Author Topic: Bradford Circus Arts Convention (and York Chocfest)  (Read 10312 times)

MattF

Bradford Circus Arts Convention (and York Chocfest)
« on: January 06, 2005, 06:45:53 pm »
Hey all,

There is a convention in Bradford (West Yorkshire) on 29th January '05. The convention has workshops (diabolo, juggling, poi etc), magic, food (yey curry!!!), and a beard juggling stall.

Prices are as follows: £6 Entry, £5 concessions.

Intinerary:

10am - 6pm main convention
6pm - 8pm Free Curry
8pm - Midnight: Renegade show and party

Apparently the Bradford convention was very good last year, and this year should be even better, so if anyone from the forum is in the area or fancies travelling over then you are welcome.

From the forum these people are going to it so far:

MattF
seán_
Matt_H
barnesy

Let us know if you are interested  :D

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 06:52:16 pm »
I'll be there.  It was a good do last year.  Free curry instead of a formal show is an inspired idea.  They ended up feeding loads more people than were planned for last time, but it still worked really well.  

Looking forward to it!  (And to chocfest in York the weekend before, and to the Scottish in Glasgow, the week after...)

seán_

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:28:43 pm »
yup Chocfest and Bradford are going to be great. Hopefully there will be plenty of diaboloists there, especially from Leeds as we are well placed.

There will be a lot of great juggling there and a good time should be had by all.

I really enjoyed the the Curry last year worth the entry price in itself :). Also on offer at Bradford  are workshops on different props and a workshop on stage presence and performance.

Barnesy will be performing at  chocfest amongst other invited performers representing the great acts the Show has had over the 10 years it has been on. workshops, games and nice people.

diabololi

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:07:07 pm »
I'll probably be going to the Chocfest, But I live in SE London, and I'm already taking over 1.5 of my mum's days (I can't go to York by myself I'm only 15 :) ). So I cant really ask her to do it again next week  :(

Anyway, whos coming to the Chocfest?
any Mad French Posse Members?
Norbi?
Barnsey? (are you the inventor of Barnesy bags by the way?)
Matts?

Thanks
Oli

MattF

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 08:20:06 pm »
Quote from: diabololi
Anyway, whos coming to the Chocfest?
Thanks
Oli

The Leeds lot are going (me, sean and Matt H). Hope to see you there  :wink:

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 08:25:25 pm »

Oli, Oli: you got it right the second time. Barnsey never 'invented' Barnesy bags... Barnesy did. Seàn_ suggested we put the spelling of Barnesy in a FAQ section. Don't make me do that, Oli. ;)

seán_

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 08:31:19 pm »
Quote from: Sean

Oli, Oli: you got it right the second time. Barnsey never 'invented' Barnesy bags... Barnesy did. Seàn_ suggested we put the spelling of Barnesy in a FAQ section. Don't make me do that, Oli. ;)

and also putting in how to do the accent in my name (ctrl+alt+a) ;)

Actually because Barnesy is such an awesome juggler they were named after him. ;)

Seán

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:38:11 pm »
Hahaha!  It's good to see other people adopting my level of pickiness!   :)

I think I prefer 'creator' to 'inventor'.  There wasn't much innovation involved in stiching four bits of cloth together then not putting enough filling in them.  :)  But yep, that was me.  And I don't miss the days when I had to spend hours behind my sewing machine at all!

Looks like a fair few of us will be at Chocfest.  Me, Sean_, a few of the Matts, Luke, probably some others I've forgotten right now.  Hmmm, I'd best get on with practicing my show act more than I have been...

seán_

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 09:36:23 pm »
I'll probably be going to the Chocfest, But I live in SE London, and I'm already taking over 1.5 of my mum's days (I can't go to York by myself I'm only 15 :) ). So I cant really ask her to do it again next week  :(

Oli

Hey Oli, if Yorkshire is too far North for you there are other conventions closer to you. check this site http://www.jugglingdb.com/events/ for upcoming conventions around the world. (This link can be found in the websites sticky at the top of the forum)

Birmingham is not to far away (19th Feburary) Nottingham (5th of March) they might  prove less of a trek.

Seán

diabololi

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 09:41:43 pm »
Sorry Barnesy, Seán, Sean and whoever else I offended  :oops:
I've pretty much got my mind set on the chocfest, it seems like its gonna be pretty big... and I LIKE CHOCOLATE!
What part does chocolate play in the festival? Is there lots to eat?
Thanks
Oli

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 09:47:31 pm »
Heh, don't worry - I was amused, not offended.  

At the very least, there'll be the now traditional Chocfest Chocolate Cake Challenge - basically a thinly veiled excuse to eat lots of chocolate cake, and I imagine there'll be chocolate as prizes for the games, and probably more chocolate for other reasons I've forgotten right now.  And chocolate.

/honorary Yorkie

seán_

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 09:54:30 pm »
No worries
www.chocfest.net

You are encoraged to bring along a chocolate cake (bricks coverered in chocolate no longer acceptable) for the Chocfest Chocolate Cake Chalenge.
mr kipling wont cut it.
This will be judged and ate by the masses.

(people coming to Bradford do not have to bring their own curry as this will be provided as part of the entrance)

Seán

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 11:17:24 pm »
Quote from: seán_
and also putting in how to do the accent in my name (ctrl+alt+a)

Argh, I must be blind.  8-[  How long have I been doing that without you saying anything? (ctrl+alt+a) doesn't do anything for me. I need to hit (alt + 160)... or the wimp's way out: copy and paste your username. Who comes up with these crazy names anyways!? ;)

Definitely FAQ material.

seán_

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 11:56:28 pm »
Quote from: Sean
Quote from: seán_
and also putting in how to do the accent in my name (ctrl+alt+a)

Argh, I must be blind.  8-[  How long have I been doing that without you saying anything? (ctrl+alt+a) doesn't do anything for me. I need to hit (alt + 160)... or the wimp's way out: copy and paste your username. Who comes up with these crazy names anyways!? ;)

Definitely FAQ material.

Only since here :)
I just thought it was your Canadian/Canadienne keyboard ;)

Edit: is there a mod about? this thread has gone off topic! :)

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 11:15:33 am »
All being well I'll be at Chocfest with Nik and One Wheel Dave in tow.
My first convention in quite a while, should be good to catch up with old friends and meet forum members :D

seán_

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 03:06:16 pm »
Quote from: Dave P
All being well I'll be at Chocfest with Nik and One Wheel Dave in tow.
My first convention in quite a while, should be good to catch up with old friends and meet forum members :D

It will be great to finally meet you after hearing about you from Matt_H and Barnesy. I'm sure there will be plenty of people on the scene, who wonder where you got to, who will also be pleased to see you again.
I also look forward to meeting Nik and One Wheel Dave (and any one else from the forum).

Seán

Lukes thread on workshop requests for Chocfest

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 02:34:55 pm »
Chocfest: now with added Donald Grant.  Splendid.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 03:30:57 pm »
OK, so who's going to kindly ask Donald Grant if he has a trick for a video of the week up his sleeve? Any takers with a video camera? :)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 03:33:36 pm »
I'm already plotting on that one!   :wink:

el_grimley

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 12:20:18 am »
Is there crash space at bradford does anyone know? Or is it a case of e-mailing chappy doing the organising? Or even better anyone from Manc going?

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.