Author Topic: Spectra for string.  (Read 6415 times)

Anonymous

Spectra for string.
« on: November 11, 2004, 05:26:59 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to use spectra for string. I broke my last one and since I work in a kite shop and it sounded pretty good I decided to use it. I am just wondering what others think of spectra as a diabolo.

For all those who don't know what spectra is I will explain (What I know).

Spectra is a line that is used for stunt kites, it is made to have very little friction (so that when you lines get tangled up lots of time you can still control the kite) and is made not to stretch.

Juggling_Arcs

barnesy

• Administrator
Spectra for string.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 05:32:46 pm »
I've heard it said that the Henry's string is actually kite string.  I don't know if that's true though.  

Spectra sounds like it might be good.  The important thing for me is that it needs to have a fairly round cross section, and it shouldn't loosen if you take a short length and compress it, like the thick white string a lot of juggling shops sell does.

If it's like that, then I'd like to try some.

Matt_H

string
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:37:55 pm »
Yup Dave, Henry's string is indeed kite string.

Matt.

Juggling_Arcs

Spectra for string.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 05:38:40 pm »
I really don't know if it compresses well. How can I compress it and what would I need? I once tried to make myself a yo-yo string out of it but I could not compress it.  

Juggling_Arcs
If at first you don't succeed, Sky Diving is not for you.

No luck involved it was all skill... or absence there of.

barnesy

• Administrator
Spectra for string.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:43:17 pm »
I didn't put that very well.   I'm talking abou tthe looseness of the weave.  If you can hold a little bit of the string in both hands, and push your hands together, if you can see the weave loosen as you do that, I don't think the string will be any good.  The Henry's string is so tight that it flexes when you do that, while string that isn't so good will go a bit fatter instead, which means it'll be pretty useless when you wrap the string round a diabolo.

seán_

Spectra for string.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 05:54:18 pm »
kite line can be used, Some UK juggling shop sell it for diabolo (at a bloody pound a length scamming effers) its untreared and doesent like moisture in the air.

masons twine (plumbline) has been mentioned. somebody was talking about using thin dynema cord (?) from climbing (if it can been found thin enough).

one of the leeds uni lot uses fishing line.

Seán_

Juggling_Arcs

Braided Dacron for string (the spectra had problems)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 06:10:14 pm »
I had to switch strings from spectra, even though it had nice low friction it had the problem that when I messed up on some tricks it would knot and it is very hard to get knots out of spectra (its slick and small).

So I switched to Braided Dracron and heres what I have found.

Ups (compaired to Spectra):

1. Dacron is tightly bound (weaved?) so that when you compress it does not come loose.

2. The string is a little bigger then spectra so (for me) it is littler easier to see, catch, and play with.

3. It is a lot easier to get out of knots.

Problems that I had with Dacron

1. it is not quite as slick as spectra(low friction) so it looses spin a little faster.

2. If you are going to use Dacron make sure to get more that 50 LB test. This is what I am using and I have broken a few times (when the diabolo bit it)

This is all that I have noticed right now. This is probibly the string that henry uses (although I really don't know).

Juggling_Arcs.
If at first you don't succeed, Sky Diving is not for you.

No luck involved it was all skill... or absence there of.

el_grimley

Spectra for string.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 02:46:03 pm »
Quote from: seán_
kite line can be used, Some UK juggling shop sell it for diabolo (at a bloody pound a length scamming effers) its untreared and doesent like moisture in the air.

masons twine (plumbline) has been mentioned. somebody was talking about using thin dynema cord (?) from climbing (if it can been found thin enough).

one of the leeds uni lot uses fishing line.

Seán_

I'm pretty certain the kite string that people use for diabolos is a type of Dynema. Most climbing dynema is'nt too good, it tends to catch quickly.

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Spectra for string.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 05:34:07 pm »
I've recently tried Dyneema kite line and not really liked it. It has stretch in the region of 2% so it just felt really jerky when whipping etc. It also makes a horrible noise on Renegade axles.

The string from kites usually used for diabolo is bridle line(sheathed dyneema/polyester), not flying line (bare Dyneema).