Author Topic: Lets Have Fun (was: Check This shop)  (Read 9254 times)

Phil189

Lets Have Fun (was: Check This shop)
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:38:37 am »
Just before we start im not in any way connected or related to the shop or the owner atall. i ordered from him on monday night and "Tom" said that i should let yous guys know about it because it was pritty cheap and the discounts where very good.

i found this shop on ebay but then refered to his shop on the web. i was wondering why the prices are so cheap. he is selling nearly everything at about 2 or 3 pounds cheaper than anyother shop. the postage is around 2 pounds to anywhere in uk. the postage is next day recorded for about 2.18 it is quite good.

check it out let me know what you think. i was worryed at the start about ordering because at that price i was a bit surprised if it was true or not but he was very good emailed me throughout my order and then told me it was dispached, and two days after i received the order he emailed me to see if i got it ok. so i would reconmend the shop. if anyone has any comments please post them for other users.

philip
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

jacky

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:56:40 pm »
there's not much thing of diabolo on the website,i think it is a yoyo website cause yoyo are link to diabolo..

Phil189

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:07:13 pm »
It is a Website specailising in Yoyo's it has only recently started to stock diabolos, but they do stock the main diabolo's, main handsticks, and other diabolo products such as books dvds and strings.

they only have started this summer to stock these products, they asked a few months ago about what ones to stock and you can read this in the forum but the range i feel looks quite good for only stocking them a sort time and the products are the cheapest ive seen in the uk.
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:42:28 am »
http://www.oddballs.co.uk/ is about 2-4pound cheaper then that site!!.....
Diaboloing is finaly in... Yay!
my videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SirHJock

Phil189

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:01:17 am »
Im sorry Sir H Jock did you look at the website and compair it with oddballs. the price of most things are actauly cheaper at letshavefun. the finnesse is Price:  £20.49  at oddballs and £17.99 at lets have fun. i know its not much but why give more money to oddballs.

Morphine

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »
I understand the comsumers point of view that cheaper is always better, but somtimes consumers need to use their money wisely, in order to support the community they are part of.

The people who have traded (in certain ways) on Ebay over the last 5 years have laid waste to many industries. By not having shop floors, holding stock, performing, promoting, teaching and supporting customers they can easily afford to greatly undercut those who do.

Many of these 'traders' have real fulltime jobs to support themselves and their families with, selling items on ebay and making a few pence in profit for themselves. When they have driven all the small indipendent retailers out of business, there will be nobody left to to invent/improve skills or pass on skills to our following generations, there will be nobody left who really understands what we are looking for and nobody left to improve and repair the things we use everyday.

So many industries have been battered in this way and will never recover. We are all now at the mercy of HUGE multi-national companies, because the smaller retailers just can`t exist in the world we are creating. In the town I live in the only small shops to survive are mobile phone shops and greetings card shops.

I fear juggling is going the same way, at a festival recently everyone was selling poi, none of them where demonstrating, talking or teaching poi related skills because they had no interest in Poi other than how much they could make. Poi are just like t-shirts and novilty lighters as far as they are concerned.

Shop around for good deal, you`d be stupid not to. Perhaps we should all think about where we spend our money, when all the passionate retailing diaboloist have gone under their will be nobody left who is interested or skilled enough to teach our children how to hold one handstick still and whip the handstick with the other, then diabolo will be just another  old dead art form.
UK Circus Skills Forum :  - http://alljuggledup.co.uk/forum2/
YouJuggle.com Juggling Videos - http://www.youjuggle.com

diplodicai

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 05:06:52 pm »
I see the point that you are making regarding ebay. However, I've got to say this guy seems to be breaking a bit of new ground. There is nowhere I've found in the UK that does anything like that range of Yo Yo's. Also, whenever I've dealt with him, he has been nothing but top quality. He let me know everything about my order and has started stocking some of those yo's at my suggestion. I will certainly buy from him, as to me he is the very definition of an independant retailer.
Dude, not on the rug.

Phil189

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 06:26:19 pm »
I agree with diplodicai in some many ways, but disagree with Morphine in others, i understand your views of ebay but why not fight big companies by creating an alternitive for customers where they can get the same products but cheaper.

many jugglers trade on ebay and they make a living via that along with there full time teaching and other activities. just because ebay is so cheap it doesnt mean it is always bad it can be looked at in another slant that because these small companies and people are able to offer better prices it actauly fights large companies getting larger and fighting small shops out of towns.

this guy only does this, this is his normal job and steriotyping him is unjust and unfair without actualy getting anything of him. i share some of your views but with others i dont agreee and i think im making the point that just because his prices are low it doesnt mean that he is fighting small shops or other companys hes just being compeditive and if the other shops cant beat the prices like he can then thats why they fail not the fault of the compedor.

this shop has offered different products because they asked the customer what they wanted and offered it this is a good thing because the customer is the most important person. ill be buying from him again soonb, by the way is it worth getting some of that yellow henrys string, does it make much difference.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 06:29:54 pm »
Quote from: Morphine
I understand the comsumers point of view that cheaper is always better...then diabolo will be just another  old dead art form.

Well said! Can't agree more.
Skype us at juggling.for.jugglers
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Juggling-For-Jugglers

Phil189

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 06:37:02 pm »
well if you actauly enjoyed and followed the art form of the diabolo like i do and im sure everyone on this forum does then it would not become a dead art forum and if you where actauly loyal to the diabolo and seen it as a hobbie like i do then you would not beleive that it would become a dead art form and better more you would not let it die because you would still buy the stuff whatever price.

Morphine

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 08:23:50 pm »
Phil, I think you missed most of my point. And your right, I don`t think I`ve met the online trader out in the real world that`s why I`m not taking about him as an individual, you obviously know him better than me :)

it can be looked at in another slant that because these small companies and people are able to offer better prices it actauly fights large companies getting larger and fighting small shops out of towns.

There are very few PLC companies inlvolved with the retailing and teaching of circus at the moment, one day if the popuilrity is high enough and the competition and prices are cut-thought enough maybe they will step in, screw the manufacturers and monoplolise the industry as best they can. It`s what they do.

well if you actauly enjoyed and followed the art form of the diabolo like i do and im sure everyone on this forum does then it would not become a dead art forum

It just doesn`t work like that. Companies that actually get out into the real world and engage people, especially young people, keep circus skills alive, they have to spend large sums of money in order to do it. Hundreds of people need to try the diabolo, just for one or two of those to really take to it, without the newcomers diabolo will eventually die out just like many other circus art FORMS have.

Phil189

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 09:23:50 pm »
Well im relatively new to the art form and i would say that it is up to the new comers to the art form to keep it living. but i think that there are alot of people not willing to let it die and it will not die as long as there is people like us you want to keep it alive.

large companys may explot the diabolo scene and it may not be as good as it is already but big companys like Mr babache and Henrys are two companys who have their fingers on the pulse of diaboling, they will be the two companie who will keep the art form alive.

i know what you mean by big companys trying to take over and making the art form die but i dont think this will happen. there are alot of shops i was looking about for good shops and good prices also and i found alot of compition. compition is healthly from time and time and it is good for things sometime and then again there is the bad side. it is the bad side that you talk about.

it is up to the indivial traders to set the price, and its up to compition for these tradors to undercut prices to servive. this is a good thing most of the time as the customer gets the better deal most of the time. the world of diavolo is a far way away from what you talk of and i cant see it happening.

remember that customers are always going to look for the best deal you can never stop that but its also up to the sellers and manufactors to met these customers needs if this is not reached then the customers will not buy the products and the art from will die but this will hopefully not happen.

you may be looking to much into it. the shop is pritty good and for diaboloest who are buying all these things it is better to get the cheapest. im only letting people know incase they want to get a good deal.
 :roll:

Morphine

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:53:29 pm »
i would say that it is up to the new comers to the art form to keep it living

Thats silly, most people have never heard of the rich history of the Diabolo, let alone be able to teach following generations.

but i think that there are alot of people not willing to let it die and it will not die as long as there is people like us you want to keep it alive.

The problem is human beings die and often their unique skills die with them.

Mr babache and Henrys are two companys who have their fingers on the pulse of diaboling, they will be the two companie who will keep the art form alive.

They are manufacturers not independent retailers.

it is up to the indivial traders to set the price, and its up to compition for these tradors to undercut prices to servive. this is a good thing most of the time as the customer gets the better deal most of the time. the world of diavolo is a far way away from what you talk of and i cant see it happening.

Retailers may 'set' the price, but manufactures and wholesalers suggest roughly what that price should be. Retailers really don`t want to play the cut-throught undercutting game your suggesting, they have more respect for each other than to try and starve each other out. I am talking about the Circus and Diabolo community and I know you `can`t see it happening`.

you may be looking to much into it. the shop is pritty good and for diaboloest who are buying all these things it is better to get the cheapest. im only letting people know incase they want to get a good deal.

You`ve totally missed the point, cheapest isn`t always best for the informed and intelligent comsumer.

seán_

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 01:14:17 am »
Quote from: Phil189
...by the way is it worth getting some of that yellow henrys string, does it make much difference.

Why dont you pop along to your nearest ebay reseller and find out?

There arent really any huge megalomaniac shops out there. (cept maybe PassePasse ;) )
In the grand scheme of things physical shops play an important part in the juggling scene, offering jugglers work, running traders stalls at conventions, providing raffle prizes to help with the costs of conventions, giving substantial amounts of equipment to young up and coming jugglers such as prizes offered tho BYJOTY. Big discounts to support juggling clubs. They are important bridges between Jugglers and manufacturers etc.

Having physical shops is important to local (and I'd say national) scenes. Having a place where you can pop in and meet other jugglers, get your grubby hands on new props before you buy. Learming new tricks, networking with other jugglers. If it wasnt for the now closed and now sorely missed Mushypea in Manchester I wouldnt be a juggler and I would be making my living as something I hated rather than as a juggler. If it wasnt for Antigravity in Leeds I wouldnt have found out about the juggling scene in Leeds and i wouldnt have had the pleasure of teaching ZTT and Marc cabry how to do basic 1d. Even when not living near a shop I realise how the local scenes they support have helped the scene as a whole.

If I teach some kid how to diabolo, how to juggle 3 ball, devilstick or whatever. Its nice to be able to point them in the way of a local shop rather than telling them to get on the web, Theres more chance theyll bother to get hold of some equipment, hopefully returning often to find the lessons, the other jugglers etc I found.

So look around for deals fair enough but consider that your purchase often can mean more than just a bit of money in someones pocket.

http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/

BTW non of the physical shops have spammed the forum, asked people to spam here (AFAIK) or pushed the non comercial feel of the forum. which is why half the forum isnt took up with begging for buisines.

Phil189

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 08:55:10 am »
You are missing the facts guys. i was pointing people in the direction on a shop i bought something off which i thought was cheaper and thought that i would let you guys know as a good turn to you guys.

we has his own website and doesnt trade of ebay much because of the price of ebay fees. i looked about loads of shops on the web and was looking for the best, it doesnt always relay on the price i understand that but then again it is a concideration.

i live in northern ireland, i have tryed to find a circus or juggling shop in northern ireland where i could go to to have a look at the stuff. I would like to stress the fact that i understand and support the fact that it is better to go to a circus shop and support a physical shop because of all they stand for and they do keep the art form alive but for someone like myself who lives in northern ireland, What am i saposed to do but look at websites online?

Morphine

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 11:38:11 am »
http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/index.php?country=103

there are two shops listed there.

Other then that, most circus people save up their pennies and make a pilgrimage to shows where they know equipment is being sold or to a convention, by an expert circus performer/teacher who can help them make the right choices.

I`m not saying don`t buy from the Internet, we all know how handy it can be.

Wasn`t there a massive international competition held in Ireland recently ?

missing the 'facts' ?

FACTS.

Selling brand new juggling equipment at massivley reduced prices compared to that which the manufacturer/importer/wholesaler has suggested, damages the whole juggling community right from the manufacturers of the fine equipment we use right through to the 8 year old learning to throw three balls in the air and catch them all again.

Cut-throught competition doesn`t drive down the price of manufacturing equipment, it takes money away from people who phisically support the juggling community until they can`t support themselves too and have to find more gainful employment.

People who 'sell-down' usually have very little connection with the other individuals within the industries they are working in. The UK is quite small, equipment retailers know each other, practice and perform together. They just wouldn`t dream of having price wars over products they all have to buy at exactly the same prices, because they understand the long term implications it has for everyone.

If it wasnt for the now closed and now sorely missed Mushypea in Manchester I wouldnt be a juggler and I would be making my living as something I hated rather than as a juggler.

I also have to thank the individuals involved with Mushypea for enriching my life in a similar way, using google with 'mushypea' related keywords finds many similar stories. Without the inspiration and guidence from them (bit of a collective) at the larmertree festival I certainly would have not started contact juggling when I did.

Phil189

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 12:53:14 pm »
hey again, i live in northern ireland 4 hours away from dublin, and around 7 from cork car car. flights to dublin or cork would not be worth it for a shop. i have only recently started diabolo and i havent started juggling yet so i would not be going to buy juggling equipement yet.

i am a full time student and i havent alot of spare cash, this is a reason why i (and lot of others im sure) would be looking for the cheapest price. this is the main reason why i cant save money to go to these juggling conventions.

this conversation is getting boring now. you are trying to fight for your morals, yeah thats a good thing but i dont realy want to get into it all. i like diabolo, and i like to get my self a good deal whatever i buy this is the reason why i told everyone else about this shop so they could get a deal, not so that you could start an arguement with me about ebay, online shops, and the other stuff.

if anyone wants to buy from the shop it has my reconmendations. thanks for your views Morphine but i cant be bothered argueing with you anymore i see it pointless and needless. if anyone want to check out the shop or buys from it let me know i would be curious to know what you thought of it.

Morphine

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 02:32:40 pm »
Do the spammed plugs ever stop  :shock:

We know you want us to shop there and tell you about it  :?

It`s not a 'boring' conversation and I hope it wasn`t pointless for the others that read it.

Greg

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 04:54:03 pm »
I dont think the argument was pointless but im not sure either person is willing to accept the other persons point as i think you are both completely right (and yeah i think thats possible lol)

What i'd like to put across is Morphine is spot on, a price war would benifit nobody, yeah it would be nice to buy cheaper stuff but when people cant afford to sell it to you, its a bit redundant. But that said, right now i dont have much money, and so i love a good deal. Ive actually orderd from that website a few months ago and found it great, and was really happy with what i payed.

Dont get me wrong if i was fortunate enough to go to EJC dublin i would have had no qualms what so ever handing over a few extra pounds to those retailers who take the time to help me out and show me their products.

A small example is at download festival UK this year firetoys had a store, i live in Liverpool and we dont have any retailers where i can try diabolo's so i was really really happy the firetoys guys shown me their stuff and i bought the equiptment that felt best for me, and they even gave my g.f a quick lesson with one of the LED staffs which made her more than happy to spend the money on buying one.

I think what im trying to say is Morphine is right we should definately try to support jugglers who have a shop floor and help people out, but when thats no possible (such as living in a city that doesnt have a shop, and not having enough cash to hit the conventions) its really nice to find a good deal to save you a few pennies.

I think you're both right and we should get along heheheh  :D

Morphine i would like to ask, would you disagree with buying from that store as its the cheapest if you are in the situation i just described?

Cheers for your time mate :)

Morphine

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 06:07:23 pm »
I am more than willing to accept many people live by a 'get as much as they can for as little as possible' moto, I`m just very glad not every one feels this way.

I also have no problem at all with people shopping where ever they so they choose, especially if they live on a desert island with no public transport system at all and only an Internet connection, computer, national electricty grid and reliable postal service to make do with  :wink:

We all try especially hard to get along with other jugglers/diaboloists, it does not mean we have to agree with them all the time.

I don`t believe cheaper is always better and the money we spend DOES have an effect. I chipped in when the prices of two companies where being compared, I didn`t think it was a fair comparison for the reasons we`ve discused.