Author Topic: Diabolo on UK television  (Read 3220 times)

MattF

Diabolo on UK television
« on: January 03, 2005, 03:41:56 pm »
Did anybody (UK based) manage to catch the diabolo act on TV the other night?

It was performed by the Cirque de Solei on BBC 2 on New Years Day. Was really nice to see diabolo on TV. Well worth a watch

Tom_G

Diabolo on UK television
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 04:04:24 pm »
I missed it - I was out at some friends. However, I am going to see Cirque du Soleil perform in London on Friday - can't wait! I'll let you know how it was if you want.

(By the way, if you want to book tickets, they go REALLY fast, so I'd get them as soon as they come out - we got ours about a year ago. The english site is at http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/default.htm . I don't know if they are touring the UK or not this year.)

Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

Diabolo on UK television
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 04:20:49 pm »
There are clips of the diaboloists in the chinese style thread.

Cirque are performing in Manchester and Birmingham as well (different show to London)
Dralion,London Jan. 6 - Feb. 6

Saltimbanco, Manchester Jan. 6 to Jan. 30
Birmingham Feb. 24 to March 13
 Saltimbanco apears to have diabolo in it.

Theres a bit about cirque program and shows on rec.juggling as well. http://tinyurl.com/5h4pu

diabololi

Diabolo on UK television
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 09:49:30 pm »
I saw that. I also have the dvd, but I was a bit disappointed. It was well choreographed and beautiful to watch but I'm sure those girls are capable of more technical tricks (especially after seeing the fast leg bounce trick!). But I guess the general public think that throwing it up really high is really impressive  :) . Well done to them though, they have a nice act.

Oli

Tom_G

Diabolo on UK television
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 08:55:09 pm »
I went to Cirque du Soleil's show yesterday, and I have to say it was the best thing I've seen in a long time.

The acrobats were incredible, jumping through hoops 6m above the ground, forming human pyramids 5 people high, and balancing with one hand upside down on a pole. There were also some genuinly funny clowns, with some great hairstyles  8)  but the highlight of the show for me was the juggler, who started with some incredible contact juggling with up to four balls, moved onto flashy stuff with 5 balls and eventually ended up comfortably juggling 7 balls without a single drop. Only disappointment - no diabolo! :wink:

I would reccomend it to anyone who has a passing interest in circus arts, or just likes to be amazed once in a while  :)

Tom
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

Diabolo on UK television
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 09:30:53 pm »
I think the Juggler is Viktor Kee www.viktorkee.com

The other show in the uk at the moment (see my earlier post) says it has a diabolo act at the moment. Having said that it really should not be the only reason to go to see Cirque du Soleil.

eggy900

Diabolo on UK television
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 09:05:10 am »
Cirque du soleil are amazing. I've seen them in Orlando, London and Birmingham. The chinese diabolos were pretty cool but i prefer the bloke in 'Saltimbanco', he did some good technical body moves.  Also the bounce juggler was cool, she bounced 9 balls, then cascaded them!! :shock: