Author Topic: wooden sticks  (Read 4238 times)

allsoppy5

wooden sticks
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:36:10 pm »
Are wooden sticks good or bad? I personally don't know. I like them better for grinding but they give me bad blisters! lol

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: wooden sticks
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:20:08 pm »
Once again read the Posting etiquette! there was just a thread made on this recently. Here.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Beni

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:32:59 pm »
Actually, that thread was made a little later than this one ;).

I assume you mean classic dowel-shaped wooden sticks. It is best to modify these or move on to some better ones (that's where my thread comes in handy :)). Not only do they give you blisters, they also make grinds nigh impossible and infinite suicides tend to end up in a lot of string wrapped round one stick. The worst thing is the knots which prevent the string from sliding off the sticks in moves like spaghetti and inverse trapeze. If you want to modify the sticks, I suggest thinning them for easier grinds and applying a grip for the handle. Check out the making your own sticks thread for more information on this.

allsoppy5

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:10:10 pm »
I think grinds are *** easy on wooden sticks!

_Matz_

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:47:48 pm »
then try the damn henrys alumine, or composite sticks, so you see what grinds are.
|)><(|   hope you understand my english

Beni

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:35:48 pm »
Yeah, can you grind for 30 seconds plus on wooden sticks?

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 10:39:54 pm »
Do you get excited if someone grinds for 30 seconds or more? I don't think that is very intresting to watch..

But I think wooden sticks are pretty nice, they're cheap, the weight is nice for their size. Only problem is the way you have to attach the string into the sticks. I have modified some wooden sticks with tips of babache sticks, so no problems with the string. I did use the sticks for vertical stuff quite a bit, but the did broke little too easily and I got bored making them so I have been using my carbons now. Maybe I'll fix a pair someday soon, the're pretty fun to play with.

scottp45

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:58:05 pm »
can you drill a hole in your diab wooden stix for the strings to go in (so then you can do a bunch of trix like infinites with/o having the string wrap around the stix) without problems with them later?

scott
The atomic weight of carbon is 6

now help the bunny rule
the world by putting it
in your signature           (\__/)
                                  (='.'=)                       
                                  (")_(")

seán_

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 12:28:16 am »
you can do that scott, Jibe used to do it (amongst others).
Because of the grain direction splintering the end of the stick when you get a vicious snarl up, or a heavy ground hitis a real possibility.
Jibe used to prepare both ends of his sticks for when this happened.

Beni

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:59:52 am »

Do you get excited if someone grinds for 30 seconds or more? I don't think that is very intresting to watch..

It made VotW...

Anyway I was just making a point.

I think grinds are *** easy on wooden sticks!

I see my help was appreciated.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 04:07:00 am »
Beni, It made VotW because its one sweet grind combo. And its only nine seconds ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

greendiabolo

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 06:34:34 am »
i think alumines are best.

Beni

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 04:52:15 pm »

Beni, It made VotW because its one sweet grind combo. And its only nine seconds ;)

Well obviously. But you couldn't do that with wooden sticks without a finger grind axle.