Diabolo.ca Forums > Diabolo.ca Policy & Feedback

Diabolo.ca Posting Etiquette

(1/1)

Sean:
Hello all, just a few reminders of posting etiquette at the Diabolo.ca forum. Please remember that we are trying to build a useful diabolo resource... this isn't your typical message board.

And without further ado,

Before you post
Before starting a new topic, please do some research first. Use the Search function and read through the stickies before posting a new topic.

If you find a thread related to your question or comment, please post in that thread. We try and keep similar topics under the same thread to make the forum a more searchable and usable reference in the future.

Finally, if your topic is indeed new (or is a new slant on an already large topic), please create a new thread.

Posting Etiquette
Do your best to choose an appropriate category for your post.

While you're at it, please select a descriptive subject line for your topic. For example: "Infinite Suicides" = useful. "Help me with this" = not useful.

Please do not drag up an ancient thread just to say "nice video" or "me too!".

Please refrain from overdosing on :):) s.

Black text works surprisingly well. Please use coloured text sparingly and appropriately.

Pls rite prperly snce not evr1 speeks n-glsh as there n8tive lnguage.

Please refrain from using any terminology that might not be safe for work.

Keep it kind. Keep it polite. Mind your P's and Q's. We're a friendly bunch.

Be especially polite to new (and impressionable) members. If a post is made about which there is already another topic, please politely suggest that other topic (or list of topics) and briefly answer the question. If a member posts in the "I'm New" section, a response that simple states "Use the search" or "look around" is not appropriate. Please be welcoming and do your best to summarize the best answer to that question - you may in addition offer some links to useful threads on the forum.

Sigs & Avatars
Out of respect for people with slow connections, to keep page size to a minimum, and to keep the forum pretty looking and tasteful:

Please refrain from using flashy animated GIFs in your avatar.

If you host your own avatar, please keep the image to under 100x100 pixels and under 20kb.
Please keep images in your signature to a minimum size. No larger than a small "Get Firefox" button comme ├ža:

And finally: posting and you

Thank you kindly,
-Your friendly Diabolo.ca forum moderators

----

Matt_ on sensible posting:
The repeated use of "nice" over and over is spam. Spam is an acronym which stands for Stupid Pointless Annoying Message. Before you hit "Post", no, actually before you even write, think about what you are going to say and consider whether it has any value to anyone. Don't just post to see your post count rise.

Don't bump random topics. This thread is a few weeks old and you have added nothing to the conversation. In this case, it would've been better not to post (refer to above post about spam).

Don't overdose on smilies. A smiley once in a while can help convey your feelings, but adding eight smilies to the end of a short phrase is not only SPAM, but meaningless as well. It doesn't help anyone. In a similar way, consider the way you spell words and the grammar you use. Please consider that many using this forum are not native speakers of English, and it is up to those here that can properly use English to set an example for those that are still learning. Keep track of homonyms (like to, two, too) and try spelling words out instead of taking shortcuts (instead of 2 or u, say too or you). It also helps for proper sentence structure and capitalization, although that is not a requirement.

The problem with youth, as I see it, is that, because of their inexperience with the world, they have a difficulty grasping the ideals set forth by people myself and those who proceeded me. As a 19 year old American who still can't buy his own booze, I speak of the "youth" as those who are less mature than me. Surely there are many who classify me as the youth, of course. But in this context, let it refer to those on the forums, ignoring age, but rather referring to maturity. Lately, this has become troublesome on these forums, with many young people (yourself included) posting garbage that tends to ward off the other, more "productive" (so to speak) members. I was once the same way when I started using message boards when I was 12 or 13 years old. However, I have faith. As history as shown, those same troublemakers will eventually come around and become model citizens (and forum members) in their own right.

My point of that long diatribe is that so far, your posts and those of other young members have been very unproductive and resulted in a general feeling of uneasiness along the forum. My best advice is to read what other people are saying, find out what it means to be a respected poster, search for role models, and emulate their behavior. I'm speaking to everyone with this message, not just you. What members of Diabolo.ca do you respect? Why is that? Try to take just a little bit of that and reflect it back into your own life and with a bit of effort and consideration, I guarantee you will earn the respect of myself and many others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version