Author Topic: "Kung Fu Fighting"  (Read 3878 times)

cardsharp

"Kung Fu Fighting"
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:12:09 pm »
Ok so - for our school's talent show, windchill and I are going to be performing and have already been put on notice: no drops. This led us to play the strengths of our diabolos, the ratcheted Taiwanese rigs last forever while in vertax. A few minutes later, windchill started whistling the song "kung-fu fighting", and our performance theme was born. The only problem is we're a bit short on martial artsy tricks/moves. We're looking for suggestions, mainly simple stuff that we could choreograph a "fight" with.

So far we have:
fans/s-fans
umbrella (which we have to learn)
a weird variant of some vertax leg stuff, where my body would be basically horizontal and I'd kinda windmill my legs.

We'll put up a video if it works, we swear :D

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: "Kung Fu Fighting"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 07:32:12 pm »
You could go with out-tricking each other like in 'Of Baguettes And Diabolos' (tricks getting progressively harder) and end with some of the fighting theme stuff you talked about.
Behind your back is your front.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:45:15 am »
i think its more about how YOU move with the diabolo, not the tricks you do.

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:44:20 am »

Ok so - for our school's talent show, windchill and I are going to be performing and have already been put on notice: no drops. This led us to play the strengths of our diabolos, the ratcheted Taiwanese rigs last forever while in vertax. A few minutes later, windchill started whistling the song "kung-fu fighting", and our performance theme was born. The only problem is we're a bit short on martial artsy tricks/moves. We're looking for suggestions, mainly simple stuff that we could choreograph a "fight" with.

So far we have:
fans/s-fans
umbrella (which we have to learn)
a weird variant of some vertax leg stuff, where my body would be basically horizontal and I'd kinda windmill my legs.

We'll put up a video if it works, we swear :D

look two first tricks! and because you have friend, you dont need to hit/kick/headpush by yourself.. you friend can do that.. (if you find that too difficult you can ofcourse "hit" diabolo with stick also)

fingergrinds are very nice if you do it with kung-fu style! maybe fingergrind passing between you two while "fighting"

seán_

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:10:33 am »
have a look at http://www.gettheshoe.com/trailer/gts_eng.mpg and check for mannerisms that work well with a kungfu style, the come here hand gesture, the kneck crick etc.
mind you might not work in the middle of that song but probably usefull to set the scene during the slow intro.

As miesta mentions motion is important as well as just the tricks. Motion past each other might work well, swinging 1d sun as the other big suns, a bit of too and throw over who gets the centre stage.

a turning complicated entry to a magic knot that is then launched towards the other who catches it into 2d might be a nice way of starting the 2d bit?

Good luck with it and enjoyi it.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:17 pm »
Watch Tony's video on diabology if you have it you could lift or adapt a few things from there or possibly make some 2 person variations. Whips duicides, fast suicides (unwrapped inf. suicide?). Watch some of Williams videos, get inspired.

Quote from: Sean_
have a look at http://www.gettheshoe.com/trailer/gts_eng.mpg

Stangely enough i was looking for this video not too long ago, thanks for sharing.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

seán_

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:12:37 am »

Stangely enough i was looking for this video not too long ago, thanks for sharing.

Get the Shoe is in the draft BJC show line up, thats something i'm looking forward too

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:01 pm »

Get the Shoe is in the draft BJC show line up, thats something i'm looking forward too
Woohoo, kick ass!  If you excuse the pun.

Diabolo handsticks make kinda of a pair of nunchucks that you can swing.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

cardsharp

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:03 am »
Thanks for all the videos/ideas guys, I'm thinking lots of fast passes off of sticks would work too. Could I get some music suggestions now?
"Kung Fu Fighting" seems a little too soft sometimes.

seán_

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 02:52:54 am »
try the fatboyslim remix