Author Topic: Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca  (Read 40729 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca
« on: November 10, 2004, 06:20:53 am »
You will find the video tutorial at: http://diabolo.ca/seanvideos/

Based on the initial response it looked like the video tutorial people wanted most was a fan tutorial. While I was at the gym today (after I stared at my nice orange circus diabolo for a while, which is stuck 15 feet off the ground in a net after a small 3 diabolo accident yesterday, and wished I could use it for some filming  :oops: ) I got some footage of the 3 basic entries into the fan.

Of course, I goofed around a little and included some freestyle footage that is based on the moves shown in the tutorial section.

This will hopefully be the first of many video tutorials on this forum. There is a sticky at the top of this forum for video tutorials. Feel free to request or vote for anything you'd like to see featured as a tutorial. Also, if you would like to film a video tutorial yourself, let me know... or just go ahead and film it. I'm sure we could all learn something! :D

The 3 entries featured are the: 1. Backwrap (which can also be done as a stop over) 2. The arm-stall (easy to get the motion of but hard to line up properly at first) and 3. The vortex (I found this the hardest to learn, but others find this the easiest... it's a trick to learn for its own sake anyway)

If you'd like a written explanation of any part of this video, just ask, and I'd be happy to oblige. I'll try and dig up some stuff I wrote about on the topic on rec.juggling soon.

Edit - here's the explanation I previously included in the tutorial sticky at the top of the forum:

--------------------------
Three methods of starting the fan are featured:
1. Backwrapping one diabolo (or using a stopover) with the left stick for right handed diaboloists.
2. Using an armstall. This method is easy to get the motion started with but difficult to line up at first.
3. Vortexing into the fan. This method is probably the easiest once you have learned the vortex, although the vortex may be challenging to learn in itself.

You will notice that I have started the action in each segment with the green diabolo. Which coloured diabolo comes around at the end to exit the fan depends on how it is started; however, it is always the diabolo closest to your non-dominant hand (left for us righties) that comes across to your dominant hand for the exit. It is this same diabolo which will be slowing down in the traditional fan.

The intro freestyle section features the s-fan. This fan has one diabolo on each side of the string so that both diabolos speed up. This will be featured in a future video tutuorial if there is demand. The 2nd freestyle section features a little bit of switching between fan directions, switching directions with mini-columns in the middle, and some vortex freestyle.
--------------------------

Cheers!
Sean

Arjan

Re: Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 08:09:50 am »
Really cool man!
I like those Fans into the other direction.
Well done!!

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 10:28:40 am »
Good stuff!  I'd not actually thought about trying it directly from a left hand backwrap.  I've had some success with using a right hand frontwrap, and letting it pass under the other diabolo to the same position as a left hand backwrap.  Same difference, I guess.  Your video has convinced me that I just need to work on the trick more!  Thanks for making it.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 01:51:33 pm »
Quote from: barnesy
I'd not actually thought about trying it directly from a left hand backwrap.

Actually, the entry that I first learned with was a stopover on the left stick. It lets you set it up, turn, prepare youself  8) , and then go for it. In the end it's the same thing as a backwrap... just a bit slower.

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
Great video! I'm also learning the fan at this moment. My problem is when I exit the Fan, both diabolo are wrapped :?  Still need to figure that out... Thanks again for the vid! :D  8)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:16:57 pm »
Great video,  really usefull. slo mo and different views especially welcome. I'll be giving some of those methods a go tonight so get ready for some questions.

Seán_

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 06:46:26 pm »
I first learnt the fan from JiBe's Fan Combo, wot mite help with figuring out why the two diabs are wrapped when u exit is going thru it with stopped diabs, just lay them on the floor and simulate the positions by movin them around with ur hands, this'll let u find out maybe why various things happen/go wrong with many tricks.  Seans vid wud've bin very helpful when I learnt it, luv the different angles and entries.  Great to see u holding that S-Fan over ur head for so long with Henry's as well, Top Man  8)

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 10:32:58 pm »
I figured the fan 360 out tonight at my juggeling club. But I need to work on it, because it not goes well most of the time.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 12:26:45 pm »
A little progress update:  I've kind of got the fan working now, but it's not at all smooth, and only goes round a few times before I have to get out of it.  It helped to realise that I need to keep my hand movements quite small.   I'll be attacing it again tonight!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 06:30:12 pm »
I have added this tutorial video to the tutorial "sticky" at the top. I also included a few brief notes on the video and on exiting technique.

Learning the fan and vortex opens up a whole other realm of diabolo tricks... definitely worth learning.  :D

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 06:52:28 am »
After watching the video I actually got my first fan to work and then even a second time!  I had no clue before.  Thank you Sean.

Julian

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 04:15:26 am »
So now that I can actually get into a fan successfully I'm having a problem with the diabolos slowing down quickly.  Is there anything I can do to avoid this?  I guess this fan does not accellerate the diabolos.  Also how do you get out of it?  Thanks,

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 07:23:49 am »
Yes the diabolos will slow down - especially when you are first learning. You will develop a touch for it that will minimize this. A large part of the slowing is likely because of imperfect alignment at this point. Even if you have the motion down perfectly, one diabolo will speed up (or maintain its speed - this would be the one closest to the right hand for righties) and the other will slow down.

In general: the smaller your hand motions with the fan, the less friction you will cause and the longer the diabolos will spin. This means longer fans, obviously.

The s-fan puts one diabolo on each side of the string so that both speed up, or both slow down (but who would want that?). However, even with a normal fan, it is possible to hold it for at least 5 or 6 seconds and maybe up to 10 seconds. I believe the s-fan has not gained mass popularity because of the lack of a simple, reliable exit... I have a video that's going up on the jongle.net trick of the week this week (I sent it in before this forum was created) which features a a simple s-fan exit. I've been saving this trick since the day after I released "A Man's Chew" ;). I'll post the link to that video when it is posted by Diabolumberto on jongle.net and perhaps I'll post a short tutorial on that exit here as well. I think the s-fan is the "fan of the future". For me it is as reliable as a normal fan now and it can go forever - what more could you ask?

In terms of the exit, watch carefully in the videos in terms of which diabolo comes around to my left hand for the exit. I always start with the green diabolo as the "action" diabolo but it is the left diabolo which must come around. If you bring the other one across the string will get tangled. If you use the backwrap (which I think you originally said that you did) then it will be that same diabolo that you must follow to exit with. [end

Best of luck - it's a great trick to master - it opens up so many doors!
Sean

Rusty

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 09:27:55 am »
To get into the S-Fan, what do you do to get both speeding up, not slowing down?

It looks as though your throwing one straight up turning your body to the left and wrapping the diabolo with your left hand going into something Fan looking. I can do this, but the left diabolo slows really fast down.

Rusty, Norway

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 03:35:40 pm »
Well, assuming you are right handed, if you get a diabolo on the back of the string near your left hand and you turn the fan in an anticlockwise direction you can speed up both diabolos. If, for example, you those 2 diabolos on the opposite sides of the string in that position, then both would slow down. Now, there are 4 different combinations possible, I believe. Theoretically, 2 of those should speed up the diabolos and 2 should slow them down.

However, that being said, getting the hand motion just right so that the diabolos actually speed up isn't easy, and don't expect any amazing speed here. We're talking about just enough friction to keep them spinning a bit - enough that you could go on forever with it - but not enough to say, jump into a double sprinkler.

The second video of the week found here:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=7

features an s-fan with a 180 turnaround exit. There are better exits which I'll describe later - and probably easier ways to get into the s-fan, such as from mini-columns.

Sean

Paul

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 02:48:34 am »
I still cant get into a normal fan never mind an sfan. Ive watched the video that sean put up (stunning by the way!) but i still dont understand how it works properly yet. Has anyone got an explanation for a confused person like me? I even got my girlfriend to hold them (diabolos of course) and move em around but i dont understand!!!! Help!
Peace

murifri

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 12:17:18 pm »
The fan entry video has really helped me get to grips with the trick.  I just tried all the entries until I found one that worked for me.  Now I'm getting into it I can get a feeling for the whole thing and hopefully have a little more control.

Now I'm using a slightly different entry though.  It's a front wrap that I let roll under the other diabolo and then flick out when it gets to my non-dominant hand.

The vortex is really giving me trouble I can't seem to get the non wrapped diabolo to change directions and always end up losing it off the srtring.  Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers for the great video.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 05:33:48 am »
Tonight I successfully got an S-fan going quite a few times.  The diabolos did eventually slow down.  I guess I just have to perfect my hand movements.  Thanks for the help Sean and everyone else.  Any tips on how to keep it going forever? :P   I need to learn how to get out of it as well I guess :roll: .

Julian

diabololi

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 01:57:16 pm »
I'm getting there with the fan, even though I can only do the backwrap entry. There is one other thing, near the end of the video you do some continuous vortexes (one diabolo continuously going around the other). Please can you  give me some tips on how to do them. I can only sometimes get a dodgy double vortex.

Thanks
Oli

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 01:03:01 am »
Im planning on doin a vortex tutorial once I can get some time both me and my cameraman have to get it filmed.  I spent a while at chocfest tryin to explain various vortexes(vortexi? :lol: ) to sum1 and figured a video would defo help as its a quick trick with many variations...anyway, i'm planning to go through the basic vortexes, a few advanced vortex combos and help explain the motion to get the non-wrapped diab to move as this certainly took me a while to get right.  Hopefully maybe get it done next weekend?