Author Topic: Fly Diabolo (Bearing Diabolo)  (Read 63198 times)

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
Re: Fly Diabolo (Bearing Diabolo)
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 04:05:58 pm »
Thanks to nev and his magical fly diabolos, i have improved signifcantly, the only negative is they hurt, a lot, but its so worth it, Go and get yourself some!

Thanks Nev!!
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2007, 08:41:14 pm »
This is great! Thanks for setting up the distribution Nev.

I don't suppose it's possible to get replacement axles? ie. adapt a normal width fly diabolo into a wide axled one?

Any idea idea if Ryo uses wide or normal width axles? My only problem with wide axles is if they make hand thrown high pattern starts difficult with a backhand throw.

Hodges

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »
Yeah, i just got the spintastics spinabolo, and its not worth getting. the bearing broke after 2 days of me having it. oh and the hard plastic scars really easily when dropped.
completely off topic, but i thought people should know.

hodges
Where's the bloody Summer?!?!?

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 09:25:51 pm »
Thought this pic might be of interest.  The diabolos are: a Henrys Circus with PTFE axle kit, a wide Fly diabolo (with two white middle bits - I'm not using the bearings and wanted a way to tell them apart, so I swapped the middles round), an unmodified Diabig, and a Circus with Akrobat wide axles.  The thing I found interesting is that the Fly and the Diabig are almost exactly the same width, which is somthing I didn't expect, but maybe explains why people are finding them to be wide but stable.  And look how shiny it is!

http://barnesy.org/comparison.jpg

Dave

--
"Dave, you are a diabolo geek." - Luke Burrage, yesterday.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2007, 12:00:32 am »
I don't suppose it's possible to get replacement axles? ie. adapt a normal width fly diabolo into a wide axled one?

Any idea idea if Ryo uses wide or normal width axles? My only problem with wide axles is if they make hand thrown high pattern starts difficult with a backhand throw.

Yes you can change wide / short axles (the cups fit both) but you need the guts of both wide & short to do it.

I dont have the wide / short guts available seperately at the mo , but will investigate this for my next order.

Ryo uses the wide axle in the fixed mode - they are surprisingly easy to throw (they are my best diabolos for juggling 3 in the hands).

& thanks for the comparison Dave - I guess the wide axle also forms part of the hub - so if you're off line the string rubs the non moving axle part not the actual hub meaning more stability.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

cardsharp

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2007, 04:54:01 am »
yay! a UK distributor. Anybody know if there's going to be a US distributor anytime soon?

@nev: have you been able to buy parts? I've been trying to contact them through their site sundiasports.com to buy a few replacements for broken axles/caps, but not getting any email responses.

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 01:18:36 pm »
are there any options on the colours of the hubs and washers?

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2007, 03:05:08 pm »
Now I wondered why there was a bag full of the stuff at Birmingham, but why was I not informed!  I think I'd like to give them a go, a bearing will always be of interest to me for vertax.  At £20  a pop though, not bad, especially if they're gonna be the hottest thing around.

I'm intrigued why you decided to warehouse a huge bunch of diabolos, and how big was the box they came in?  Diabolos everywhere...

Chiok
(Crawley anyone?)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Dan

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2007, 01:58:09 am »
After receiving my 3 this morning thanks to nev i have pretty much cracked the problems i had with s-fans and also having way better results when trying to keep my 3d shuffle going (woooooo!  ;D).  The bearings rock for vertax but much prefer the fixed axles due to never playing with bearings much before.  Definately the most stable (along with diabigs) out of all the main diabolo choices and the most stable by along way with the wide axles.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2007, 03:28:01 am »
I received 3 white fly diabolos from Nev today and thought I'd pipe in with my initial impressions. It's been a long time since I've tried a new diabolo, and these came at a great cost to me - my girlfriend made me sell some of my old ones before I could get these.  :-[

Overall, they are fantastic! I think I expected them to look more like diabigs in person, but in reality they look quite different from any other diabolos. They are thicker and stiffer than diabigs and although they have just slightly a smaller diameter than circuses, they create the illusion of being smaller for some reason. The bright shiny white finish looks amazing.

They seem much, much, *much*, better engineered than any other diabolos I've seen. Not to say that circuses, for example, don't perform perfectly when everything is assembled and lined up correctly, but you really notice the thought that went into the flys when you take them apart. It's like comparing a BMW to Tonka trucks. These are well thought out, well engineered, and well manufactured diabolos. Every part has holes, protruding pieces, washers, and so on to make it all fit together in one correct and solid way. The outside is smooth, well finished, and fits together perfectly - none of those razor sharp unfinished edges you get on yohos for example.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to try them out yet, although my initial impression is that they have many of the advantages of the other big 3 diabolos all wrapped up into one. They have the stability and long spin of the Yohos, the easy to correct slippery plastic of the yohos, the crisp and precise feeling of finesses, the advantages of the wide axled finesse without the instability, the weight of the circuses with plastic hubs, and they stay straight. On the string, a circus with plastic hubs and a fly together feel very similar. They don't have that same somewhat soft feeling that I find the Yohos have, perhaps from the extra weight.

I didn't expect the plastic washer inside the cups to be bright yellow, but hey - I don't have to look at it! ;) Perhaps this is something that could be eventually modded? The ratcheted axles worked at least as well as any ratchet I've tried, although I quickly switched to fixed mode. You wouldn't want to switch back and forth on a daily basis - at least switching for the first time was a bit of a struggle with some pieces fitting together rather snuggly. Really though, if you got used to it, it should be no harder than switching the axles on henrys or finesses.

Anyways, I can't wait to take these outside and give them a good workout. I like what I see so far! Thanks for setting this up, Nev, and thanks for getting the order here so fast (4 days to Canada!).

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2007, 10:12:12 am »

I didn't expect the plastic washer inside the cups to be bright yellow, but hey - I don't have to look at it! ;) Perhaps this is something that could be eventually modded?

Try using perminent marker to colour them in, it worked well for me :)
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2007, 10:37:49 pm »
Try using perminent marker to colour them in, it worked well for me :)

Haha - you took my tip then Matt ;)

Yeah. I didn't expect them to come with the yellow washers either - seems they tweaked the design a little since the last lot I got.  The cups are now a little heavier on the rims & they saved this weight in the middle with the plastic washer (so they weigh the same as the old model).  Strangely - this only applies to the wide axle model - the narrow ones I got still had the old cups / metal holographic washer & clear plastic disc set up.

First thing I did was take some apart & colour the washer black with a marker pen - not sure how long they'll stay black this way - could always dye them - but I've sine kinda got used to the yellow.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

fredo

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2007, 01:32:18 pm »
I really want to order some, but I'm still undecided, whether i should get the normal or wide axel version. But as I had always played regular Finesses before I switched to YoHos, I guess the normal width would be better for me.

Sean, which version do you have? Normal or wide?

And nev, is there any possibility not to get white ones with yellow *yuck* washers?

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 01:50:12 pm »
I really want to order some, but I'm still undecided, whether i should get the normal or wide axel version. But as I had always played regular Finesses before I switched to YoHos, I guess the normal width would be better for me.

Sean, which version do you have? Normal or wide?

And nev, is there any possibility not to get white ones with yellow *yuck* washers?
Sean said they have the advantages of wide finesses without the instability, so I'm pretty sure he went for the wide ones.

If you're going to the Berlin fest (in about a month's time) you'll be able to try mine (also wide) if you haven't had a chance to try some before then.

The yellow washers don't really bother me.  They do look surprisingly OK coloured in with a marker pen (Nev showed me one, I've left mine alone).

Dave

Dan

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 03:20:27 pm »
I've got 3 wide axle fly's and well they are as stable if not more stable than my old modded circus's.  Mine have got a little marked and scratched but thats only because people keep wanting to play with them on concrete.  I haven't played with the normal axle fly's yet (i'll be ordering some next time probably) but i can only assume the normal ones are more stable.

diabolo store

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 04:16:17 pm »
How many diabolos do you need to be considered to be a "distributor" ???

I will be getting 200 chinese yoyos, diabolos, and singlle bell diabolos and other unusual diabolos :)
http://www.diabolo.ca/not-linked-to
Supplier of chinese yoyos and diabolos-single bell and double bell

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 09:02:59 pm »
I got mine today (normal ones but tested olobaids wide axled ones), they are so ****ing great, and they are quite stable against wind as well
with bearings I think wide ones are nicer than normal ones, havent tried them fixed yet though, but I'll propably try that today or tomorrow
the only downside... they look supercheap and ugly (especially the left one)

Dan

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 10:36:39 pm »
Yes i must admit they look more tacky than the other "best of the best" diabolos.  But they are so much of an improvement on anything i have previously tried (not sure if that can include diabigs really because i only used them for about half a day).  The edges of the cups are getting a little shredded on my three but that is completely expected.

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2007, 03:31:15 pm »
Despite the fact that they are seen by some people as 'cheating', I really like my new fly diabolos. I have learnt stuff that I previously thought was beyond me with my circuses. Once I have learnt something with them I try it with circuses and I think it really helps. Plus the scope for being able to do silly things with grinds is just far too good to be ignored.
The downside for me has got to be the fact that they hurt a lot more when I mess up, after Bungay convention I seem to have acquired a fair number of bruises, I guess I'll just have to stop making mistakes :)

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2007, 05:36:05 pm »
yes, it feels like cheating but thats just because they are better technology ;)

at first i thought i dont get used to the bearings but then it took me just one day and now i cant stop to try crazy things, that i never thought to be possible... and some of my tries on the "impossible" tricks went really well - and its just the 2nd day i use them ;D

i like the wide flys more than the narrow ones even for vertax( :o ) , seems like i get stuck to wide axles completely!

the only downsides are: the noise but thats only with bearings and the fact that they look real toystyle(hope they look better when they are used and dirty) but they are probably the best diabs i tried yet - and i really tried many diabolos, including yohos, circus and finesses in all their generations and different tuning kits, haha pretty nice diabs!!

goodbye finesse! i just gave them to my brother - but he also wants flys now ::)

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---