Author Topic: What makes a good Diabolo/Juggling Website?  (Read 5315 times)

William

• VotW Contributor
What makes a good Diabolo/Juggling Website?
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:41 am »
Hey everyone, I need to know what makes a good Diabolo+Juggling Website? I've searched and found  only one fairly short topic on what to put in a website.

I don't really want to know what to put IN the website. I've already got most of that stuff covered. Just put in your suggestion on what you think makes a nice looking website and a few ideas on a good layout. You can put in your ideas on what to put in it if you really have to.  :wink:

Thanks everyone! \:D/
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

stroevey

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:15:47 am »
1 main thing is obviously colour layout. I was chatin to jake and he thinks red and black would be good. The point is that you should pic a scheme that goes together not just bung any old colours on.
I'm sure you already know that though!
Diabolo, is art.
Art is beautiful
Beautiful is diabolo

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:14:10 am »
red and black is horrible. the Galchenko website is black and red (some cases white and red) and man, it hurts your eyes.

jacky

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:16:08 am »
try to keep updating the website so that the website won't be so boring..

William

• VotW Contributor
B+W
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:02:10 am »
I think black and white would be good visually. I mean like black backgrounds and white font etc. Short post.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:18:31 pm »
I think that a good website needs to meet with these aspects:

- a stylish design with good colours, which are easy on the eyes
 - a readable font face, size and color
 - pictures which are not too big or too small
 - a valuable content
 - regular updates
 - a lay-out change every now and then (once a year for example)
 - it needs to be unique in some way
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:47:45 pm »
1. interesting content with a purpose
2. usable design (which isn't a diabolo issue - there are lots of valuable resources on the web. A List Apart is one of my favourites.)

William

• VotW Contributor
Thanks guys! :D
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:58:25 am »
Thanks to Sean and Martijn! I'll take that advice into context (spl?[right word?{Enlish is my native language and I still don't know it well enough!  :x }])

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: What makes a good Diabolo/Juggling Website?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 09:32:14 pm »
This hasn't been posted in, in a year, but I was thinking if you haven't done anything about the site, or if you have... You could make it about (or add a section) reviews on the all the diabolos on the market. You buy 2 or 3 of everyone (and it's accessories) and you (and/or other people) use them and their accessories and write a detailed review for them. Then on websites that sell them you can have your review linked or something.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 11:20:37 pm »
The IJDB Shop has a review function for all the props that are sold in the participating stores so people can give their own opinions of what they think about various props.  Unfortunately there are only 4-5 stores that have signed up to the scheme so not all brands of diabolos are available other than the major ones. 

There are lots of reviews of all the major diabolos on this forum, so I can see a benefit of perhaps collating all that information together.  Anyone?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 03:04:13 am »
Yeah, and maybe a standard scoring system could be introduced? So that bias is lessened and the reviews are more uniform...
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 06:35:39 am »
Maybe some links to tricksites, other forums, photos, video etc what people seem to want.
yeh, where's your site Will?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 07:54:13 pm »
Hmm. I never noticed this thread before and although this might be of no benefit to Will I guess it might be useful for someone else.

For a website with a theme (in this case diabolos/juggling) the content and point of the website are the only real things that need to be considered when planning the site out.

The technicality's of the website are another matter altogether.

Obviously the layout is important and being original isn't always the best idea because, put simply: the tryed and tested methods work. A navbar at the top or at one side of the page with your content in the middle is usually the best when starting out.

The colour scheme is also something to consider. Everyone has different tastes but a fairly bland light blue or grey scheme is good for people new to building a website.

The last thing I thought I'd mention is that it really isn't that hard/expensive to create a good looking, user-friendly website -so don't be put off! You can make a nice looking website with just html and css which you can learn quickly and some services will host these kind of things for free. Barnesy's site is a good example of what can be done with a simple design, simple colours and a valuable purpose!

Behind your back is your front.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:00:07 am »
I was reading through this to find my name mentioned- I was confused until I found that I made this thread  ::)

Yeah Cheers Leo although I have that sorted out. This thread was made ages ago and I have everything sorted out for making a website. I'm just not motivated enough. I don't really need to worry with HTML and CSS too much anyway because I make most of my layouts and whatever with photoshop then export the files and HTML or XHTML. So if you're good with Photoshop but terrible with HTML I suggest doing that..

batonstar

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »
Being new to learning diabolo I would say the main things a good website for diabolo-ing are:

Fun / interesting colours

Easy on the eye - not too much info crammed into any area

Named tricks with step by step instructions and videos showing how to do each trick or move including tips for each to help perform the trick quicker & pointers of what could go wrong in practising the trick and what you need to do to try and avoid what could go wrong

Hope you can understand all I've described & would appreciate it if you could let me know on here when you have the website set up and running

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 08:27:56 am »
I won't be making a informative website. I'll be making one about like a group of people.. If I start one.