Author Topic: Dirty Diabolo Contest  (Read 12199 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« on: December 27, 2004, 03:23:42 am »
This evening I decided to crack out the acetone and scouring pad, lose the skin on my finger tips, and make my abused white diabolos a little cleaner again.

Funny how slowly the dirt builds up. Just 3 months ago my diabolos were perfectly clean and I have rarely used them outside. I was thinking that my diabolos were looking just a little grey - a few marks here and there - boy was I wrong.

Got me thinking that it might be fun to have a dirty diabolo contest (especially after seeing at the WJF that Priam has just cleaned his orange diabolos and is out of the running :) ). No need to clean your diabolos for the photo, I just thought the difference was stunning.

If you need a free image host try ImageShack.

Sean

Matt

• VotW Contributor
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 07:36:55 am »
Nice one Sean.  Did you take my tip on the acetone and scouring pads?  Priam and I cleaned ours before WJF.  He was pretty surprised, I thought, at how clean his got.  I'm glad mine are clean again, but they're going to get dirty quick once I start practicing 3 high outside again.  

I find I do better with clean props sometimes.  Focuses my mind and makes me feel like a bit of a pro.

Matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Tom Derrick

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 12:28:59 pm »
I've just cleaned my diabolo, but it was no way near being as dirty as that. Practicing with 2 differently coloured diabolos dirties them up pretty quickly.

I used a plastic ruler and a duster to clean mine, and it worked really well. I've never used acetone or a scouring pad. Doesn't the metal damage the surface of it?

Martijn

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 12:35:30 pm »
Now, THOSE are some really dirty diabolos! But, the difference from white and ermm.. black (dirty-white), is much bigger than (for example) blue and dirty-blue.

Although, my blue cups are never going to be that dirty. Give it up for Sean  :mrgreen:   :P
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 03:46:04 pm »
i dont think i have a picture of my diabolos when they were dirty. But they were as bad (perhaps worse) than Seans. Yellow/orange compared to dirty yellow/orange is a pretty big change. I cleaned mine the day before i left for Vegas, so they were pretty clean when i got there. I'll take a pic just before i clean them next time (and then an after shot aswell) that will probably be late March, they should be fairly dirty by then. Lucas's diabolos where literally black (with a red rim) at EJC, that was funny.

Paul

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 10:59:10 pm »
I have a circus in glow but I always feel really reluctant to use it cos it obviously wont glow when it gets dirty!!! Its more of an ornament at the moment!
Peace

staticjuggler

dirty diabolos
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 11:01:52 pm »
Mine weren't that dirty really, but this is the first time I washed them since I got them.

Static

www.staticjuggler.com
www.staticjuggler.com

How mad would a wood chuck get if a big neon pink Koala bear named Ishtar ran into the woods and chucked all the wood before the woodchuck could chuck the wood?

seán_

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 11:06:54 pm »
They were allready clean  Static. ;)

The second pic shows the matt look that freaked me out the first time I cleaned mine.

JiBe

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 09:09:11 am »
Get black diabolo :-)
Clean year after year after year... Well not really, but look clean...

JiBe

Martijn

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 11:41:17 am »
I liked them more when they were not clean :wink:

Buy black diabolo's, indeed! :P

barnesy

• Administrator
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 02:58:15 pm »
I've just washed my 3 Henry's Circus.  They feel different now, it's weird.  I'm sure the white one was never that white, either!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 05:31:07 pm »
yeah when i cleaned my orange one i swear it came out a lot more orange than when i bought it.

Matt_

• Donator
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 07:53:41 am »
here are my diabolos (blue circus, yellow beach), and my friend Chris' diabolo (yellow circus) in the middle... all Henry's if you're wondering. the Beach is pretty clean except for one smudge where it hit my PS2 controller (havent really used it outside my room yet). i havent cleaned them since i got them, which isnt a big deal since i've only had the blue one for a few months and the yellow Beach since christmas.

Howard

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 01:08:27 am »
Mine cleaned up well with baking soda.
Make kind of a paste with  baking soda and a little water, then scrub away with a  sponge.
Still takes plenty of elbow grease, but maybe a bit more mild than the brillo&acetone combo.

lemony

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 02:23:36 am »
bloody hell... i've just used my swanky new Henry's circuses for the first time (about 2 hours use) and they're already dirtier than my old diabolo got in 6 months... crazy
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

barnesy

• Administrator
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 10:56:48 am »
Quote from: lemony
bloody hell... i've just used my swanky new Henry's circuses for the first time (about 2 hours use) and they're already dirtier than my old diabolo got in 6 months... crazy

Yeah, they're amazing for that.  Mine will be in their teens soon.  It's impressive that they still seem to be going strong - they probably get smaller each time I wash them, and they continue to mark each other as well.

vinß

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 03:41:11 pm »
Hi !!

My name is vinß, I'm french (from Bordeaux) and it's my first message on this forum.

i've never heard about this website befor Priam told me I could easily win your "dirty diabolo contest" when he saw my phospho henrys circus. (and I do believe I can, actually  :lol: )

see you later,
Vinß

diabololi

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 04:08:19 pm »
Wow, are you sure those arent white marks on a black diabolo!!!!
Oli

Sean

• Administrator
Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 04:23:38 pm »
Quote from: vinß
Priam told me I could easily win your "dirty diabolo contest" when he saw my phospho henrys circus. (and I do believe I can, actually)

Oh my. You win. :shock:

Welcome to the forum, Vinß, great to have you here! I assume you have trained with diabolos for MANY hours by the dirt on your diabolos. It looks like you could use a little more dirt on the diabolo on the right. Get working on it! :lol:

Sean

Martijn

Dirty Diabolo Contest
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 04:41:24 pm »
You definately win! :shock: Congratulations and welcome to the forum :P  Give it up for.... Vinß! =D>