Author Topic: Diabolocamp UK  (Read 11669 times)

Pete

• VotW Contributor
Diabolocamp UK
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:29:00 pm »
After the great vids from the German Diabolocamp some people showed interest in a U.K event simlar to that. I thought i would see if there was enough interest to organise a U.K. event and to get some ideas of where is best to hold it (if it happens). I have asked a few people already and they all seemed keen and were sure there would be more interest from others. What do y'all think?
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Mark BMC

• Donator
Re: Diabolocamp UK
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:57:03 pm »
Yes I two have pondered this.

a few thoughts.

-for transport reasons would probably be in a big city which probably already has a juggling convention.
-would tern out be high enough to merit effort/cash spent Ive been to quite a few convos this year  and the tern out of people at a decent 1/2 diabolo level is roughly 10 and normally the same people mods/ two cups/ponte people/ a few mancs/ local area diaboloists/ diaboloists in the show
- what is the criteria for the camp having an interest in diabolo in general to learn/improve/start.

however would

a diabolo heavy show
lots of diabolo workshops
enough top diaboloists together to shoot a vid in a couple of days  be enough to bring everybody out to a convo/camp at once?

I'd be well up for it

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:53:28 am »
I'd probably go. Would the diabolocamp be aimed at all abilities? or just people of a specific level?
Behind your back is your front.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 12:23:52 pm »
Anyone and everyone that does diabolo i guess. The more the merrier.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 01:34:31 pm »
Definitely a good location is paramount which will probably be in a city which already has an indoor location for a convention.  For myself, Birmingham is probably my limit on travel from Bath, perhaps Nottingham.

I've tried hard to organise a convention in Bath, but our sports department really doesn't wanna lend out the sports hall for it unfortunatly.  Still gonna try though.  So if somewhere has an established one, of course it'll be much easier to organise.  Remember diaboloists like to throw things high.

I'd love a diabolocamp, it'd probably fall on a saturday when I'm busy.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

eggy900

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 01:36:50 pm »
me and some of the VR diabolo guys would be up for it, i'd say birmingham is a good location as it is fairly central

fredo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:30:41 pm »
I'd come! Tell me location and date when you're ready with the organisation!  ;D

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 09:04:07 pm »
@Fredo, good to have international interest already, very surprising though. I considered coming to the German one but it clashed with Crawley i think

How about Milton Keynes? As far as i know it doesnt have a juggling event but theres bound to be a place to hire there and its easy to get to.

Something else to think about; When is a good time?

Andy

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 10:32:11 am »
I'd be up for this for sure! I NEED to learn new things!
Good time? I would have to say during some holidays seeing as im at uni and all. christmas, easter or summer although theres bjc easter time...
Milton keynes sounds good as does b'ham (anywhere relatviely close to me does!)
Any idea how much it would cost?
I'm sure I could get a group of peopel willing to come along and diabolo solidly for as much time as possible :D

Marc

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 02:31:22 pm »
I'm interested.

ztt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 05:38:22 pm »
interestedy intreasted and would love to go, it just depends on when and were, i also would say at a holiday tI'me (pprobablynot easter) and some where central of the ccountryso its not too too far for anybody
zack turner

one.man.band

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 09:27:56 pm »
I'd be well up for this! Do you think you could make it school holiday times? It'd be tough for me to go on a saturday...
Not sure how many times my diabolos have been in the pond

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 09:59:22 pm »
It would almost certainly be in school holidays. It would be too hard to get to for people who live further away. The first thing we really need to decide is a venue. Birmingham, Milton Keynes seem to be good locations. Notingham is a possibilty as well becaus eof past jugglign events there but i don't know much about that. But to decide on the actual building(s) we want to hire we need a rough idea of how many pople are going to turn up. Woudl apprectiate help from the German organiser here.

Price? Can't really estimate until we decide on a venue. Obviously we need enough floor space but also height is an issue. Ideally somewhere with enough height for high siteswaps. Anyone got any ideas?

Greg

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 11:27:42 pm »
Id definately go too. i rekon i could get a few of my friends to head down aswell, and my vote goes for milton keynes too, not too far from me, and also yeah holidays are good cuz it would be a bunch of guys from my uni i would be bringing

seán_

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 02:10:33 am »
Vote against MK here, being involved with setting up conventions has taught me you need people close on board. Plus it a fair jaunt for at lest 3 concentrations of the UK's diaboloists.

There are a few ways to do this.
Someone takes the bull by the horns, does all the organisation and takes the risk that people will go with it.
The same but with a group that decide to organise the organisation after sounding out the population.
Piggybacking an established event.
wether its an annual thing and will that stay in one area. I like the BJC/EJC model for this. build up steady. one group organises it, at the event hopefully some other group puts forward a bid they have been working on. The profits get passed on to seed the next event.

A few other things to think about.
If you're planning on more than a one dayer you need to think about accomodation (and often security)
Wether you are covered by the venue insurance or if you need to get some yourself (Different venues have different first aid requirements)
Holding an event only during the week makes things difficult for people who work for a living (even if it is in the school holidays). Summer holidays also often have a surprising amount of people away on holiday.
Money, venue dependant, probably going to need some kind of deposit at the very least.

Venues
Leisure centres. Quite expensive guestimate £50/hr, accommodation unlikely.

Universities, Variable, can be quite expensive, You need a motivated student/society to pull this off. Accommodation, potential of using halls during holidays. Shefields good in this respect as they have managed to allow crashing in the hall during their convention. I'm not sure of what they paid but their standard hall hire rate is as low as £20/hr at concession rate during term time, and would be cheaper out of term.

Schools, Theres a few conventions based in schools allready, at least 2 have crash or camping. I think having a connection with the school (preferably as a teacher/child of teacher over pupil) would help here. Theres schools all over the place as well. Can be a bit short on creature comforts.

Comunity centres, come in all shapes and sizes (though not often the highest ceilings), probably cheap, tend to be in dire areas so expect to be killed.

Holiday camps. quite a few of these about, people run soul weekenders etc at them, I dont know too much about them.

What have you. Farms (transport woes?), exhibition centres (all sizes), Aerodromes, rich persons mansion etc etc.

Keep your eye on the IJDB events list to make sure you arent clashing with anything else.

I'd feel a lot better about this if I'd seen more than 10 diaboloists at a juggling convention in the past year (like Mark BMC mentions).

There was a bit of talk about this before http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=508.0 some of the stuff I have kind of mentioned.

Anyhow, there some of my thoughts. If anybody wants to chat to me about this or get some contacts that might prove usefull you know where I'll be on the 4th Nov.

one.man.band

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 09:13:16 pm »
I've had a look around, ans Aston University, Birmingham looks like a good spot, the accomodation is typically £60 a week for students, but i've got no idea what they would expect us to pay, but here is the link for high-rise accomodation http://www.aston.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/types/highrise.jsp

They have a sports hall, which looks like it would do, because they play tennis and badminton in there, which is open 10.00-22.00 monday-friday and 10.00-17.00 saturday and sunday, but someone might have to ask to see if there is a place we can go just for diabolo, so we don't upset anyone, and it might cost a bit. Dunno, have a look around.
Not sure how many times my diabolos have been in the pond

Marc

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 07:19:56 pm »
why doesn't everyone come to Leeds juggling convention an we can just take other a section of the hall.
its on the 4th November
more info in http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2093.0

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 10:03:14 pm »
Would love to come up, but it's our University's Fireworks event for the city of Bath and my flatmate is organising it, so I'm wearing high-viz and telling cars where to go.

So, Leeds is out for me unfortunately.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

nev

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 11:59:47 pm »
Yeah, who the hell would organize a convetion the same weekend as Guy Fawkes Night?

I'd love to be there, but I've a bonfire to build.

As for diab camp, make it central i.e Birmingham etc & preferably over a full weekend & I'll be there (pending agreement with my controling parties).
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Tom Derrick

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 04:11:46 pm »
Birmingham uni would be ideal, considering that I live here :). Unfortunately, there's nowhere in the guild that's got a high enough ceiling, and the sports' centre is externally owned, i.e. expensive. I'm not sure about the Selly Oak campus or Aston uni, but it's well worth looking them up. I know that Birmingham uni has some halls which aren't used outside of term time, but there would be some extra cost if that was to happen. Sleeping in the hall would probably be cheapest, but that's only if they let you.
Another option would be checking out the Salvation Army. They may have a large hall available, and if they did, it would be exceptionally cheap. The downside to that is that it would probably be in a particularly bad area, but it's worth checking out, nonetheless.