Author Topic: Handsticks - Pros and Cons  (Read 31885 times)

Beni

Handsticks - Pros and Cons
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:18:21 pm »
Long sticks
Pros - Whipping/webs made easier, easier grinds, more power when speeding up.
Cons - Use up more string on sticks where the string goes through the middle, break string quicker, suicides are harder.

Short Sticks
Pros - Suicides made easy, use less string (on sticks with the string going through the middle).
Cons - Harder grinds and webs/whips.

Short sticks are usually around 330mm (12.5") and long sticks are about 410mm (16").

Henry's Carbon Fibre Sticks (Short or long) - £14/£15 ($27/$29).
Pros - No bending, good for grinds, light.
Cons - Breakable, wastes string.

Henry's Fibreglass Sticks (Short or long) - £14/£15 ($27/$29).
Pros - Flexible, light, good for grinds.

Henry's carbon fibre and Henry's fibreglass sticks are almost the same apart from flexibility and maybe breakability (new word??).

Henry's Aluminium (Short only) - £9 or so ($17).
Pros - Strong, good for grinds.
Cons - Bend easily, may break string.

Mr. Babache Extreme G3 (Short only) - About £12 ($23).
Pros - Almost no wasted string, strong.
Cons - Handles slip around.

Mr. Babache Energy (Short only) - £11/£12 ($22/$23).
Pros - UV/glow options, flexible.
Cons - Tips break.

Wood (Short or long) Around £2 ($3), £4-£6 ($7-$11) with grips.
Pros - Cheap, strong.
Cons - Bad for grinds, string doesn't slip of ends so easily because of knots, can give blisters if they don't have grips.

Costs include VAT (%17) and may not be totally accurate. Currencies are British Pound Sterling and U.S. Dollar.

Note: This post will get edited often as it is based on feedback.

The Vitamin Guy

Re: Handsticks - Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:33:46 pm »
Wow, some research done there! An excellent topic I'd say. About my favourite handsticks, Henrys Carbon all the way. I have never broken a pair, I don't think that they are fragile or anything... maybe I'm just lucky.
The Vitamin Guy

Beni

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:38:18 pm »
Well I don't want to waste money on the wrong handsticks :). I heard that carbons broke easily, and my fibreglasses are making very worrying sounds, so I was thinking of trying for aluminium.

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:51:12 pm »
i had alu sticks, but moved to carbon becase the seem stronger, certainly less malliable (bendy), sooo much lighter and have very comfy grips. i rould the alu ones snap string easily as the edges get sharp, bend then snap. if i were you i would go carbon. lovley sticks.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

seán_

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:54:10 am »
Babache extreme ally g3's dont have the end braking trouble any more (AFAIK), putting them with enregy is chalk and chese.

Henrys fibreglass seem quite flexy to me (long ones especially)

as for certain strings breaking string, be careful where you diabolo, file/knife/sandpaper knicks when noticed, keep your eye on the string and ensure it can rotate freely in the stick ends.
I havent had a string snap in well over a year.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:04:21 pm »
Fibreglass/Carbon Fibre Sticks
Pros - No bending, good for grinds, light, flexible (fibreglass especially).

Fibreglass and Carbon Fibre Stick are quite different as the first is flexible and the other is rigid.  Also how can you not bend and be flexible at the same time?
Bill.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »
I wouldn't have said Henrys Alus are heavy-only in comparison with carbs.
Behind your back is your front.

Tiamat

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 02:06:36 pm »
For Henry's carbon, you can remove the metal part on the end of the stick not to waste string  ;)
Chloé

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 02:37:40 pm »
I wouldn't have said Henrys Alus are heavy-only in comparison with carbs.

Yup, I'd say carbon sticks are light and Henr's alu are perfect ;) It's all a matter of preference. But I do like this topic! I think it'll be a great resource for new members. I will write something about Peter's lightsticks sooner or later... ;)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

The Vitamin Guy

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 03:09:30 pm »
@ Beni - Maybe you could edit the post, and separate carbon and fiberglass.
The Vitamin Guy

_Matz_

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 03:24:25 pm »
i just love my henrys aluminium sticks. they possible long grinds, and great suicides.
|)><(|   hope you understand my english

looby

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 04:31:04 pm »
..... as for certain strings breaking string, be carefukk where you diabolo, file/knife/sandpaper knicks when noticed, keep your eye on the string and ensure it can rotate freely in the stick ends.
I havent had a string snap in well over a year.

Off topic I know but it should warrant one swift answer avoiding the need for an extra topic.  I've always had trouble allowing the string to rotate freely on henry's aluminium sticks.  If I use one knot, the string gets lodged in the centre but that way is flush, although two knots creates the problem wooden sticks have when accidently catching the string.

Any ideas appreciated
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

seán_

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 04:43:57 pm »
looby, I make 1 knot as tight as i can, then use a lighter to melt of the excess and to get a smoothe shape. you need to be carefull because of the flame and the hot melting plastic.

Diabolo.ca does not endorse/recomend this method to anybody who hasnt got good sense - adult supervision advisable

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 05:31:23 pm »

LOL! no knotmelting under 18! 21 in the US ;)

melting the knot is really helpful but take care the hot nylon is very painful on the skin!
i recommend a standard double knot. this way you can form a tiny ball at the end of the string!
i took the pictures from my lightsticks recommendations sheet(painted myself 8) )
never had a string twist or snapped string!
i know from Martijn that he dont bothers if his knots can revolve or not, he needs the excess string for stopovers and magicknots. so its personal preference!

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 05:47:19 pm »
Yes, the lightsticks work the same as Henry's alu sticks, the knot can be placed inside the hole, and can be taken out very easily.

i know from Martijn that he dont bothers if his knots can revolve or not, he needs the excess string for stopovers and magicknots. so its personal preference!

Actually, I'm only using it for the 3 diabolo 2d stopover start. The stopover won't slip down because of the little bit of excess string that comes out the knot :) Same with my Henry's alu sticks.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Beni

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 06:58:31 pm »
OK, I have edited the first post a lot, hope you like it :).

Fibreglass and Carbon Fibre Stick are quite different as the first is flexible and the other is rigid.  Also how can you not bend and be flexible at the same time?

I put them together because they are the same style. They are seperate now. When I said they don't bend, I meant bend in the way that aluminium sticks bend (i.e. they don't spring back).

seán_

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 07:56:12 pm »
You are still saying that extremes tips break. I havent heard of anyone breaking the latest ones yet, unlike the older ones that broke all the time.

fredo

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 08:48:39 pm »
You are still saying that extremes tips break. I havent heard of anyone breaking the latest ones yet, unlike the older ones that broke all the time.
Right. The latest version is really unbreakable. Disadvantages are that you have to change the tips or smooth them if you play on tarmac (same with henry's) and that the handles can slip off a bit and the end looks like you're quite hungry when playing diabolo. Both problems are easy to avoid/fix though.

Beni

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 09:14:05 pm »
Not getting you fredo...

Right. The latest version is really unbreakable. Disadvantages are that you have to change the tips or smooth them if you play on tarmac (same with henry's)...
Why? What has the floor got to to with it? I think I'm missing something.

So it seems the Extreme g3s are the perfect handsticks so far.

fredo

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 09:15:49 pm »
Not getting you Fredo...
The silicone handle slips off and it gets cut when the stick hits the ground. It looks like someone chewed on it. ;)