Author Topic: WJF 2004 (Final results, TV times, DVD trailer)  (Read 11772 times)

Punkerpanda

WJF 2004 (Final results, TV times, DVD trailer)
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 02:10:57 am »
i was very disapointed when they didnt show it.

and i could have guessed espn wanted to make money buy selling videos of the convention. which is really evil, cause i wanna see the diabolo section, but not as much the other stuff. they should do a system like itunes, where you can download the thing for a few dollars, like different clips.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 03:54:33 am »
man, i was so disappointed today when the show wasnt on  :(

vch

wjf videos online
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 08:13:06 am »
Hi!
We dont have EPSN 2 in Czech rep, but I am keen on diaboloing and I really want to see MFP, Ryo and Matt at WJF. I have seen Antonin in Paris and he was amazing!! Can you share some videos on internet and give me a link, please??
Thanx

PS:Here is our video http://www.diabolohk.fbi.cz/bestofhk.zip We are not as awesome :) as MFP or other guys, but hope you will be satisfied...

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 12:00:51 am »
well, i watched the first ball/rings show today. very impressive juggling, especially in the balls category. however, ESPN butchered it and basically made a highlight reel out of it. and of course, no diabolo. well...when they interviewed Chris Chiappiani, you can see, in the background, some dude doing diabolo. i dont think that counts though. oh well, it's too be expected. i guess to really experience it you've got to be there. i guess that's something for me to do next year  :roll:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2005, 12:08:48 am »
i BELIEVE (and may be wrong) that they will throw some diabolo highlights at the end of one of the shows. I think the passing comp has hardly any footage, so they may put the diabolo at the end. I think, don't hold me to that.

Anyone else know anything? Matt?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2005, 02:27:50 am »
Thought I'd fill in a bit about the WJF judging. I've been meaning to do that for a long time but got busy with other things.

Here's a brief summary of the scoring criteria that were used:

Styles of diabolo: 40 points (1D = 2pts, 1D excalibur = 4, 2D low = 4, 2D high = 4, 3D low = 8, 3D high = 8, 4D high = 10)
Number of tricks: 15 points (scored out of 25 tricks)
Difficulty of tricks: 15 points (5 pts for difficulty of 1D, 5 for 2D, 5 for 3D)
Execution of Tricks: 15 points (pts divided among need for corrections, unnecessary movement, speed/accuracy...)
Drops: 15 points (-3 pts per drop)

Those that were in the preliminary rounds but didn't make the finals were all asked to be judges. It was Eric's choice not to take part in judging.

I have a spreadsheet written for this scoring system. I promised to send it to a few people (and I'll get around to that soon). If anyone else wants a copy let me know.

-----

As for the WJF TV broadcast, I don't think Matt knows much more than before. Have a look higher in this thread and Matt mentions that he thinks the diabolo may be added to the end of two of the shorter broadcasts, the 6 and 7 person passing being one.

I highly doubt we will get the broadcast in Canada either. We get the occasional ESPN2 show on other sports channels but nothing regular.

Do any of you guys in the US have a TV tuner card installed and want to do some digital recording? If you can do that, let me know and I'll sleep easier for a while. :)

Sean

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2005, 11:44:06 am »
although we should have done it out of 25, as no-one even did 25 tricks, didnt we actually do it out of 50? that is what Matt chose, and i don't remember us changing it, although i do remember talk about it, so you probably changed it in the spreadsheet but didnt tell me, oh well.

We dont get ESPN2 (or 1) over here either, but i am pretty sure posting the shows online would be pretty illegal without permission from ESPN, so good luck with that. Just want to point out that i am in no way behind the online posting of the ESPN2 shows.

(if anyone wants to record them to video/DVD and send them to me that would be wicked, thanx :wink: )

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2005, 10:58:37 pm »
i can probably get it from tape-->digital format, a friend of mine has TV in on his computer, so ill take it from tape--->computer if i can (and if they show some diabolo footage)

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2005, 05:13:48 am »
Just a couple of comments:

I'm not sure what will be televised on ESPN2.  A while ago, Jason sent me, the MFP, and Yabe an e-mail asking us if we would prefer to have only the top 3 finalists shown on TV, or if we would like to hold out and have a full show just about diabolo that might or might not be televised at some future date.  Keep in mind that there would be no guarantee that ESPN2 would even televise it ever.  

The following is my response, in full, to Jason:

Dear Jason,

Put me down as voting for including the diabolo in the current shows.  Here are my reasons in no particular order:

1.)  In the juggling world, almost everyone is expecting to see diabolo on ESPN and it would be a tremendous disappointment to not have it aired (either in part or in its entirety).  
2.)  The diabolo competition this year (as you might agree) was ****ing incredible.  It deserves to be shown on TV so it can be exposed to a wider, non-juggling audience.
3.) The 6 club and 7+ club passing competitions had less competitors than the diabolo finals.  I would suggest showing a few cuts of Catchup and Rootberry, and if you must, the full Vova and Olga routines.  That might allow a bit more room for diabolo.
4.)  The box competition was weak (only 2 competitors and I sucked).  I would go so far as to say cut me out entirely and cut Daymont's routine down to highlights only.  That might allow a bit more room for diabolo.  

So that's the whole story behind that. I don't know any more, because Jason has yet to respond to me.  I hear he's been super busy editing with ESPN and getting the WJF DVD ready.  

As for the competition rules, they were created by Priam and me.  We both had an equal part in deciding what categories were created and what point levels were assigned.  We did it Tuesday night before the WJF sitting in my kitchen drinking beers and eating burritos.  That's the story behind that.  

Basically, cross your fingers and hope for the best on Feb. 2nd.  

Peace and respect,

Matt

4 days until I leave for the Scottish!  whoo hoo!
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 02:58:07 pm »
A new trailer for the WJF DVD was released (midway down the page). (Direct link to save the video. 18mb)

There are a couple short sequences of Antonin and there is a tiny clip of Yabe  backwrapping and doing a normal synch 42 with 3 diabolos.

I'd be interested to know how much diabolo made it onto the DVD.

Sean

Rusty

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 03:48:11 pm »
I have ordered the DVD, so I hope a lot of Diabolo and Boxes is there. But the DVD is supposed to be about 3 hours, so there should definitely be some.

Rusty
Norway

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 07:20:03 pm »
I posted this over on jugglingdb, but I'll do it here again,

Sometime after 1pm GMT, the WJF changed the promo video for some bizzare reason.  Which is a shame, because I quite liked the first one, with the more diabolo and the awesome 7 club runs, pirouettes and boxes.
As a result, some of the diabolo stuff was cut like Ryo's run etc.  Sure there was more D in the first.  This one has some Antonin and some random I don't recognise doing 3.

:? ....

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 09:28:08 pm »
i am behind Ryo getting my diab! See, i was there, honest.

Mattias

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 09:40:28 pm »
yay, go you! :)
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 11:44:37 pm »
I saw the original video at uni, so it should still be there, and when I watch it, I'm definately gonna look out for your head behind Ryo.  I've never had one of those moments when I can go "Look, that's me!"

You lucky bastard,

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills