Author Topic: Diabolo Sticks - Getting the right weight.  (Read 8202 times)

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
Diabolo Sticks - Getting the right weight.
« on: January 23, 2005, 09:31:19 pm »
Hi

I've been tossing the diabolo for a year or so, and its getting better day by day :) . However I have yet to crack Infinite suicides, Genocides and the majority of Wraps. :(

I have a sneaking suspicion that my sticks are not weighted to my diabolo, although the phrase "bad workman and tools" also comes to mind.
(Babache Harlequin and standard wooden sticks).

Q - Do different sticks make a difference?
Q - Do aluminimum sticks weigh any more?

Any advise much appreciated.

Cheers

Ronnie2tone
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

diabololi

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 09:40:09 pm »
hmmm, I prefer carbone fibre sticks for genocides and infinite suicides, but wooden sticks aren't that much different. I cant do genocides with alu sticks (the big ones) because they are too heavy. What problems are you having with the tricks? if the stick isnt coming round fast enough then the sticks may be too heavy.

Oli

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 09:42:51 pm »
I use short alu sticks for every thing. The only 2 disatvanteges are the tips can get scratched from the streets and the may bend. But they are perfect if you maintain them well.

Punkerpanda

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 09:46:41 pm »
they shouldnt make much of a difference, it's just getting used to the feeling. i dont know if aluminium sticks weigh more, since henry's are solid.  i am trying to make my own ones though at the moment, with a hollow rod.

i have been having quite some problems with them though, since they tend to kill my string extremly fast. i started out with tefflon tubing in the rod to prevent erosion, but the tube got rubbed in half. then i made some wooden tops, with a hole in the middle, pieces of it would fall of. then my dad got me some hard plastic tubes, which we then made into the similiar wooden tops, except they wouldnt break anymore. with those the string lasted not even a day(really sucks if you try to practice).  yesterday my dad and i made similiar tops like the henry aluminium sticks have, with a small hole through the middle and a bigger diagonal. these lasted until 3/4th though juggling club, and then the string went byebye. but ithink they just need rounding....and i have no idea why i just wrote all that :P

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 09:47:28 pm »
Its more the other way, the stick is coming round too fast.  When I try to slow it down, the diabolo slips down to the floor (when doing infinite suicides)

For genocides I can't keep the string from wrapping at least 3 times round the diabolo when re-catching it.  

My previous thoughts was that the problem lay with the sticks being too light for a Harlequin?

Alex

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:47:35 pm »
Aluminum is heavier than wooden, fiberglass, or carbon fiber.

With my Finesse, I couldn't do a genocide or infinite suicides with aluminum sticks.  Then I got some carbon fiber sticks, and got it right away.

I don't know if it's the new sticks, or the fact that after I got them, I had to use very short string for a short time.  I suggest you try using short string to learn before buying new sticks, since it's a lot easier, and you can learn the motions.

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 10:01:29 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Nice idea Alex about the shorter string. Added benefit of reduced damage range in the house. I will keep at it. Cheers :)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 09:25:48 am »
I have used wooden sticks forever, look at the tricks i get away with. I use Henrys Circus, a little lighter than the Harlequin, but not tooo much to make a difference (and i can actually do it all with a harlequin anyway) so dont give up hope, wood is super sweet, just hurts a lot more when it smacks you on the hand.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 09:32:39 am »
Yep, another vote for wooden handsticks here!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 12:18:51 pm »
Quote from: norbi
wood is super sweet, just hurts a lot more when it smacks you on the hand.

But it doesn't hurt *nearly* as much as being smacked by aluminum sticks. I've had certain fingers go numb for days before after particularly bad hits.

I started off with large wooden sticks too (as almost everyone probably did). There's really nothing wrong with wood, and it does have many benefits, but for me, the string has to come out of the centre of the end. If the string comes out the side it wraps up on the stick constantly and the feeling isn't as accurate since you are never sure where the string is coming out of.

There are some other interesting threads out there on stick selection on this forum too. Have a search, if you haven't already.

Sean

Martijn

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 03:13:45 pm »
Hey, I use short Henry's alu sticks at the moment. I love them cause they have a much better grip, and they react a bit slower with suicides (due to the weight), which give me more time to catch the sticks.

I did use wooden sticks before (especially in summer, when I diabolo outside), because the string broke to quick with the alu sticks :( Now I only use them inside (or on grass) and vile them with sandpaper often. That works great! I just love my alu sticks, and can't w8 when the new alu stick of MB come out :D
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 03:16:58 pm »
Quote from: Sean

I started off with large wooden sticks too (as almost everyone probably did). There's really nothing wrong with wood, and it does have many benefits, but for me, the string has to come out of the centre of the end. If the string comes out the side it wraps up on the stick constantly and the feeling isn't as accurate since you are never sure where the string is coming out of.

I think JiBe mods (or did) his wooden sticks so the string comes out of the ends. I tried this once and though it worked I broke an end off during a particularly violent wrap up (the only stick break in all the time I have diaboloed). There was a how to I stumbled upon via Jongle.net but I have not been able to find it again.
Basically, if memory serves me right, you have the standard holes then you drill in from the end. I think that both ends of the stick were done to allow for the stick to be used if it broke.

On the infinite suicide and genocide front, I believe Mattf learnt these tricks with Harlequins and henrys carbon sticks, I learnt them with circus and wooden sticks so it is probably down to learning how to deal with what you have to hand.

I'm using henrys ally ones at the moment, and they have caught and hurt  me a few times. There are some thoughts in the equipment sticky

Martijn

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 03:18:35 pm »
Wood hurts me more than aluminium!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 11:46:28 pm »
Just to let you know, I borrowed a set of sticks that had a shorter string. Got the infinite suicide going on my 3rd attempt  :D  Now trying to replicate it with my wooden sticks(also on a shoter string), and its quite a bit harder, although possible now. The recommendation from Alex for starting with a shorter string was a winner!

Thanks for all the advice.

Alex

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 03:39:52 am »
Glad I could help.   :)

BlueNovember

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 04:06:23 pm »
@Ronnie, w.r.t stick orbiting diabolo too many times:
This is almost purely to do with how you catch it. IMO no gennocide can be too fast unless it hits something expensive or ... human.

Catch it nearer the stick you have in your hand.

Catching it right near the end decreases the radius of the circle formed by the orbiting stick, so it rotates faster, and will complete more wraps in a given time, regardless of speed of release.

HTH.