Author Topic: Babache Finesse bearing kit is here (sorta)  (Read 13987 times)

kyo

Babache Finesse bearing kit is here (sorta)
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:16 am »
Ok, so I have been waiting for babache to release a bearing kit for the finesse for some time, but it seems like that day never comes.

So I was quite try out a new kit from spintastics, makers of the spinabolo. It simply converts the finesse into a bearing setup by using essentially spinabolo guts.

Let me preface this by saying that I generally do not enjoy bearing diabolos. Thehe spinabolo and yoho just never felt right to me. This, however, feels right.

It's solid, it's smooth, and it's about the same weight as normal. It is light, fast, silky smooth, doesn't wobble, doesn't fall apart, and overall it's rather fun to play with.

The kit consists of a long axle, a clutch bearing, 4 spacers, and 2 lock nuts. The installation is pretty straight forward, but here are pics of how it goes together anyway.

http://www.pd.net/kyo/bfinesse1.jpg
http://www.pd.net/kyo/bfinesse2.jpg
http://www.pd.net/kyo/bfinesse3.jpg
http://www.pd.net/kyo/bfinesse4.jpg

I must say, it is a little finicky to begin with, getting it tightened up just enough to work well. However, I cheated and added an extra set of washers inside to widen out the gap slightly and keep the shells from touching the bearing.. made a world of difference. I'm going to suggest to them that future kits come like this.. but if nothing else, a quick hardware store trip would solve the problem.

I'm not  a spectacular player by any means, but I'm quite happy with this conversion kit. If I were to use any bearing diabolo, this would definately be the one.

I think the kits sell for like $17? Which I suppose is comparable to what I pay for my babache evolution kits from england after the conversion rate. Personally I think it's quite worth the money..

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested to know that these are out there now.

Kyle (kyo)

trash

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:53:11 am »
Congratulations, I already built this kit too (exactly the same!) and I agree, this is the best bearing diabolo: not too noisy, the axe is larger so you can do finger grind (with bearing!) and it lasts more than a spinabolo because of the 4 spacers.
I did'nt share this on the internet before (just some of you knew it), because of my relationship with Mister Babache, but now you did it...so... And I don't think Babache will build this kit now, too.
Spintastics sells parts of his materials, so you can buy just what you need and that's right, it's cheap.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:08:22 pm »
Hallelujah. Thanks for sharing!

So where is this kit being sold right now? I've googled hard for it and searched lots of vendor's sites but I can't find them.

kyo

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 01:19:03 pm »
Yea I had made some attempts at doing this before as well, but the lack of a long axle made it difficult to do well, now it's great.

I know yoyoguy.com has them, but they probably don't have them up yet.. later today maybe.

I'm sure others will be getting them as well, since spintastics is actually selling them as kits now.

Kyle (kyo)

trash

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:39:33 pm »
http://www.spintastics.com/parts.asp

All you need is here. Don't forget to take the long axe (for light kits).

fredo

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 04:29:00 pm »
Quote from: trash
http://www.spintastics.com/parts.asp

All you need is here. Don't forget to take the long axe (for light kits).

which long axle?  8-[

and kyo, did you finally use 4 or 6 washers? i suppose 6...but not sure if i understood correctly  :P

trash

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:24:18 pm »
I don't find the long axle on the website (but I don't speak english good enough to understand the whole page).
It's better to send them an email:
they made 2 types of axles for the spinabolo, one standard and another one longer (so we can put their light kit inside. The same light kit which is used for their yoyos).

You have to see that they are 2 types of washers: washers with rectangular holes (4) and standard washers (2), whiches you can find everywhere. The luck: the washers have got the perfect diameter for the Finesse.
It's very simple to build this diabolo if you've got the long axle, otherwise is impossible.

kyo

Re: Babache Finesse bearing kit is here (sorta)
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 01:25:35 am »
I used 6 washers. This actually leaves a tiny gap on either side of the bearing, but it makes absolutely no difference from what I can tell.

They do not seem to sell the long axle seperately anymore. However, the kits should appear online within the next day I imagine.

Kyle (kyo)

Edit: looks like yoyoguy has them up now, whichs means they actually shipped out on time to stores.. I imagine others will have them shortly too.

trash

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:53:08 am »
They do not seem to sell the long axle seperately anymore. However, the kits should appear online within the next day I imagine.

I'm not sure of this, because I built my bearing Finesse almost 2 years ago already. A friend of mine (yoyoist) sell me the long axle. Send them an email, don't wait that the kit appears online.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 04:32:22 pm »
This maybe a reason to switch back to Finesse's intsead of the Bandai's I'm using at the minute.(I only have 2 Finesse G1's at the minute.) Do any of the people who have used them Trash, Kyo or anyone prefer them to regular Finesse's?

Cheers,

Leo
Behind your back is your front.

kyo

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:23:09 pm »
I enjoy them, but I don't know that I'd prefer them.

The reason for this is only because they are a bearing diabolo vs. a fixed. If I were to use a bearing diabolo, this would definately be the one I'd use.. but I just like the feel of a fixed.

If I took the time to get use to the feel of the bearing, I might like it more for 1d tricks.. but I don't think I will ever adjust to using them for 2d.. the lack of resistance is just strange to me.. but I do know plenty of players who use bearing diabolos for 2d.

Kyle

kyo

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 06:23:27 pm »
Update:

I spoke to dale over at Spintastics and was informed that these are in short supply. He said that yoyoguy is the only place that got any, and they don't have very many. There will not be more of these until November, and even then only like 50 sets.. all of which have already been sold to the same store.

This is unfortunate.. I hope they'll have more after that.. so I guess get them while you can.

Kyle

stupendous

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 01:37:45 am »
Excellent!  This is such a great idea.  I love the Spinabolo, but the Finesse with a bearing sounds very cool!!
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 01:44:26 am »
I got mine in the mail today. Spent an hour fiddling with them trying to get the axle bolt centered and the hubs to stop rubbing. Came to the forum to write a note of exasperation and re-read Kyle's original post about adding more washers. That did the trick. At first it seemed like there was more friction than I remember with other bearing setups, but after a bit of use if loosened up (either the bearings themselves of the cups loosened).

It's quite strange to hear that typical ratchet bearing noise from a finesse diabolo. I can't get over the fact that I've dreamt about this for years and it's finally here... will be even more special when I get my hands on some modified circus hubs. Hint... hint... ;)

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 03:21:01 am »
Sean, you know that means.....you gotta make a new video now ;)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 10:18:10 pm »
Just yesterday I decided to play with the washer setup a bit and realized that the axle had been rubbing on the hubs a bit this whole time. It's a world of a difference now and feels as good as any bearing diabolo setup I've ever tried.

Now I notice that the 2 diabolos never stay aligned. The cups are balanced (they don't turn with normal axles), so I'm assuming this is because the axle can shift side to side a bit (the raised part of the bolt is a bit wider than the axle). I'm thinking that one of the diabolos happens to fall one way and the other falls the other way. Maybe this is just making them unbalanced or maybe this is caused one side of the axle to rub a bit on a nut or the hub. This is very noticeable with a 2 diabolo shuffle. Less noticeable when the diabolos are being pressed hard agains the string as in fan.

I tried rearranging the washers, bolts, hubs, and cups every way I could think of for a couple hours last night with no luck.

I did notice, however, that I have two different cup sizes and two different hub sizes (my orange and white aren't the same size and can't use each other's hubs). I have one set of hubs that fit the bearing axle and work with the intended configuration. For all others I have to add an extra set of washers.

Anyone else with these axles come up with a solution? The diabolos turn and tilt away from each other very quickly.

JoKo

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 08:09:09 am »
Anyone know if the new stock of these is in circulation? 
Have been looking for a while and on the yoyoguy site but with no luck?

I tried the spinabolo but didnt really like the feel of much, but this i want to try.

Change combine ..... Go Go Baron Gong

kyo

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 03:58:38 am »
I'm working to get an update on these kits.. as well as the henry's kits I was working on.

I hope to have more information for you guys soon.

Kyle

fredo

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 09:33:34 pm »
Sry for the huge bump, but has anybody tested THIS ONE yet?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 10:40:23 pm »
No but that looks pretty intersting. I might order some when the G3's come out.
Behind your back is your front.