlds/diabolo.php

I think Worlds this year will be the most juggling-ish that it's been in a while. Sounds like a fair amount of diabolists (I'm sure many of the japanese players do diabolo too) and Jason Garfield doing workshops..

clickdeath, very cool. :) Congrats on winning that..

Shawn

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2006, 12:47:08 pm »
yeah it's kind of primitive but then suddenly you get that kyocide thing (i guess that kyos his name?) i just seems a bit random? it might just be me i dont really like the idea of trick ladders anyway so im fairly biassed

kandyman2

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2006, 04:13:11 pm »
:shock: Well what can i say being an ole school 40+ except Awesome! This kid is taking it to another level. I look forward to seeing him again in the real!
Seeing the tricks in the Vid says it all, fast and exciting!, no ballet dancing here..  Watch Out gang a storm is coming...........

tghops

Re: Pure ownage perhaps? [mind blowing tricks inside]
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2006, 04:04:15 am »
Is this video still online.  When I click on the link it brings me to a photo of a rose. If anyone knows a way that I could watch this itd be much appreciated.

Martijn

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2006, 01:34:20 pm »
I dunno, it also doesn't work for me, so I uploaded it. I hope you don't mind LaNgErZ?

mirror: [offline]

damiano3

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 10:52:52 pm »
Can someone re-post this video somewhere or let me know a link.

Cheers

nev

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 11:20:46 pm »
OK - just because its Sir Langley

here you go (please right click save as)

New host good - old host BAD - never EVER use GISOL as a hosting company

damiano3

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2008, 11:33:59 pm »
Erm... sorry to be a pain in the Ass (again..)

The video is all just lines in Media Player and Real Player and is upside down in DivX player.

I have divX Xvid etc etc installed. What codec is this file?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2008, 11:56:51 pm »
Dowload vlc
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Its free - and its all you'll ever need - you won't use Media player again EVER

New host good - old host BAD - never EVER use GISOL as a hosting company

allsoppy5

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 12:19:34 pm »
correct me if i am wrong but... Wooden sticks?

Anyway absolutly love the video. Opening is great!

Sottle

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »
I'm so happy that this got necro'd. Even go look at Langelys first post! Pissed up spontaneous reactions are the way to go.

The Void

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 07:31:02 pm »
Can someone re-post this video somewhere or let me know a link.
Cheers

It's available to stream or download on this page (scroll down for the download link).

The Void
Clickdeft
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

Midoryu

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2008, 02:00:11 am »
No wonder this guy seems familiar...I've seen a video of him somewhere else in this forum!!!  Didn't know he was Langerz though...bit of a surprise there.

Should I choose from a) "I'm dizzy!!!" or b) "Need slow-mo frame-by-frame program to catch that" or c) The Original?
I'll go with the original:
Cool
Nice
You rock
Nice thousands-of-hours practicing on yo-yo before starting on this

But now that you're 2 years older than when the video came on, I'm sure you're even better now.

By the way...smoking = bad for your respiratory functions = less oxygen to your brain = won't have clear head = slower reaction time.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

fasilevi

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 02:27:39 am »
But now that you're 2 years older than when the video came on, I'm sure you're even better now.

By the way...smoking = bad for your respiratory functions = less oxygen to your brain = won't have clear head = slower reaction time.

yes, he is even better now. http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=dd0c4e8bdbcc82c6ba23

by the way..."slower reaction time"? i think he's the fastest i've seen in my life.