Author Topic: Starting a diabolo competition  (Read 3196 times)

thewu

Starting a diabolo competition
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:09:04 pm »
Hi guys! :p

I noticed that there is a lack of diabolo-specific competitions in the U.S. (i.e. the japanese FEDC), so I was thinking of planning/starting one sometime soon. Are there any suggestions to get this kind of event started? Like, finding a location, advertising, costs, sponsors, etc.

Thanks!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: Starting a diabolo competition
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 07:33:37 pm »
I think You're right in saying that there needs to be more diabolo specific competitions. I think the way forward is just to spread the word around on the internet and at local juggling clubs. It would need a bit of backing though if you wanted to get some world-class diaboloers entering.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to get some sponsers if you can prove it will be a success.

I reckon location would be the key factor, aswell as time -to get as many participants as possible.
Behind your back is your front.

Dan

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:44:44 pm »
As already said by good old guppy you will definately need sponsors if you want this to be national in the US.  Also Location is really important since the US is a pretty darn big place and its really far to travel from one side to the other.  Possible think of holding two competitions one for east and one for west.  And yes spread the word as much as possible otherwise you will never have the interest needed to make back money (and effectively make a profit) from the costs.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:46:25 pm »
I think there is a lack of Diabolo Specific competitions worldwide, not just in the US. It would be nice to see a few more, and i would be interested to see who would compete, for some diabolo is not about competition and proving you're the best, but creative expression. Still, seems like a good way to express yourself to alot of people, so I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 08:55:13 pm »
Wish there was a worldwide gathering for diaboloists every year or two.  Now that would rock!!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 09:14:29 pm »
for some diabolo is not about competition and proving you're the best, but creative expression.

Yeah there should be a 'Creative Good Trick' competition!

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 09:58:29 pm »
Great idea!! But very hard to judge. How do you measure a completely new, never before seen trick against a very creative combo, mostly made up of older tricks.  Thoughts for the future none the less.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

thewu

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:49:16 pm »
I've been thinking about holding two competitions, but that would be difficult to manage. (unless I held them twice a year?)

Most likely, it would have several divisions where people can enter (1 diabolo, 2 diabolo, cool trick contest, etc). Finding judges would probably be tough.

Also, is it too late to start advertising if I want to hold it this summer? I won't have any time to organize during the fall/winter.

Thanks for all the responses!

[EDIT]
Most likely I'll aim for a location on the west coast unless the vast majority of diabolists are from the east.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 05:07:23 am »
Great idea!! But very hard to judge. How do you measure a completely new, never before seen trick against a very creative combo, mostly made up of older tricks.  Thoughts for the future none the less.

Have a point scoring system and talk to the judges about it first- WJF style
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 09:53:42 am »
What you could do is stick different levels of competition (beginner, intermediate etc) to encourage some more people to enter, people probably aren't going to bother if they are going to get a ass-whooping!

One of these should happen in England me thinks...

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 03:27:52 pm »
If someone can remember specifically, or find the topic, there was a big ol' discussion about a diabolo Trick Ladder competition that was held with the national yo-yo competition in Florida(?).  I think it went down quite well although there was much criticism of the trick ladder being too easy and too restrictive (but that's how yo-yo comps go).

I think piggy-backing on the yo-yo comp was the best idea as there's alot of cross-over and it can utilise the audience and location without having to start from the ground up.  If you plan it and advertise it well, people will come.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

thewu

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 02:29:07 am »
ahh okay. thanks Chiok

Sadly I can't use yoyos that well, nor can I juggle. I'm thinking of just starting a variety show with diabolo as a focus, or host a diabolo festival that contains the competition.

Either way, how many people on the U.S. west coast (or anywhere) may be willing to attend if I host it in Portland, Oregon this summer?