Author Topic: Handsticks - Pros and Cons  (Read 34057 times)

Martijn

Re: Handsticks - Pros and Cons
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 09:26:22 pm »
So it seems the Extreme g3s are the perfect handsticks so far.

Hahahaha! No.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

scottp45

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 09:49:23 pm »
is there any american/canadian retailer that sells carbon stix? im so p*ssed off about the taxes, tarrifs, and other crap that you gotta pay from ordering from europe.

scott
The atomic weight of carbon is 6

now help the bunny rule
the world by putting it
in your signature           (\__/)
                                  (='.'=)                       
                                  (")_(")

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 11:27:15 pm »
Fibreglass and Carbon Fibre Stick are quite different as the first is flexible and the other is rigid.  Also how can you not bend and be flexible at the same time?

Bill, He means don't bend as in Henry's Aluminum, like they stay bent when they bend. But they are flexible and bend back. I hope this helps
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 11:59:24 am »
As a heavy user of henrys short carbon, i disagree with the fact they dont bend, they bend slightly, just not as much as the fibre.

GT

PS: They bend more and more with heavy usage, but as long as you are a smooth diab player I have never had a pair break on me.
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

Phil189

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 02:04:33 pm »
i have cabons, and alu's, i use my carbons more as they are longer, they dont break, i havent had one break or even anything to worry me with them, the alu's are ok altho hey are a little too short but they are lighter, and more comfortable with the good grips on them. i would go for carbons they are good for alot of different tricks
Diabolo Zone - Looking for somewhere to host your diabolo videos? Share, host, view, rate, and comment on diabolo videos at Diabolo Zone. Check it out >>>> www.diabolozone.com

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 06:15:30 pm »
Oh and, Tiamat, You cant just remove the metal bit and do that, if anyone wants to know why,try it and crack your sticks with a knot shoved down that narrow carbon rod, although it is handy to remove the metal bit because if yur knot goes inside you can actually shake the carbon rod out of the plastic sleeve then get your knot out with hopefully the carbon bit in one piece.
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

Beni

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:53 pm »
But can carbon fibres withstand 20 smashes on concrete from doing unwrapped infinites?

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 09:07:56 pm »

But can carbon fibres withstand 20 smashes on concrete from doing unwrapped infinites?

I smashed my first set of carbons into the ground quite a lot from learning infinite suicides and they haven't broken yet...that seems to go along with what most people who have carbons have said in this thread. I'd say its a good idea to be careful, but surely that's the case with any handsticks.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 09:31:37 pm »
I think people expect too much of their handsticks and equipment.  Handsticks aren't like other pieces of juggling equipment, they're not designed to be bashed or dropped like clubs and boxes (although I've known brands of clubs which aren't nearly as resiliant as a pair of MB Energy).  Take care of the prop and the prop will take care of you, well, as far as is expected.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

mofosyko

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 01:13:48 am »
My favourite hand stick was the Henri's short black fiberglass. The weight was just right for me and the flexibility was good for doing vertax.

I do think that they are not as strong as they need to be, one of my sticks broke in the summer as a result of a missed mini-genocide. The stick hit the metal axel and snapped.

But you can't expect a stick to be flexible, cheap, and not break after extreme use.

I now use MB Aluminium G2's, they got bent went a vertax genocide hit a fixed metal object. Easily bent back.

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 12:06:47 pm »

...as a result of a missed mini-genocide. The stick hit the metal axel and snapped.

that is a very big problem, especially if you pull some extraspeed to get the "late" minigeno/geno... this is a very hard hit, concentrated on a small point!

But you can't expect a stick to be flexible, cheap, and not break after extreme use.

thats the point! the price from the 2 giants in selling jugglingprops are already very low(mass-production), people have to stop to dream of the hot iced-lolly! its just ridicolous what some people expect.
try to think of how many hours of fun you had because of the 20 bucks for the handsticks every once in a while- wasnt it worth it? i cant think of many hobbies which are cheaper...

glad no one came up with titaniumsticks here :)
there will always be pros and cons, you just have to find the right balanced sticks for you!
i think a listing like in post no1 can help to find without to try them all!
good thing!

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

Beni

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 06:12:15 pm »
Talking of handsticks, how are the glow ones in terms of durability?

n3mo

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 11:16:46 pm »
yeah, i've used wooden handsticks (no grips) for the past six years, never broke...never got blisters either, and i play pretty often.
-definitely magic knots are harder, sometimes the string gets caught on the knot.
-suicides/genocides hurt a lot if you miss and hit a knuckle or toe.

is there much of a difference between carbon and fiberglass?
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 06:25:42 am »
not sure, id go carbon though.
i had a go with my old wooden handles today, its so hard! couldnt even release the diabolo for a genocide, got caught up. im in love with my new handles and string....ahhh *kiss*

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 04:52:03 pm »
Carbons are great sticks and are my fav but they do break relatively easily, my friend's carbon today just fell in half without hitting it or anything :D
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 08:38:56 pm »
Haha that was funny, i was going to ask, should carbons just snap (near the grip) when doing infinate unwrapped suicides? it hit nothing atall, then i hear a click and looked, and it had snapped. Strange...
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

n3mo

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 11:06:59 pm »
i've heard a lot of stories of carbons breaking...and they're about 30 bucks too.  :-\
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Dan

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 12:02:28 am »
My carbons have been through alot of torture since i got them (my first sticks about 7 months ago now) things like hitting the ceiling whilst learing infinate suicides and ohh so many incidents with lights and windows  :o.  One of my mates even tried to swing it full pelt in a small room with quite along sting on it.  And then the wiseguy that thinks they can jump on them.  But my carbon rods are stong so only a few cracks in the outer plastic bit.

Btw i use short carbons.  Someone who i got into diabolo bought some long ones and after just under a week one of the sticks snapped so im not too sure about them.  Energy sticks are ok (i think they are arcylic or something similar) but haven't had the chance to use them alot.  As for fibreglass i am inexperienced with them completely - although my brothers sticks are meant to be the same as mine yet im sure they weigh more and bend more (oooo a conspiracy with firetoys  :P).  I suggest anyone looking for the best sticks to go to a juggling shop and try them all out.

Dan

Tom Derrick

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 02:29:58 am »
Carbons do break, but they've got to be put under a fair amount of stress for them to break(could be a hard hit, or longterm continuous strain). Then there's always the rogue disfunctional one, but that doesn't happen too frequently.
In 2 and a half years of long carbon stick usage, I've only broken thee sticks, and all of those were due to doing genocides badly. One turned bendy after it hit the ground hard during a regular genocide, and the other two properly snapped (and even tore through the plastic coating) after hitting the axle during a vertax genocide.

k2pek2

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 02:36:50 am »
my friends have been breaking their sticks lately, it was weird. my friend had shorter fiberglass sticks but they cracked, so he emailed renegade and he paid a bit for metal sticks and he's happy with them now. and my other friend broke his wooden sticks from renegade the first day attempting a suicide and hitting them against a table, it has been weird. he's getting fiberglass sticks now. i have the longer fiberglass sticks and i love them. a problem was that i had to superglue the grips to stay on but i don't have problems now. the grinding difference and comfortability between the two is no contest, fiberglass all the way. knots are also much easier without tying the strings at the ends of the sticks.
-John