Author Topic: Fly Diabolo (Bearing Diabolo)  (Read 63193 times)

wesleyhsu

Re: Fly Diabolo (Bearing Diabolo)
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2008, 03:43:53 am »
I have been playing the diabolo from Sundia Fly for many years and never thought to buy other companys' because Sundia Fly gave me what I want including its shape, durable, comfort, and even price etc.
I strongly recommand those who are interested in playing diabolo trying to contact Sundia Fly to get fantastic stuff.

NeoRufus

« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2008, 02:20:06 pm »
I received my bearing fly's today. Loving them!

Now I've noticed I can move the axle for about 1-2mm between the hubs. Is this normal or should I tighten them?

Niclas

« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2008, 04:56:08 pm »
I received my bearing fly's today. Loving them!

Now I've noticed I can move the axle for about 1-2mm between the hubs. Is this normal or should I tighten them?
I think you should tighten them  ;)
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

nev

• Donator
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2008, 07:43:19 pm »
About 0.5 to 1mm is about right - (hand-tight is just fine) take care not to forcefully over-tighten them or the inner washer can distort and bind on the axle - it needs a small amount of room either side to rotate freely.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

monkiatzu

« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2009, 12:23:48 pm »
hey  how do these flys play for 3 low??
like i want to get 3 flys and yea iv gota few questions
i read through past posts but yea its not givingme wat i want
anyway
do flys make sounds? like with teh bearing and all? is there a sound say compared to a sun diabolo?
can you play them for 3 low async??
wat are some major problems if there are?
does the colour rub off on anything or does it pick up marks?

thanks in advance :)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »
hey  how do these flys play for 3 low??
Just fine. I don't know if many people use them in bearing mode with 3 very often. You can do it just fine, but it does feel a tiny bit different due to the one way friction. I used to use them in fixed mode for 3 all the time. In that case they feel similar to Suns. I certainly wouldn't learn 3d with bearing enabled flys - you'd end up learning all sorts of bad habits.

do flys make sounds? like with teh bearing and all? is there a sound say compared to a sun diabolo?
Yeap, the original (being sold now) version certainly does make a sound when the bearing is activated. It's activated whenever the spin is going against the direction the string is going. The triple bearing version is supposedly much more quiet, although I'm sure it's not quite silent either. Compared to other bearing diabolos the flys are quieter though.

can you play them for 3 low async??
Sure! They'll make a sound at every point in the pattern where they'd be slowed down naturally though.

does the colour rub off on anything or does it pick up marks?
I've only had white. Of course they do pick up a bit of dirt like anything. Compared to most diabolos this is minimal. The material is pretty easy to wipe off. Here's what one looked like after a couple years of use and a quick cleaning. These guys are (hopefully not lost!) in the mail at the moment.

monkiatzu

« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2009, 04:26:36 am »
awesome!
thanks sean
your my hero ;P
when you say bearing/fixed mode, u mean taking it apart and puting in the fixed axle right?, like you cant change them from fixed to bearing in a click of a hub duncan style?
but yea that looks awesome, for years of play thats a pretty clean diabolo.
thanks again :)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2009, 05:15:32 am »
when you say bearing/fixed mode, u mean taking it apart and puting in the fixed axle right?, like you cant change them from fixed to bearing in a click of a hub duncan style?
That's correct. You need to take them apart and switch the axle bolt. Not a big deal, although you probably wouldn't want to switch all 3 every day.

Hack

« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2009, 06:30:59 am »
Sean, you said it wouldn't be good to learn 3 low with the bearing. I'm going to buy 3 Flys, but they are probably the only ones I would ever use for 3. So should I just leave them alone, or should I switch them while I'm practicing 3? I don't have three of any diabolos, just 2 taibolos, 2 circuses, and 2 beach(which I never use), so would it be such a big deal if I learned 3 with the bearings, or should I change them in case I ever use any other diabolos for 3?

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2009, 07:54:52 am »
buy another taibolo. bearings are hard to learn 3 with.

monkiatzu

« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2009, 08:27:27 am »
yea im in the same position as you hack, exxcept i have 3 suns to learn 3d with, so i guess ill do 1 and 2 with flys and 3 with suns? that sounds ok
i wish i could get taibolos, but u cant get them in australia, and i dont buy overseas stuff sadly :(
ill just have to wait

but i still want my fly :P cant wait
thanks for all the help sean

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »
Hack: I'd buy a 3rd Taibolo or Circus. Then maybe buy 1 or 2 Flys if you want and leave them on bearings. If you want to learn 3 you're going to need to practice a lot and everyday. Switching them constantly would be a pain and an impediment to practicing regularly. If you want 3 Fly-like diabolos for 3, then I'd get 3 suns. But, really, if you've already got Circuses and Taibolos, those are perfectly good too.

so i guess ill do 1 and 2 with flys and 3 with suns?
That sounds fine since going back and forth would feel similar. You're not just going to do 1 and 2 with bearings though, are you?

Hack

« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2009, 04:56:29 pm »
Thanks, I'll do that.

Edit: I just looked at diabolomovees.co.uk (that's where I got my other taibolos) Because the v1 are on clearance there, I bought 2 white ones, but they are out of white, so would it be too much of a difference if I bought a v2? Or should I get a different color? If I should get a different color, should I get purple, or black? I know this is off topic but, oh well.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2009, 03:09:29 am »
i rock 2 black and 1 white. i would just get the v1 just to be safe
can't believe its not butter

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2009, 03:30:02 am »
so would it be too much of a difference if I bought a v2? Or should I get a different color?
Get the same version, different colour. Having a different coloured one is good for learning 3d anyways.

Hack

« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:13 am »
Thanks, I'll get the black one. And 2 Green Flys. Now I just need money...... but I'm making cds, so that should help.

monkiatzu

« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2009, 09:00:21 am »
hey
i got the flys
they play differently to suns
like really differently
its hard to do 2d
like a sun kinda needs a heap more force
is this because their new?
like when i   picked up my suns again, i noticed i was putting a heap more strength into it, a strength suitable for the fly
plz help
and aslo, is the axle meant to move slightly along its axle?

thanks in advancde:)

wgm

« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:24 pm »
and aslo, is the axle meant to move slightly along its axle?
do you mean up and down towards the hubs just a little? because if you do, mine have done that since I got them and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

JJesse

« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2009, 03:33:30 pm »
I also find it hard to do 2d with flys, especially transfers. Must be because the axle doesnt move and you have to do more work when doing suns.

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2009, 07:48:11 am »
the axle movement is fine.

they do play really different, they just take a bit of getting used to. give it time and practice.