Author Topic: YoHo diabolos...defeating the object?  (Read 9072 times)

MattF

YoHo diabolos...defeating the object?
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:00:42 pm »
About a year ago, before i bought my first Mr Babache Harlequin, i considered buying one of those YoHo diabolos. Apparently they use some sort of ratchet mechanism to keep the diabolo spinning longer.

Has anybody had any experience with these diabolos? I hear they can be fairly noisy also.

Matt

seán_

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:04:54 pm »
I have used one, it wasn't very noisy. spinabolo ones are supposed to be noisier (and some people say they are the best)

You cant do some moves with them, such as string climbs (there goes my best trick ;)  )

I can think of plenty of tricks where bearing axles would be a godsend. I cant wait for the finnesse axles to be released.

Seán_

MattF

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:08:48 pm »
Oh right so it probably isn't as bad a diabolo as i anticipated.

So are the finesse diabolos getting bearings as well?

Matt

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 10:32:18 pm »
hi Matt.  Apparently there will be a version of the finesse with bearings, but as an addition to the range, not as a replacement.  I've had a quick play with the yoho ones.  They're quite a good laugh for tricks where a diabolo would normally lose spin too quickly, but I prefer a standard diabolo.

seán_

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 10:37:41 pm »
there is a link from the yoho site (see links) to a uk distributer. (its an individual not a shop as far as I know). occaisionally you see people at conventions who have them. thats probably the best place to get a play with one.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 10:44:33 pm »
Ratcheted diabolos are excellent for playing around with very long fans, endless s-fans, long sprinklers, excalibur moves, or any long sequence of moves that would otherwise kill the speed - fast one diabolo sun sequences come to mind.

I have tried both Yohos and Spinabolos. The spinabolos are much noisier but word is that they spin longer and seem to be constructed better. I've had trouble with the yohos loosening themselves if you whip them too quickly. The spinabolos also have a groove on the axle (similar to most normal diabolos) which keeps the string from rubbing on the sides of the axle, the yohos don't.

I would have bought a set of spinabolos a long time ago if it wasn't for Babache's continual promises to release the finesse ratched axle in the next couple months for the last 2 years.

Yoho also makes regular diabolos which are excellent and very cheap diabolos. You have to order them from Australia directly. Most of the Japanese use regular Yohos - or rather a Yoho repackaged under a different name.

Sean

Martin

Yoho diabolos
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 12:00:16 pm »
I bought one of these before I started learning two as i heard they were really good, as said, they are quite good at unscrewing them selves, reagrdless of how tight they are done up.  theya re good for longer tricks and you can nitice the diffrence, its quite cool being able to hear the rachit working when they going "backwards"

i had the choise of buying one more so i had two or getting henries, it was only my mates insistance that henries were better that i changed my mind.  and all the wrap trips would not be possible ....

but hey its all about prefrence

martin
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong

seán_

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 04:56:49 pm »
If I recall corectly the problem of yohos coming apart can be sloved usin loctite or a simmilar product.

Seán_

David LH

Diaboloshop.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 11:42:37 pm »
hey guys just want to say that this forum is a brilliant idea,
it gives everyone a chance to interact and learn away from conventions.

I am the guy from www.diaboloshop.co.uk (as you may have worked out :) We know have the full set of YoHo Diabolos, as well as some wicked hand made poi.

I myself use Henrys Circus for shows etc, but i always use my Superspins for learning new tricks. They are most definatley worth having if you want to learn long combos with one.

The drawback, as mentioned, of course is no climbs. You can however speed wrap and vortex with them fine.

Final point which has gone unmentioned is the great fun to be had with turning the Superspin into a ball. There is a extra piece which allows you to invert the cups and make a ball. This is good as it helps to keep the cups in perfect shape, also it can be used to juggle, do contact with etc.

Just wondering is anyone on here someone who has bought from us? How have you found the diabolos.

David LH

seán_

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 12:09:33 am »
Hi David,

Welcome aboard and congratulations at having the first, comercial type post ;)

I was trying to find you at Derby BJC this year but you proved to be  elusive.
I had a go of one of the superspins then and it seemed quite nice. (the price has gone down I noticed too.) However I would really need to try two to be sure.

If you like I would be willing to try some and pass them around the two Leeds clubs where there are about 5 or 6 people at the 2 diabolo level . Then we could  post our thoughts to the forum.

You mention that they are fine for speed wrap and vortex type stuff which is good to hear, the percieved wisdom is that they might not be. Are wrap starts  easy enogh?

One of the reasons given for the ball mod was to protect the inner workings.

I have only seen a few people using superspins on the uk jugling convention scene. Some of them got them shipped over from Australia before you got up and running I believe.

Seán_

Martin

Superspin
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 07:14:04 pm »
Hi mate,

I do actually have one but its at home  :oops: !!

Ill bring it up next term i reckon ... so if anyone else can bring one then we have 2!!!
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong

David LH

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 07:40:03 pm »
I am a bit elusive, too much time in the beer tent.

As far as i can think they are fine for wrap starts, i will try it tomorrow then get back to you.

I may be visiting family up in leeds before christmas so i could come and pop in to your clubs. It is always nice to see fellow diaboloists, plus i can bring some superspins for you to look at.

The price has gone down a bit, reflecting the reduction in supply price. YoHo have put all their website prices down. We can ship to Europe as well know, am just dealing with our first outside UK order. Anyone who lives in America then you can get superspins from Higgins Brothers.

David
So thats how you do three diabolos!