Author Topic: aluminum sticks - modifications?  (Read 6192 times)

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
aluminum sticks - modifications?
« on: January 12, 2005, 01:36:28 am »
just switched from henry's carbon to henrys aluminum, and really liked the tip on the carbon's where the string would catch (for magic knots). I know Baptiste and some of the other Posse members have something attached to their aluminum sticks to serve the same purpose; not sure what it is though.
If anybody knows what it is, I'd be happy to know. Other than that the sticks are sweet :D .

thanks
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:53:13 am »
In case anyone is in the dark about those aluminum sticks that some people used at the WJF and hasn't been following the forum closely:

The sticks that Baptiste, Antonin, and Eric were using at the WJF were the new Babache aluminum sticks. I was just talking with Dan from Higgins Brothers (Canada) and he'll probably be ordering those when they become available in February. My guess is that we could convince Ben from Serious Juggling (US) to get some in as well.

Here's a thread on the new Babache aluminums:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=89

Basically the end pieces screw off to change the string. They come with 2 sets of end pieces so you can easily keep 2 pieces of string going.

I think you may be right, Jacob (I assume), that some of those sticks had been modified to keep the string from falling off the end. I believe Antonin's may have been modified while Baptiste's weren't. I think the only reason Antonin modified his was because he starts his 3 and 4 high with a diabolo in a stopover.

In many ways, I'm sure you will adapt to the feeling of the aluminum end pieces and magic knots over time and it won't be an issue. I think I prefer the having magic knots slip off the sticks easily now that I'm used to it. (You just have to learn to use stick angles more carefully.)

Do be careful about not hitting the floor with your Henrys aluminum sticks when you're working on infinite suicide genocides. All 6 of my sticks are bent because of that... and they're hard to straighten out perfectly after.

Sean

seán_

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:30:16 am »
My Henrys Ally sticks are now becoming my handsticks of choice at the moment. It took me a little time to get used to how they behave in tricks like magic knots but It didn't take that long.

I was considering using something like friction tape at the ends to help but I decided in the end just to use them as they are and I'm very happy with them that way.

I'm looking forwared to trying the new Babache handsticks. I like the idea of the spare ends.

Blimey Sean, how badly did you bend them?

kragen

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 02:08:58 pm »
I used aly sticks before I used carbon sticks and I actualy prefer the way the string slips off the end easier on the aly sticks, im trying to think of ways to make my carbon sticks more slipery :P

Some tape around the end of the sticks would probably help stop string slipping off nicely.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 02:37:03 pm »
can anyone tell me what is the difference between the fibreglass and carbon handsticks (henry's) ??

I have alu handsticks now. but i want an extra set of sticks... I'm not sure if i should buy alu, fibreglass of carbon sticks....

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:52:20 pm »
The Fiber glass sticks are a bit more flexible compared to the carbon sticks. I broke one pair of carbon (in 4 months) and one pair of fiberglass (in 1,5 month), so from that moment, I stopped using the flexible stuff, and changed to Henry's Alu short sticks. I love them!

I really can't w8 to get the new MB handsticks :D When do they come out?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:55:16 pm »
Quote from: zzz...
can anyone tell me what is the difference between the fibreglass and carbon handsticks (henry's)

Please read the equipment sticky at the top of the forum and also try searching.

Another option to keep string from slipping would be to add double sided tape to the end of your stick. Maybe also grinding a small groove?

Sean

Paul

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 11:40:42 pm »
You know whats really weird????? I switched to ali sticks today and all of a sudden i can do the fan!!!! how bizarre. I thinks its cos of the shorter lenght. I feel I have more control
Peace

crystalbeast101

Re: aluminum sticks - modifications?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 03:21:05 am »
do you guys have any tips on how to maintain/restore the tip if it's scratched, bc mine are scratched and keep chewing through the string