Author Topic: Dyeing diabolos and Liquid templating  (Read 22038 times)

seán_

Dyeing diabolos and Liquid templating
« on: January 07, 2005, 01:28:36 am »
I am slowly coming to terms with one of my Henrys. It runs true, is in good condition, has been on stage with me its great... apart from it's pink.

Every so often I consider doing something about that but never get around to it. Anyway recently I came upon a website showing a technique that could help me do something about it using dye and liquid templating.

I found the following when looking at some Yo Yo sites. From what I can make out 'modding' yo yo's or customising them, both in looks and physically for performance, seems to be a big part of their scene.

here's an example
another with a circus
And the site telling you how to do it

In the past I have seen people try painting diabolos but that doesn't really work. This method appears to do the Job quite well, it looks durable and pretty cool.

I thought I'd post these links in case anybody might be interested.

Seán

MOD links were dead so try
http://web.archive.org/web/20050205074821/http://www.mhcable.com/~yocraft/paint/liquid.htm

Punkerpanda

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:45:01 am »
wow, that's really cool, if i ever have too much time i willt ry that

Martijn

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:53:36 am »
That looks awesome! 8)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 11:29:22 am »
They look great!  we've got a box of white vipers left over from the last craze so I might have some blank canvas for experimentation. :)
Still, thi's nowt wrong wi' a pink Circus any'ow! :wink:

seán_

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:36 pm »
Quote from: Dave P
They look great!  we've got a box of white vipers left over from the last craze so I might have some blank canvas for experimentation. :)
Still, thi's nowt wrong wi' a pink Circus any'ow! :wink:

white and glow seems to be the base colours of choice.

on't pink front aye, well tha knows that, n'ar knows that, but  no other bugger seems t'know that! ;)

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 04:31:28 pm »
Quote from: seán
on't pink front aye, well tha knows that, n'ar knows that, but  no other bugger seems t'know that! ;)

sod'um!

MattF

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 10:43:15 am »
oooh camoflage diabolos........ *dribbles*

very cool, i might give it a whirl.

onewheeldave

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 03:35:05 am »
They do look amazing.

Here's a link to a similar discussion on the contact juggling forum, which has some detailed instructions-

http://www.contactjuggling.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=812&highlight=scratches

eggy900

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 12:38:10 pm »
those look cool, especially the camo one, i might have to try that after i've cleaned my lumo jazz

Spooned

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 06:54:42 pm »
Prehaps something to add to the customizing diabolo thread, looks cool all the same, and how do you come across things like this?
Diabolo or Diablo

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 04:57:17 am »
Hey, this is awesome! I might need to try it, but before I might, do you think there is any way to get your diabolos colorized like this and glowing? Like, put some glowing colorization on a nonglowing circus? Now that would be awesome!  8)
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

fredo

Spraying
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 06:28:44 pm »
You can try it with spraying, use 2-3 coats and then a protection or clear varnish.

But there are other ways to embellish your diabolo, e.g. just stick a spiral of tape into your diabolo, take care of the colour, dark diab - bright tape, that looks great.

If you use luminous tape, active in uv-light like neon-yellow etc. in a black or dark diabolo you get a great effect of a turning spiral, but take care of the direction, the diabolo has to turn into for the wanted effect (For example if you want it turning inside to outside you have to stick it anticlockwise.) Always stick the same direction on the two cups. Form the end that you stick in first like a wedge, to get a flowing transition(is that right, sry for my english) cut small cuts in the tape like this_________________ circa up to three quarters oft the width
     __|_____|_____|____

that helps you getting the round form.

Form the spiral very close together. (If it's too wide, you can't see any effects, just the colour, but try it first with a cheap crepe tape, as I did).

Maybe you have to decrease the width of the tape to get it enough narrow, try it :wink:

I did a two diabolo routine with two black diabs, under uv_light of course, one with yellow tape, the other with a red one TURNING IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. That looked really cool.  :D
PS: Don't forget the uv- active neon string...

This is a very good option to led-kits, cause it's much cheaper. If you have the occasion to play on a stage with a GOOD uv-light facility, just do it, the effect is wonderful.

Or just stick glitter tape in 4 stripes like a cross into the cups, or stick a big circle exactly on the edge of the cup. Or one circle or more in the cup. The same is true for neon tape except of the cross, that doesn't look good.

When I did my show, I also had three or four stripes of neon tape around my sticks , here the same amount of possibilities, change the widths, alternate the colours and distances between the stripes, that makes suicides and so on look good.

If any body is interested, I could write a more detailed tutorial with images of that things. Either you give me your e-mail address or I'll put it into the forum.

Steve-O

dying finesses
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:29 pm »
well there is already a topic on this but i wasn't sure if anyone would ever see it and reply to me. so i wanted to do a new topic.

plus the thread to which they refer does not work for me on any computer i have ever tried and was wondering if someone could repost that so i can look at it i would really like it to be posted on sorry for any annoyance i am for reposting a topic even though i looked it up thanks to all

also i was wondering if the dying method actually worked?

seán_

Re: Dyeing diabolos and Liquid templating
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 10:48:32 pm »
If you add to a thread and it bumps back to the top and people see it.

Saves digging up old info, I dont think anybody bothered to try really, but maybe some newcomers will have something to add.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 11:55:24 am »
basically i decided to try this last night and used dylon powder, DONT DO IT! IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL AND COSTS LOTS OF MONEY! just thought i'd let everyone know to save people making the same mistake i just did as RIT dye is not readily available in the uk
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

kyo

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 09:54:56 am »
I actually recall when scarecrow first created that website about 8 years ago or so.. very cool stuff indeed.

Since then there have been methods developed for dying plastics as well with all sorts of wild effects using a combination of heat, acetone, and rit dye. For the rubber stuff like diabolos, all you need is heat and dye. But for instance if you had some of the white plastic tuner hubs for the Henry's, you could dye those too.. the Delrin they are made of takes dye only under heat though, but the effects you can do are limitless.

You can do solid masking in many different ways, the simplest being the glue masks that I believe are outlined on that site.. but use your imagination :)

The real key is to make sure the heat is right, and the mix is right, and you need to make sure that you are using a color that is darker than the base shell you are dying.

RIT dye is definitely recommended, though I know others have gotten various other types to work.. but RIT always seems to be the most popular due to its strength.

It never actually occurred to me to do this with a diabolo, use to do a lot of vipers though.

Kyle

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 07:12:58 pm »
Since you have done it before with yo-yo's if you have lets say a blue yo-yo and you dye it with red, will it turn purple?

I think people would flip... Black MB Finesse lol, that would look really cool!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 02:14:53 am »
Yeah custom coloured diabolos'd be sweet. Would it be possible to dye a pattern? It would look cool to have a swirly effect :)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 11:05:00 am »
On the site that had the instructions, it showed how to do different colors....

Yeah the hard mask.... Do a base coat and then brush glue where you want to keep the base coat, let it dry then dye, then put glue where you want to keep the base and the 2nd coat, dry, dye viola you have a 3 colored diabolo....
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 03:33:56 pm »
Since you have done it before with yo-yo's if you have lets say a blue yo-yo and you dye it with red, will it turn purple?

I think people would flip... Black MB Finesse lol, that would look really cool!

hehe got 2 of them
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.