Author Topic: Excalibur: a basic tutorial  (Read 74031 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Excalibur: a basic tutorial
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:21:12 pm »
I heard a request in the little excalibur video thread for a beginning excalibur tutorial to make do until after the Scottish. Not one to pass up a video opportunity, I put a small video together from some stock footage. You'll find it at:

http://diabolo.ca/video/basic_excalibur.mpg

Have fun!

Sean

Martijn

Re: Excalibur: a basic tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 07:36:48 pm »
Thank you Sean! I think it's very helpful for most beginning excalibur-people :D
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Tom_G

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 07:59:08 pm »
:D Brilliant - just what I needed. Thanks a lot Sean!

Actually not quite what I needed - I also need a large open space and nothing breakable nearby :)
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

leftofpunk

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 08:03:07 pm »
I hear that. I do most of my practicing at work (cubicles) but twice a week when I go to acting class I can practice before and after in the black box theatre (bout half a gym). It really helps not fearing everything around you.

MattF

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 08:07:30 pm »
great vid. i have got the basics of excalibur down, and i will definately use this vid to get the excalibur sun down.

cheers sean

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 08:08:26 pm »
Surpisingly, my excalibur improved greatly when I forced myself to practice it in a small room with plenty of breakables. Teaches you to stay in control. :)

Of course, I'm just talking about standing there keeping the diabolo in the excalibur position. Doing suns or genocides would not be good.

Sean

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 08:09:22 pm »
Hmm.... not sure about that one Sean  :wink:
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

seán_

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 08:53:24 pm »
Thanks Sean, good prep work for the Scottish.

When I first tried excalibur I tried using my usual LH BW that I use to accelerate 1d. MattF pointed out that was why I was failing. Now I use a RH BW and have no excuse for why I can't do it. ;)

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 09:16:04 pm »
Sean, all of your video are excellents tutorial for us. Good teacher! :lol:
Rooted diabolist.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 09:35:36 pm »
Thanks for the tutorial Sean.  I can now get the diabolo going in the vertical axis.  I'm having one problem, I can't get it perfectly vertical.  When it gets just to being vertical the diabolo pops off the string.  Do you have to change your hand positions and movements as the diabolo reaches the vertical position?  Thanks!

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 11:18:52 pm »
Once you get it perfectly vertical you can lower your left hand and raise your right hand. It definitely takes a while to get comfortable holding it in that position.

There is a certain relationship between when you need to turn your body and the angle of your arms to control the tilt of the diabolo that you need to figure out. Oh, and small hand motions generally work best.

Now go break some lamps and take out some eyes! Yeeha

Sean

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 02:11:21 am »
Hey thanks, I already took out a house plant. :lol:

Julian

Arjan

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 09:24:39 am »
Quote from: Sean

Now go break some lamps and take out some eyes! Yeeha

Sean

Hahahaha, you`re going excalibur with your lethal finesses G1??? Hahahaha!!!  Better get down guy`s!

tetsuya

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 05:25:46 pm »
It's real strange... I can do the excalibur, but I make it in another way...
The diabolo spin opposite... I hope I'll show you this way..

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 08:34:00 pm »
I thought about what you said tetsuya, and figured some wicked cool stuff out.
with the diabolo spinning regularly (counter-clockwise), turn to your left, and face backwards. start chinese whipping (uppside-down), and go into excalibur as though it wasn't crossed but wrapped, it still works. it's harder to get totally vertical, but if you straighten your right arm out to the side, and use your wrist more (so the diabolo's going over your elbow and forearm, not upper arm and shoulder), it's possible to get it vertical
from here, you can do all the regular suns, go into ping pong much easier, do neck orbits, and I'm sure it's possible to do lots of other cool orbiting tricks. Neck orbits are wicked hard, and I burned my neck trying one. You real have to keep it moving fast, I got it to leave and come back to the string once, but it immediately dropped level, hit the string, and wrapped; these are probably much easier iwth wide axled finesse (I have circus). Maybe this'll open up a new group of excalibur tricks.

-Jacob
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

hammerhead

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 11:44:24 am »
hi, im trying to learn to get my mdiabolo to spin vertically, and whenever it gets near vertical it falls from the string, i will explain my technique incase i am doing anyhting wrong i dont know about.
i wrap the daibolo in the string once around the axle (i am rightie by the way)
when i have got my diabolo spinning then io place my left stick forward and contiue to spin, my left stick is also higher than my right, the diabolo gets near vertical but then falls out of the loop. what am i doing wrong???

Vojtas

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 01:41:42 pm »
Quote from: hammerhead
hi, im trying to learn to get my mdiabolo to spin vertically, and whenever it gets near vertical it falls from the string, i will explain my technique incase i am doing anyhting wrong i dont know about.
i wrap the daibolo in the string once around the axle (i am rightie by the way)
when i have got my diabolo spinning then io place my left stick forward and contiue to spin, my left stick is also higher than my right, the diabolo gets near vertical but then falls out of the loop. what am i doing wrong???

dunno.. same mistake i was doing, but after seeing sean's video, it disappeared.. keep trying  :D
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Spooned

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 04:04:48 pm »
If i see you hammerhead, which i hope to soon, i will show you how i do it (not that im great but u no). The same thing happend to me when i first tried, then i left it and came back to it about a month later and it worked first time, good luck, and sorry i cant be more help.
Diabolo or Diablo

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 04:29:47 pm »
A few possible things that might be causing it to fall off:
1) When you're whipping the diabolo (circular like Vux or normal chinese snaps) then you might be getting a bit of slack at the bottom which causes the diabolo to unwrap and then fall off.

2) When you're raising your left hand and lowering your right to tilt it, your hands at this angle will unwrap the diabolo and it'll fall off.

3) You're not turning with the diabolo and the angle that it's tilting at unwraps the diabolo by itself.

So the advice would be, keep your whips tight which really requires you to get the feeling for it to not come too loose.  And when it's getting near to vertical, remember to stay behind it like when everyone first started diaboloing as it tilts and bring your hands back level (plane) when it's near vertical.  Once it's there you don't need to raise or lower your hands, just keep whipping.

HTH
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Paul

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 03:27:24 am »
Has anyone encountered this problem. When I do a righthand backwrap (I'm right handed by the way) Whether I do speed suns, Snaps, whips or whatever the diabolo tilts away from me. If I use a lefthand backwrap the opposite applies. This stops me from doing excalibur too. Anyone got any ideas? I learned to live with it for normal one and two diabolo stuf but I should sort it out really!
Peace