Author Topic: Fly Diabolo (Bearing Diabolo)  (Read 67576 times)

one.man.band

Re: Fly Diabolo (Bearing Diabolo)
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 08:28:03 pm »
I'd like a yoho with a wide axle, because that means i can do all the tricks that i can do with a yoho including finger combos
Not sure how many times my diabolos have been in the pond

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 04:27:14 pm »
Got some of these Diabolo's now.
Play very much like diabigs, only lighter, if you like Diabigs these are a worthwhile purchase.
Fixed axle modification is easy to apply,as all you have to do is change the Centre axle, and tighten them up enough.
They're also very stable, especially the wide axle ones.
Cheers Nev  ;)

GT
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

cardsharp

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 04:31:42 am »
Great news guys :D
Windchill and I just got a huge shipment from a friend's dad who was in Taiwan. As far as we can tell they've gotten MUCH better than the last release. The company is now found at sundiasports.com and for whatever reasons the axle covers no longer screw on/off. They are bolted on much like the Henry's. For whatever reason though, there's still a little plastic disc. On the black discs is reads "Ryo Yabe Stale Diabolo" (maybe it's a typo of stable). We've had for less than a week, so we haven't been playing with them much, but they seem to be quieter than the older ones as well. No major changes in the feel of the diabolo (we've been through 3 generations of these things), but they seem to run a little smoother than the old ones.

fredo

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 10:49:25 am »
So there's no possibility to make them a non-bearing one anymore?

And where can I order them? This chinese yoyo site seems a bit difficult to choose colors and/or wide/normal axle.

Ginger_Tom from where did you get them? And which ones doyou have? Wide or normal axle?

Roland

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 08:32:39 pm »
errrrmmmm...my parents just bought me some a few months ago, and they still had optional bearing changes then...
maybe you got a different supplier...
and my parents bought it directly from the company...

thewu

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:35 am »
i'm pretty sure they have different types of diabolos. did you get ones with black plastic axles or metal (titanium i think) axles?

cardsharp

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 05:01:58 pm »
we got ours from their physical warehouse/store apparently, but we weren't there in person, so I can't say much as to the variety.
I think you can order by phone (helps a lot if you speak chinese). These were all black plastic axles and though I haven't tried it yet, I think you can still take a wrench to them and swap axles.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 09:08:04 pm »
OK, its been a while coming, but I am now the sole UK importer / distributer of the Taiwanese Fly diabolo.

For those that are not aware of this make of diabolo - they are a one way bearing diabolo available in either short or wide axle.  You can also "fix" the axle for normal play by changing the bolt part.  In the fixed mode they play very much like a diabig only lighter (Ryo Yabe now uses these diabolo's for this reason).  In bearing mode they play much like other bearing diabolos only MUCH more stable (they stay perfectly in line).

Available colours are:

White
Black
Light Pink (glitter)
Pink
Yellow
Orange
Turquoise
Blue
Purple
Green
Glow in the Dark (light kits also available)

Edit + Red also now available

All the colours (except black) are tranlucent (so a light kit will shine through)

For those at the BJC - William used these diabolos for his LED bit of the show + Tempei was also using them

Edit: Shop is now open www.diabolomoves.co.uk

Cheers all

Nev
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 09:15:48 pm »
I have to say I'm seriously considering getting some. I love my Diabigs and seeing as these are pretty similar in the way that they play why not?

I was wondering though: Is the wide axel version like the one for the finesse? (Good for grinds/fingergrinds and that's about it.)

Cheers,

-Leo

Behind your back is your front.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 09:39:20 pm »
Short answer: no, they're loads better!

Long answer: I bought three of the wide ones from Nev in Birmingham (there they are, in the bottom row of that pyramid).  I'm using them with fixed axles.

I'd definitely recommend them over Diabigs.   Which feels like a surprising thing to say, as Diabigs were such an improvement for me.  Diabigs spin fast and get up to speed quickly, but I found that I was churning through string with them, and they snag up for me more than modded Henrys do.  I think both those things are because of the plastic of the Diabig hubs.

Diabigs make a lot of stuff start working for me, but Fly diabolos seem like a step up.  The engineering seems a lot better, and the huge metal axle means they feel really light on the string, and string which is too old for me and Diabigs (I change my string a lot) is suddenly perfectly OK again.  Shame I've thrown so many old strings out!  They stick grind and finger grind very well which is another advantage over Diabigs.  Being wide axled, they're a little twitchier than Diabigs, which is something I'm still getting used to with 3, but I don't think that's going to be a big deal.  They're not twitchy like wide Finesses or Circus though - they seem more stable to me.

The biggest downside is that the plastic is harder and more rigid than Diabig plastic and they spin really fast, especially in bearinged mode, so they're best kept away from concrete.   But that's only a problem if you have a practice space like mine which although very available, has the worst floor imaginable!  I'd normally keep all my diabolos away from concrete anyway.

So yeah, I like them.

Dave

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 09:45:44 pm »
I'm not desperate to get them but I'm going to be going to a few conventions over the summer so I guess I'll be able to have a play with someones and see which version I prefer. I guess I'll probably be getting three or four of the purple ones anyway.

Thanks for the info Barnesy!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:12 pm »

There are the short / wide axles.

The wide seems more stable to me (but I like to play with wide axles anyway so I guess thats what I'm used too). The short axle is definately an option for those that like regular axles - its much more stable than a spinabolo, just not as much so as the wide axle (but I guess playing with wide axles for so long may have made my technique sloppy with normal axles (I even widened my diabigs for gods sake).
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 11:05:22 pm »
I don't think I'll be able to choose over t'internet. I guess I'll have to wait 'til the summer. The axles look really shiney on those pics -Bling Bling!

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 11:28:14 pm »
i like the stability and the smooth cups of diabigs but i like my widefinesseg2 more because of the lightness and the wide axle... but from what you guys say this could be an alternative to the g3 i wanted to buy! the diameter is about 130mm?

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 11:40:47 pm »
i like the stability and the smooth cups of diabigs but i like my widefinesseg2 more because of the lightness and the wide axle... but from what you guys say this could be an alternative to the g3 i wanted to buy! the diameter is about 130mm?

Just measured one of mine - it's more like 125mm.  Very slightly smaller diameter than a Henrys Circus, but close enough for the size to feel no different.

I'll have mine with me at Bungay if anyone from here is going. (And WJD (Lake district), Berlin, Carvin, Crawley, Bristol, etc)

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 11:57:15 am »
thanks, Dave...5mm more or less dont make a big difference... do you think they are good for someone who got really stuck to G2's?

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2007, 12:19:14 pm »
I don't think I can answer that fairly - I've never liked Finesses.  I think the answer may be 'yes', but I think someone who thinks G2s are good would be better able to answer the question!

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 01:38:56 pm »
I used to swear by Finesse, but since i bought some fly's off Nev I don't know how I ever managed to use my old Finesse's. The Fly diabolo is significantly better, though for some tricks they take a little getting used to. Worth every penny :D
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Martin_

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007, 02:16:41 pm »
Was tempted in birmingham alas complete lack of money meant i'll have to wait. Definatly looking at getting a pair at some point though they look pretty awsome.

David - SAS1

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 03:43:01 pm »
The short axle is definately an option for those that like regular axles - its much more stable than a spinabolo, just not as much so as the wide axle (but I guess playing with wide axles for so long may have made my technique sloppy with normal axles (I even widened my diabigs for gods sake).
I love regular axels and normally prefer them but these seem so much more stable than my finesses that I had to get one.  They are also excellent for vertax because of their stability.
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society