Author Topic: Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca  (Read 40303 times)

Dan

Re: Fan tutorial on Diabolo.ca
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2007, 03:11:20 am »
Ok I can't remember and can't be bothered to read through the whole of this ancient thread.  But i can only assume you are talking about a normal fan.  The way i first learnt it was to get some decent speed up on both diabolos and go into a left sprinkler (bearing in mind i am a righty).  Then slip one of the diabolos out leaving one in open string and the other in a left back wrap.  Now i would turn to my right and move behind both diabolos just before the wrapped diabolo climbs over the top of the left stick.  Once it reaches the top i give it a little push away from me whilst bringing the other diabolo up towards my face.  Once they are moving you can get a feel for what you need to do with your hands and try to keep them going round (also keep in mind one will always lose speed - unless you're as crafty as nev with his way to keep speed on them both). 

If however you were talking about an s-fan.  The simplest of ways is from a right armstall and the diabolo in normal open string is then popped to the left and taken into backside with the other diabolo following in the same motion as a normal fan.  Just remember an s-fan requires a little less hand movement than a normal fan because it can pretty much carry itself around.

cardsharp

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2007, 06:59:04 am »
-bump-
I know this has probably been rehashed beyond belief, but can someone help me out with timing the entry? I first learned fan and had it solid around january, february. Then, in trying to teach my friend, my timing fell apart. Now, if i can actually get INTO the fan, it'll last for a good while, but I can't actually GET the entry timing anymore :(. Counting tricks, positioning, etc. would be appreciated. I use the armstall or just a left stopover.

Ilias

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2007, 08:28:30 am »
Try vortex ;)

Peter Skoett

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2007, 10:39:27 am »
Nice Tutorial. It really helped me a lot.
Im still working hard on S-fans, and having a lot of trouble with them.
By the way: Im new on Diabolo.ca, just so u know  ;)

john_s

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 01:36:57 pm »
sorry for the bump, chaps... just having a wee bit of trouble exiting a normal fan. i enter using sean's vortex method, which works great for me, but when i exit, the left diabolo always has a backwrap. because i start the fan with the right, i assumed i exited with the right also, but that's when i get the wrap. i tried exiting with the left one, but that seems to make things more messy.

i know if i'm getting a wrap then i'm not doing a final full circle with my left diabolo as i exit, i had a similar problem with suns. but i can't seem to figure out why i can't do it. pfffffft.

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 07:47:20 pm »
i think it may be with the vortex entry, if you dont unwrap the right hand diabolo properly it messes up the entry and you end up doing a fan with a wrap on it. Arm stall/left diab left backwrap entries are easy and dont have this problem, try them.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

monkiatzu

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:47 am »
firstly, this is a great video, thanks.
secondly, what are the hand movements in the fan like, please explain.
and finally, what is the difference between a normal fan and a S fan and a C fan.
can someone please tell me, im so confused
thanks

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2008, 08:21:26 am »
There's lots of old answers to those questions linked from here: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2359.0  They may not be replies to your post, but are still well worth digging through as the answers are in there!

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2008, 08:39:22 am »
Hahaah. Check out your post count Barnesy.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

monkiatzu

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2008, 05:46:34 am »
THANKS SO MUCH!
that answered most of my questions
but is still dont get this, or maybe i do? please tell me if im right:

sean cleared up the rest with an ancient forum i found lol

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2008, 06:53:53 pm »
Is it a common problem that fans are too fast when learning them? My hand movement is o.k. (I think) but my fans are going about 2-3 times faster than they should go. I've been trying to slow them down as much as I can but I can't seem to get a slower ''fan-pattern''. When I try to use a slower handmovement the diabolo's fall out of the fan.

Should I just continue trying to get 'em slower, or are there certains things I should pay extra attention to in order to get normal fans?
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

TomMiller

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2008, 08:33:06 pm »
This is what hepled me, when doing fan get it slighty  slower and work on that speed, then get slightly slower and work on than speed after you are comfortable on the speed you are on
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2008, 12:30:19 pm »
Is it a common problem that fans are too fast when learning them? My hand movement is o.k. (I think) but my fans are going about 2-3 times faster than they should go. I've been trying to slow them down as much as I can but I can't seem to get a slower ''fan-pattern''. When I try to use a slower handmovement the diabolo's fall out of the fan.

Should I just continue trying to get 'em slower, or are there certains things I should pay extra attention to in order to get normal fans?
Here is a little video with some ''fans'', I hope it clarifies my problem a bit.
[youtube=425,350]sSsEUjqq61Q

nev

• Donator
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2008, 04:25:12 pm »
Try and move your hands less (smaller movements) - with fans less is definitely more
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

seán_

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2008, 04:32:04 pm »
as Nev says (and he definitely knows)

my other thoughts
Some of them looked a bit 'lazy' to me, that is you hadn't turned fully to face the fan. You can fan in that position (and some people prefer it) but might be harder to keep the alignment when facing you can hold them higher, some people find that helps. Other than that just keep at it, find for yourself what hand motions kill speed/knock out of line. But you are well on the way. You might want to try not going for broke but going for a few rotations and exit, then add rotations.

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
What you are doing marijn, is a lazy fan. Try minimalising the hand movement on the hand closest to the body, but slow the other hand too, be patient.
Try it in front of you, works wonders in many cases.

GT
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2008, 09:29:31 am »
Thanks a lot for the tips! I will keep them in mind and continue working on my fans.

Dennis

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44:32 pm »
hi guys! ;)

I'm having some trouble with the s-fan.
I can keep it going for about 2-3 seconds and then everything crashes and collapses........

What do I do wrong?
hi! :P

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 04:19:36 pm »
hi guys! ;)

I'm having some trouble with the s-fan.
I can keep it going for about 2-3 seconds and then everything crashes and collapses........

What do I do wrong?
I no that when i started S-fan i was trying it way way way too fast, try to keep it really slow.

gaze

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2008, 10:35:26 pm »
When I start an ac-fan from a vortex entry, I always have to pull the string over the left stick to get the bottom diabolo over the top, otherwise it turns into this ugly sun type thing. Is this the normal technique? I haven't been able to see if this is how it's done in any of the videos. This may be tied into the fact that I can't seem to do multiple vortexes... any tips for that?

Also, any tips for getting a c-fan started from a sun style entry? I can't seem to keep it from just falling into a sun