Author Topic: Aluminum or Carbon?  (Read 3213 times)

Skywav

Aluminum or Carbon?
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:18:18 pm »
Hello everyone, first post and i have a question.

Well i got my diabolo a couple weeks ago and am loving it.  Ive been looking at getting some new sticks because after a few hours of diabolo my hands start to hurt and i think it would be great to have those hand grips.

The only thing is that i do not know which way to go.  The carbon fiber look nice but i see it wastes a lot of string so i would have to get a spool because the extra strings i got will not be long enough.  

So i guess im looking for some advice.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of aluminum vs carbon handsticks?

seán_

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 09:41:23 pm »
Hi Mate.

Just before anybody else jumps in,this has been covered pretty well in posts in the equipment sticky http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.

you know the string loss allready. pluses, theyre light. most people go for short.

the metal ones dont waste string, theyre heavier (i like the weight)

if you are unsure and you cant try them out punt for the cheapest, henrys ally.

Have a look through those threads, good luck, enjoy your stay, dont forget to introduce yourself in the top thread.

Sean_

Skywav

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:48:20 pm »
Thanks a lot for the info.  I took a look at some of those threads and right now i think i will opt for the aluminum sticks for now.  Like you said, they are cheaper and i cant really make up my mind.  And i think anything will be better than these wooden ones.

onewheeldave

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:48:39 am »
Bear in mind that if you're using Circus's with the stock metal hubs, that aluminium sticks will quickly ruin them.

Isn't it also the case that, with carbon sticks, string wastage can be eliminated by simply tying on household string to the ends, which then is fed through the handsticks?

Personally, I use aluminiums because they're a good price, never break and cos I mainly use Finesse or a Circus with replacement teflon hubs.

Ginger_Tom

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 02:28:16 am »
I used to use ally's, but i now much prefer carbons.

I dont have to rely on the stick swinging a certain way because theyre so light, and I feel in complete control.

They are also faster for mini-genocides, genocides, suicides and slowicides so it's probably a progress thing, but my friend dan has used them from the word go and loves them.

I am working on a way to stop the string wastage, so maybe one day all will be better with carbons.

Theres my 2 pence.
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

Skywav

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:30:28 am »
I am using a Finesse with the finger spin kit.  And i went ahead and ordered the Henrys Aluminum and i think it was a good choice.  

Besides, they are cheap and the only thing that i really want is a grip, because holding on to those thin wooden sticks for hours on end makes my hand ache.  

Thanks for the info guys :D

seán_

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 10:11:58 am »
relax your grip a bit, that might help. also vary your hand movements a bit or else over time somepeople find they get wrist problems

Mithew

Aluminum or Carbon?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »
Some people tried to stop string wastage by getting the string knotted at the tip of the handsticks, but then the sticks would break more often due to the stress.  I like carbon fibers more but its all a matter of preference, I don't think either one confers a huge advantage skill-wise (but carbon-fiber are more expensive long term which is why I somewhat regret having started with them, now I'm used to them and I'm too lazy to switch).
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.