Author Topic: Ends keep coming out of my aluminum sticks :(  (Read 4763 times)

kragen

Ends keep coming out of my aluminum sticks :(
« on: December 14, 2004, 02:08:08 pm »
My alumilium sticks keep on breaking!

The tips of the sticks, where the knot in the string lies, keeps on popping out. As far as I can tell it should be held in just by the alumilium gripping the metal of the end bit, but the alumilium has stretched I think, and it no longer holds that well.

Has this happened to anyone else? How do I fix it?

The best idea ive had so far is some strong glue.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 02:25:54 pm »
You are talking about Mr. Babache Performer aluminum sticks, right? There's nothing to come apart on the Henrys version.

I have seen this happen for *many* people. Perhaps you could try expoxy... maybe a better solution is to ditch those huge, heavy, metal beasts in exchange for something Henrys or the new Babache sticks coming out soon. ;)

Sean

kragen

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:28:46 pm »
yeah those are the ones,

I am getting carbon sticks soon, but I do quite like the feel of my alu sticks (although they are exceptionaly misformed from repeated failed suicide / duicide / genocide attempts :P

I have some epozy at home, I'll have a go at fixing it then.
Justin

Paul

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:40:06 am »
I was thinking of getting some aliminium sticks cos my carbon fibres break too often. Are these not that reliable either?
Peace

seán_

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 12:44:32 am »
The above sticks are the old MB ones. Henrys ones have a different design so this isn't a problem but some people seem to break strings with them. I don't  that often if you keep your eye on nicks in the metal and tie knots that rotate things should be peachy.

I reckon you have a better stick life than with fibreglass/carbon but the ally sticks are at the heavy end of the scale (which suits some people just fine)

nezzybaby

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 10:37:34 am »
I like the aluminium sticks almost purelyfor the sound they make when grinding, its sounds awesome. Also i found the carbon fibre ones seemed to creak a little when using them, and i didnt feel like they were working for me.

On the other engllish forum, the yahoo one, there was a lot of people saying that metal sticks made the string snap more frequently by the end. This has proven a small problem, but you only lose the length of string in the knot, and it normally doesnt happen until the string is very dirty. And i bought a 100m reel of string last year so i just change the string when it gets that old.

think mine must be the henrys ones, they have a small hole at the end which you can put the string through and tie a knot which will never pull through.

kragen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 03:54:38 pm »
yeah I found the alu sticks made the sting snap fairly frequently, it did only shorten the string by a little, but a little each time added up and I ended up changing strings fairly often.

I have a pair of carbon sticks now, but the feel of them is very different to the ally sticks, and im not sure if I prefer it or not :P
Justin