Author Topic: ..Just a trick  (Read 6058 times)

orka

..Just a trick
« on: December 15, 2004, 02:24:39 pm »
Hi!
I don't really know if this trick has ever been done or what it's name (and I don't know how to call it :-)), but yesterday I thought about it....so if you know it, say it!
The trick is executed by Itsik Orr.

Here's the link - http://www.juggleroth.com/Videos/itzikdiabolo.wmv

nezzybaby

..Just a trick
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 02:28:58 pm »
ill give it a try..

magic knot with pirouette with a release to a floor bounce with a genocide to finish.. and another pirouette

never done that combo before myself

it looks very nice :)

seán_

..Just a trick
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 03:28:52 pm »
great trick
(I dont see a bounce btw but my eyes are bad), the genocide bit is a kind of one stick underhand whip type affair, I dont  know what the proper name for it is

itsik orr

..Just a trick
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 06:18:23 pm »
nezzybaby wrote:
> magic knot with pirouette with a release
> to a floor bounce with a genocide to finish...
> and another pirouette

Well, I don't quite know if you saw the same video I'm in, but the trick I'm doing is quite similar to what you described except for the minor differences that there is no pirouette at the beginning, no floor bounce, no genocide and no pirouette at the end  :wink:
There is a half pirouette at the start with the "magic knot", then I throw one handstick under the diabolo so that the diabolo lands on the wire as I pull back on the other handstick. As I pull back on it I turn around and catch it and there is one cross in the wire so that I have to cross my hands, throw and uncross to untangle.
That's it.
I am not a diaboloist at all by the way, so it's erally funny for me to see this video here and these messages... I had to register to this forum in honor of this occasion!  :lol:

MattF

..Just a trick
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 11:01:28 pm »
really nice 1d trick, i don't believe i have seen that one before. What is your success rate on that trick?

nezzybaby

..Just a trick
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 11:54:02 pm »
are you a juggler itzik, the name looks familiar from a juggling simulator, think i may have learnt a lot of ball tricks from you :) cheers

itsik orr

success rate?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 11:59:17 pm »
Quote from: MattF
really nice 1d trick, i don't believe i have seen that one before. What is your success rate on that trick?

It was really weird, because after my friend Ori thought it up (and didn't manage to pull it off at all) I thought "what's the problem?" and did it like 4 or 5 times in a row. We both got excited with this apparently original and apparently easy new trick, so he whipped out his video camera and voila! Immediately I spent close to 10 minutes and several dozen attempts miserably failing to reproduce the feat! I told him the camera is apparently freaking me out, so he turned it off and promptly I succeeded a couple of times, and then failed on tape for another couple of minutes. At the end Ori got so annoyed with me that he said he's going to give me just one last chance to get it. That is the attempt you can see on the attached clip! As you can tell I was rather pleased that I got it when we were both certain I won't...
Anyway I think it's a performable trick, I've done it several times since and it's getting more reliable. Teh key is to get the timing just right: you have to have the thrown handstick hit the floor after it circles the diabolo once. If you throw it too early then it misses the floor and starts wrapping around the axle yo-yo style and all the diabolo stops spinning as you pull on it. If you throw it too late then the diabolo hits the floor and you lose it. You have a fairly narrow timing window but I think with practice you can get it every time.

itsik orr

..Just a trick
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 12:06:27 am »
Quote from: nezzybaby
are you a juggler itzik, the name looks familiar from a juggling simulator, think i may have learnt a lot of ball tricks from you :) cheers

Yup, I'm a juggler and also the organizer of the Israeli juggling convention (http://www.ijc.co.il). I've been creating and performing with balls and clubs for years and the diabolo is just something I got interested in over the last few weeks. That's why I wrote it's a bit ridiculous that suddenly I find myself in a serious diaboloists forum! The situation in Israel at the moment is such that if you are over 1 meter tall you have to be able to do at least 10 tricks with 2 diabolos otherwise you don't even count as average (o.k., so maybe I'm exaggurating but only slightly). I'm not sure I even qualify as a bad diaboloist over here  :wink:
Anyway I'm glad you learned soem tricks from my site.

MattF

..Just a trick
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 07:34:41 am »
nice one. Could you possibly take it into an infinate suicide after you whip catch it?