Author Topic: How long does your string last?  (Read 19020 times)

Punkerpanda

How long does your string last?
« on: January 24, 2005, 03:31:10 pm »
i was wondering how long on average your guys's string last, cause right now my selfmade aluminium sticks rip them almost everyday. i use the renegade string  btw since i havent gotten my hands on some henry yellow string. I seriously doubt that once a day is the amount the string should break, and i know it has alot of how much you play and how violent.

also i was wondering how much the henry aluminium sticks weigh, cause mine weigh about 50 grams each(48 and 47 to be excact)

Martijn

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 04:38:25 pm »
My Henry's alu sticks weigh 44g each. The Henry's yellow string lasts 1 - 2 weeks. I practise about 1-2 hours a day.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 05:49:46 pm »
what are the ends of your sticks like? Any sharp edges will snap string in no time, same for burrs. Potentilally if the string is not free to rotate then that can put strain on a string as well.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 08:18:06 pm »
I used to use my own aluminium sticks as well made from 10mm bar with a hole drilled in the tip and out one side similar to the henry's ali.  Any slight burr on the edge or in the "barrel" will cause the string to fray and eventually break with prolonged whipping.  I solved this by cutting of a small piece of tape that I stuck backwards to itself to form a lil tube that I slid inside the hole I made to act as a sleeve.  This worked fine.

I also solved it by changing back to wooden sticks with the same mod on the end so the string comes out of the stick which I find helps when doing 2 diabolos.  Though I could do with a way of making the string rotate freely so that it wouldn't get all tangled (very similar to yoyo string, and we all know how annoying that gets).

Generally my string lasts for about 3-4weeks with frequent use.  When it used to break near the knot, I just retied it till my string got shorter and shorter it was pointless.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Punkerpanda

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 11:11:17 pm »
alright, thanks for the replys
yeah the thing i have now still needs some fine tuning, but so far i think i'm getting very close.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14:15 am »
i've used Henry's white string for a few months now, i've had my string last as little as a week (from a break then it's too short to retie  :evil: ) to up to 3 or 4 weeks. i havent broken a string in a couple months (knock on wood!) but my current string (~2 weeks old) is getting frayed and dirty. i have no idea how i ruin string this fast.

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 07:22:39 am »
well math ... my sting usualy brek in one week.... but can break in of string :)

Leeroy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:11:30 pm »
It depends on how much you're playin'... My string gets worse after two weeks or so. In summer, when I practise outside it lasts shorter (a week or so). My last string I ripped while playing Excalibur (very surprising). That was very loud  :?

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
My string...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 11:30:48 pm »
I often use flair diabolos that have brass axels. I think the brass is bad for string. When I use my non-brass diabolos the string lasts longer.

Maybe.
Luke

Ifrit

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 09:16:37 am »
My string very rarely last for a week when I’m doing allot of 2 work but it can last allot longer (almost 2 weeks :) ) when I’m mainly doing one.

As a testament to this my current sting is three old pieces tied to make one (kind of a Frankenstein’s monster string), even though it’s still 2 short and it about to snap again.

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 02:05:40 pm »
I have found the worst thing for breaking my string is other people. All some of my friends can do is throw it really high and that seems to break the string more than technical tricks.

Hoop

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 03:36:26 pm »
My wood sticks tear through the string faster than my aluminums.  I guess the wood is rough there.  I have a small diabolo that had little devils on it but they are worn off now.(anyone know what kind this is?  I got it so long ago I can't remember.)  It came with these really thin and long wooden sticks and a funky string.  The string was red and yellow and lasted me about 4 years of on and off play.  The string still hasn't broken, it's just stuck in a tree.    :shock:  :twisted:

Spink

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 12:18:11 pm »
Quote from: RattaY
I have found the worst thing for breaking my string is other people..

I bring a seperate set of sticks out for 'everbody else' because people get the string filth, which ends up in snapage.
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Twilite

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 01:51:31 pm »
Sorry for digging this back up, but it's the best place I can find to ask my question.

Just recently, my string seems to be constantly twisted. You know of you were to hold one stick still and twist the other one, the string gets turned over itself and when you hold both stick close together the two parts of the string wrap around each other? (Does that make any sense?)

My previous string, which wasn't too old started doing it, so I figured it was dead and replaced it. My brand new string is doing exactly the same thing.

The problem is, when I straighten it out, without letting go of the stick or twisting them at all, very soon it is twisted again, and even when its really twisted and two parts of string don't wrap together very much. It's as if my string is getting kinked somehow.
Just wondering if this was common and what may be causing it? It makes my diaboloing feel really rough as the diabolo moves over the twists in the string, and wraps up lots more than before.

I've recently started doing wrapped orbits to speed up, and practicing (rarely) infinite suicides. They are the only new things I'm trying.

Any idea?  :(
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 07:14:54 pm »
Mine goes about every 2-3 weeks if im lucky. On average, I would say it usually lasts 1.5-2 weeks. I practice a lot tho.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

seán_

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 08:15:39 pm »
Twilite,
What kind of sticks are you using? (and string)
if you are using wooden sticks with you have to be aware about whn ceratain tricks put twists in the string, (I   think infinite suicides will) to stop this you have to 'let go' of the sticks to allow the string to unwind.
if you are using henrys metal or carbon this shouldn't be a problem as long as the string is free to rotate. other than that sometimes you get string that comes of the roll flattened theres not a lot you can do about that.

only other thing I can think of is that if you are wrap orbiting a lot and creating a lot of heat that might be flattening the string out, not too sure about that though.

Twilite

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 11:33:49 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I was, at time of asking using wooden sticks, tied with bowlines.

But diaboloing tonight I managed to snap my string for the first time, not just once but three times  :? Preceeded to snap a stick too. Strange.

Oh well, will be ordering alu sticks tomorrow. I've read about the whole destroying axel thing, how serious an issue is this? I'm buying a Circus, and plastic hubs soon enough, but does this need now to be a thing of urgency, or will I get by with some minor damage to my current diabolo?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

seán_

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 11:40:19 pm »
Dints and dents dont seem to matter much but I allways shaved of any sharp bits. I know people who are not bothered by the dints at all and others who dont like tham at all. Just keep your eye on them and take action if you feel it needs it.

Keep an eye on the ends of your new sticks as well and file or shave with a knife (carefull now) any knicks that will damage the string.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 03:35:25 am »
Quote from: Twilite
Oh well, will be ordering alu sticks tomorrow. I've read about the whole destroying axel thing, how serious an issue is this?

well for me, it was pretty serious. i DESTROYED one of my circus' hubs with using alum sticks. the other circus i had, i bought it, went to japanthe next week, and by the time i got back, the hubs were pretty gone too. 'course, all the mini genocides and grinds and stuff probably destroyed it a lot faster than i would've in my beginner days..

if you have non wooden sticks, i'd say the plastic hubs are a necessity. not only do you get past the problem of hub destruction, the plastic hubs look a lot better, grind smoother, make your diabolo a little bit lighter, and probably most importantly, improve string life. the metal hubs seem to never get clean---they are always rubbing off their filth onto your string, and plus they are rough, destroying your string doubletime.

so, invest in hubs and the circus at the same time and you should be safe.

or get a finesse  :roll:

je4d

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 10:23:05 am »
Quote from: Matt_
Quote from: Twilite
Oh well, will be ordering alu sticks tomorrow. I've read about the whole destroying axel thing, how serious an issue is this?

well for me, it was pretty serious. i DESTROYED one of my circus' hubs with using alum sticks. the other circus i had, i bought it, went to japanthe next week, and by the time i got back, the hubs were pretty gone too. 'course, all the mini genocides and grinds and stuff probably destroyed it a lot faster than i would've in my beginner days..

if you have non wooden sticks, i'd say the plastic hubs are a necessity. not only do you get past the problem of hub destruction, the plastic hubs look a lot better, grind smoother, make your diabolo a little bit lighter, and probably most importantly, improve string life. the metal hubs seem to never get clean---they are always rubbing off their filth onto your string, and plus they are rough, destroying your string doubletime.

so, invest in hubs and the circus at the same time and you should be safe.

or get a finesse  :roll:

I wouldn't say they're a necessity for all non-wooden sticks - I'm using henry's carbon sticks atm and they didn't do any damage to my hubs. I would, however, reccomend them for whatever sticks you have, since the alum hubs can easily be damaged by (e.g.) dropping the diabolo on gravel (this didn't destroy my hubs, but made grinds very bumpy).

Getting back to the topic, I've only ever broken one string with henry's carbon sticks, when it wore through at the tip of the stick because i was learning infinite suicides ;)

Despite this, I tend to throw away strings after about a week of heavy practise, because they become too rough and start wrapping up around the axle in (e.g.) infinite suicides

and Matt_: I've yet to try a finesse :/