Author Topic: Solid Loop Diabolo Workshop - Notes  (Read 7079 times)

Nick

• Donator
Solid Loop Diabolo Workshop - Notes
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:13:12 pm »
Tom Derrick and I ran a workshop on Solid Loop Diabolo Technique at last week's BJC. (Thank you to everyone who came along.)
During the process of preparing for the workshop I made step-by-step instructional notes for most of the tricks that I do regularly. If anyone is interested in learning some loop diabolo, my notes are available to download from here:
Solid Loop Workshop Notes

It would be nice to see more people experimenting with loop play, so hopefully this will inspire someone.
Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Happy Learning,
Nick.

Edit: Now with videos to illustrate some of the tricks:
Gyro Flop
Frontstyle Stuff
Slack Suicide
Re-Edit: Videos are Offline.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: Solid Loop Diabolo Workshop - Notes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:48:46 pm »
That guide is brilliant for learning from. Thanks for putting it together! Do gyro-flops have to be done with bearing diabolos or would I still be able to manage them with diabigs?

Cheers,

Leo
Behind your back is your front.

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:44:54 pm »
I've only ever managed it with a bearing diabolo, but I'd still hesitate to say it isn't possible with a normal diabolo. Those Diabigs are built like tanks so they may have enough momentum to pull it off, though.
There is a relationship between how hard you pull the strings and the speed of the flop, and also, unfortunately, how quickly the diabolo dies. The harder you pull, the faster the flop but the quicker the diabolo loses spin. You could try experimenting to find the right pull strength that will flop the diabolo without killing all of the spin.

Try it and see if it is possible.
Nick.

P.S. I've changed the document to mention bearing diabolos, and added another trick I learned at BJC.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:58:50 pm »
i didnt know that there were so many tricks for loop diabolo!

by the way the loop diabolo workshop was great, still cant get two though!

tommygrhcp

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 05:04:48 pm »
I can do a gyro flop out of a loop (as can many other people, old TOTW on here i think) so there's no reason why you cant do one in a loop. I do them from a cradle and end up in backhand.

Squiggle

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 01:45:22 pm »
Cheers for that. Very nice. As i have been mainly doing loop diabolo the last few days.

Any chance for Video tutourials for some of the tricks? Some stuff i'm not so good at learning from text.

Thanks again.

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 02:16:50 pm »
Are you after any tricks in particular? If you let me know which ones you want, I shall try to film them at the weekend.
If anyone else has any video requests, ask away.

Glad to hear that people are actually using this.
Nick.

Squiggle

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 02:23:56 pm »
The ones that seem really cool to me and i'm interested in learning would be

Slack Suicide

Gyroscopic Flop

Thumb mount slack to Heart to horizontal Slack to Eiffel Tower.

And any of the yoyo styled moves ("Front-Styled Tricks.")

Thanks any of these would help.

Especially the yoyo ones , would help me bring some tricks over from yoyo i guess.

Cheers

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 03:07:09 pm »
Most of the frontstlye tricks that I do are inspired by (ripped off from) the first combo in the Yukky video (Just watched it again. Never gets old.). After popping it onto the top of the loop he runs through a series of moves that are closely related to yo-yo moves. I have named these in accordance to the standard yo-yoing lexicon.

Somersaults: Basically a between-the-arms sun done frontstyle.
Under-Passes: Pass a finger under the diabolo. A bit like an orbit. Also known as a Barrel Roll.
Boings: Bounce the diabolo back and forth between two strings. See Boingy-Boingy for an example.
Pop 'n' Fresh: Throw the diabolo up into the string as in the first half of a Boing, then cross your arms underneath the diabolo and catch it back on the string. See Pop 'n' Fresh for an example.

I just try adding these basic moves together to build up combos.

There is a written, and illustrated, description of the Slack Suicide in this thread.

Videos to follow soon.
Nick.

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 11:12:54 am »
I have added some illustrative videos to the first post. I'm afraid that I forgot to film the tower trick this weekend. I will try to get it recorded ASAP.
Any more requests?

Nick.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 12:17:13 pm »
3 Low in a loop? ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Squiggle

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 01:03:01 pm »

I have added some illustrative videos to the first post. I'm afraid that I forgot to film the tower trick this weekend. I will try to get it recorded ASAP.
Any more requests?

Nick.

Cheers. I'm checking them out at the moment.

No more requests from me at the moment. There may be once i learn all of these :P

Thanks again.