Author Topic: Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca  (Read 44756 times)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2005, 06:10:56 pm »
Cheers norbi, I thought it was that. Is there a particular way to get the string over it or is it just down to speed and practice
Behind your back is your front.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2005, 11:42:25 pm »
I've experienced this problem with a diabolo getting close to the right handstick and more often than not, bashing it.  I believe it's to do with the motion and rhythm of the hands which make the fan turn.  I'm guessing it's something that comes alot from feel when you let the diabolos spin out and keep themselves out.

I'm afraid I don't have any real tips on this, but I have had the problem, so you don't have to feel so special anymore.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2005, 12:23:19 am »
Norbi thats only correct for a regular fan (right handed), for an s-fan this problem can occur with either diabolo, I'm a lefty and i find it easiest to release the right hand diabolo during an s-fan but thinking about it I should be able to release either with the same method.

And as for the other problem mentioned, from my experience it could be getting too close to the stick for one of two reasons.  First that I've seen is that hand movements are far too exaggerated, so much so that they are doing pretty much the same size circle the diabs are doing and because of this there is a large chance of you hitting the diabs with the sticks.  Second reason, hand movements are not exaggerated enough on the part of the rotation for which you "pull" the diabolo up in front of you and so the diabolo does not gain enough clearance above the handsticks to make the re-wrapping clean.  This can result in a collision of diabolo and handstick (the method I use for fan correction) or missing the re-wrap in which case the diabolo flies off in front of you (in an s-fan, in a normal fan this could result in either the right hand diab flying off or a tangle of the left hand diab  :wink: )

Hope this helps rather than confuse  :)

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2005, 02:00:57 am »
Quote from: JGherkin
And as for the other problem mentioned...)

Thanks JG! And thanks for the vortex tutorial, too.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2005, 08:31:44 pm »
I'm dissapointed still struggling with the fan I can't get the diabolo on my weak (left hand) to exit. I was wondering if anyone had a specific technique for this or is it just practice and coordination. I can do vortexes but I'm still finding the left backwrap easier.

Cheers,

Edit doesn't matter i can do it now
Behind your back is your front.

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 11:42:34 pm »
Am I the only person who has struggled endlessly with this trick without actually learning it?
I have watched Sean's fan entry video 1,000 times.
I have tried to read the rambling fan-related threads.
And I have been working on the trick for about 4 months. I've learned other stuff, vortex, 2 high, etc... without anywhere enar this much headache.

At one point I could do 5 rotations, 7 is my record. Currently two or three is a minor miracle.

I no longer think that tweaking is going to help. I need an extreme fan makeover!

What am I missing? what exactly am i supposed to be doing? At what point in the rotation of the diabolo are my arms actually exerting pressure? Am I pulling, pushing, lifting or throwing?

Feel free to attach this to another existing thread, but please someone give me some good advice here before I give up and switch to cigar boxes.

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2005, 07:01:47 am »
humm if you can do vortex it shouldn't be to hard...

the way i got the feeling of how your sticks should move is i just held both sticks out in front of me and rotated them around eachother in a small circle and then tryed to make my hads do the same movement after i got it going..

dunno if that helps but its how i figured it out..

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2005, 08:50:59 am »
Quote from: Ben
humm if you can do vortex it shouldn't be to hard...
Well, you say that, but I can do vortices no problem, but the fan and s-fan really annoyed me.

The hand movement I've found to work for me is once you're facing to the side in the ready "fan position", try holding your sticks like you're trying to play a drum, that is, hold sticks like normal, thumbs on top with your sticks pointing in a V fashion towards each other.  Then trying drumming, well, more moving your sticks alternatively up and down like your drumming a slow beat.  The key is to get the feel for when to move your sticks, which you will get when you feel more resistance to your "drumming".  This is when diabolos are at their extremes (up or down) and you're pulling them around.

Tricky to describe, but I've found this to help me quite a bit to get a few rotations of an S-fan.

Chiok

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2005, 12:09:59 pm »
Quote from: tomangleberger
Am I the only person who has struggled endlessly with this trick without actually learning it?
I have watched Sean's fan entry video 1,000 times.
I have tried to read the rambling fan-related threads.
And I have been working on the trick for about 4 months. I've learned other stuff, vortex, 2 high, etc... without anywhere enar this much headache.

me too, I hate this trick

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2005, 08:27:49 pm »
well yeah vortex doesn't really do anything for s fan but i was assuming he was talking about a regular fan

the only thing i found tricky about the s fan once i got the regular fan was the entry

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2005, 03:12:04 pm »
Well I meant fan too.  I understand how the vortex and the fan are very similar motions, your hands just keep going around for the fan, but unfortunately it was never that simple for me.  It's definitely one of those "click" tricks that you'll just get the feel for.

Chiok

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2005, 11:57:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips, folks!
I wish i could say they had helped me get a handle on the fan. Maybe they'll sink in gradually.

I think I may have to wait until I can meet up with one of you folks in person and get a hands-on tutorial.

I'd estimate that I have put in about 25 times as much practice to try to learn the fan as the amount of time it took to learn the vortex.
The worst thing is that after all that struggle I have nothing to show for it!

Oh well, maybe this will make me polish up my 1d skills.

-Tom

Jeppe

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2006, 03:34:22 pm »
i have problem with this .i start doing it but after 1-3 rounds they both tilt and drop off the string with no speed what helps with this?

Drumbody

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 11:17:19 pm »
If the diabolo 2 my left gets caught alot and get's stuck at the top am i doing to big movements or is it my string. because to be honest i do have pretty old string. =P
All we need is The Funk.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2007, 03:19:40 am »
Hmm.. Drumbody, make sure your fan is nice and slow. It lasts longer that way. Also make sure your hands aren't too far apart, or both diabolos will tilt away from eachother. If you have old string buy some more ;) Go to your local home hardware/D.I.Y store and buy some. I found some excellent quality Nylon stuff there, called "Builders Line" Which comes in 50m or 100m, there are a fair few colours too. Hope this helps you :)

Will
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Drumbody

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 12:37:16 am »
I've got the entrance and exits of fans pretty much sussed. But  the left one completely runs out of spin by the time it's been going for baout 5 seconds.

What am i aiming to do with my hands to get them to last longer?
All we need is The Funk.

Dan

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 01:08:20 am »
Ive been experimenting with fans alot lately and for some reason my complete fan is tilting to the left so it ends up looking like:

\  \
           \  \
             \  \
               \  \
                 \  \

Both diabolos are still aligned to each other but just equally slanted.  I've almost got into excalibur like this by accident - i was pissed off and just pulled them round really fast and it tilted quite fast till it was flat and it fell apart.

shizzlerr

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2007, 12:24:49 am »
ive watched seans video for probably the billionth time now, but still cant get it. r both diabolos wrapped? and it looks like rythm is really heavy for this trick?
 :-\

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2007, 03:37:48 am »
Well I'm glad to see that his ancient video is still of some use! :)

One diabolo has a half twist on it, the other is open. Try working it through on the floor yourself or ideally have someone move the diabolos into the pattern for you. I'd also recommend trying it with the armstall or backwrap start at first unless you already have a solid vortex. With the armstall or backwrap start all you have to do is throw a diabolo in the right direction (the opposite direction they normally travel in) and then move your hands in rough circles to the right rhythm. The diabolos don't have to be spinning to get the idea of that rhythm.

Hope that helps!

shizzlerr

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2007, 01:02:00 am »
grrrrrr i still cant get it, im doing the backwrap and all and when i start the rotations the yoyos like go beserk, i havent even gotten like 1 whole rotation yet, i have no clue wat i doing wrng. ive tryed putting the yoyos on the floor and tryed to rotate them but its kinda hard with rubber diabolos, and nobody really unerstands or wants to help me hold the yoyos... ive been at it for like a month now and ive gotten no where  :(
help plz  :'(