Author Topic: Matt Hall & Chris Garcia - Excalibur Evolution  (Read 11038 times)

Matt_

• Donator
Matt Hall & Chris Garcia - Excalibur Evolution
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:47:44 am »
Matt & Chris who? Silver Creek what?

This video was filmed at the beginning of this year or the end of last year, I can't even remember anymore. I recently got motivated, though, and here's the finished product. It's a 14 minute pseudo-documentary about two jugglers feeding off each other's energy for an afternoon.

WATCH WITHOUT DISTRACTION.

direct download: http://hushy.flaretech.net/juggle/excalevo.avi (166mb)
Google Video:
Youtube: coming soon

Let me know what you think, and please mirror this video if you can.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
Re: Matt Hall & Chris Garcia - Excalibur Evolution
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 09:03:47 am »
Ok, I gotta admit that there was some sweet tricks. I very much liked the duicide pass to genocide and duicide by Mr. Hall, props to you for those  ;D. But as a video, It was kinda a pain to watch, all the material of the failed tricks was just too much. The video is quite long I think, over 14 minutes, and consisted mainly of drops and about 10 landed tricks. But still you got some skills when it comes to excalibur (Though I've landed most of those tricks myself  ;). Not included those two I mentioned)

Keep on evolving.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:53:09 am »
I liked the format - shows the process right through from the concept "I have this mad idea" stage to the feeling of nailing it for real (and why people get so elated when they do nail something for the first time).  I didn't like the round framing (what the hell were you shooting through Matt?).

Those duicide passes look real nice - don't think they're gonna appreciate me trying that one in the confined space of my jugging club !!!

Keep pushing those boundaries.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Darragh

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:27:52 am »
cool the way you documented your progress
not just another slick trick video
just shows if you can think of it and walk through it ,you can do
thanks D
From lost to the river

David - SAS1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:38:21 am »
When I a saw the length of the video I was worried about how good it was going to be but then when it got to the duicides my jaw dropped.  I have only experimented with duicides in vertax, must try harder to reach that level.  I wasn't to keen on the strange effects and the circle round the screen.
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

OLOBAID

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:10:23 pm »
grrr, a friend and me, we are training the duicide passes everytime we meet, we have them quite consistant(not 100% solid but its coming) and are planning a video for a long time but you were quicker :P
why did you released it so late, especially a nice trick like that, you say you have the footage since the beginning of the year!
critics:
too many drops, the fisheye view was way overused and when the effects started i was close to switch it off...
respect for the genocide right out of the duicidecatch and the duicide(selfcatched)!

and vertax duicides are so great fun!!!  8)

--- watch Videos on YouTube, visit my Website or mail to hiwatt@gmx.at ---

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »
"It's scary but that might work."
Lol diabolists are all mad ^^

Fun vid , thanks  :)

EDIT : I just finished the video and I recommend you should try the self duicide from a backside , it's looks better ;D
Anyway nice job , your duicide pass looks very consistant  ;)

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:56:16 pm »
That was a really great video documentary thingy!*
I liked the way it showed your gradual progress from an impossible concept to a fairly solid trick.
I quite liked the effects, except when it went slightly crazy in the middle. The music was really good and tied in with the actions perfectly.

Very Impressive! :o

*Diabumentary
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »
i really enjoyed it :-)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Martijn

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 05:52:29 pm »
That was different :) Probably a lot easier on the editing job, huh Matt? :P

Anyway, nice stuff... although the tricks were sloppy, I enjoyed it. And of course, once you guys will solidify the tricks, they won't be that sloppy anymore. Nice to, sort of introduce a new way of juggling video presentation, but I'm not gonna rewatch it. In fact, I already deleted it :-\ and I have to agree, the effects got a bit cheesy near the end. The fisheye was very Matt-style, but I'm sorry to say I didn't see it's purpose.

Sorry for the negative stuff... to be honest it was an enjoyable watch with some good tunes :) Keep going at it Matt.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 06:07:59 pm »
I thought that was amazing. That was a breath of fresh air from the usual diabolo video. I thought it showed what is one of the most fun aspects of diaboloing; being creative with ideas, trying it a million times and then the amazing feeling when you pull it off.

This is one of my favourite videos ever! Contrary to some of the other opinions...

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 06:43:49 pm »
I knew the fisheye would be the death of me...it was me trying to get a wider angle, unfortunately it doesn't fit on that camera, hence the loud hum you hear. I don't really mind the vignette, maybe I watch too many skate videos...there actually is a proper wide angle for the camera I own, I suppose it's time to make a purchase, eh?

OLOBAID: Chris clarified for me, the video was filmed at the end of last year. Yikes, this is some old footage. Glad to know that someone is slower than me though :P

I liked reading all your comments, even the negative ones! Keep them coming. I like to see who "gets it" because that means they are on the same wavelength as me, but I also like to see who didn't get it because that tells me more about my audience and what they're watching for. Every video I make, I learn more. In fact, I just got a good dose of inspiration from reading these comments.

BY THE WAY, did anyone notice the extended credits? My first ever!

Dan

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 06:52:22 pm »
I loved this video.  I like the way you showed your progress throughout until you finally pulled off the trick.  But it was a little long in that sense.  Other than that i loved the creativity.  I think some experimenting should be done with two people and one set of sticks + diabolo for some body excalibur stuff. 

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 07:22:28 pm »
I enjoyed it! To bad I'm the best in San Antonio as far as I'm concerned and I can barely do Vertax suns... ha ha nobody here to give me inspiration. Oh well GREAT VIDEO I LOVED IT
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 07:49:47 pm »
Thanks to your comments, we have a new video! If you liked the catches but thought it dragged on far too long and you just want to see the saucy goodness again, I have the perfect video for you!

Martijn

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 07:50:56 pm »

Ha definitely, I just didn't want to bring it up :P
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Flo

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 07:51:23 pm »
That was the first thing I noticed about the video because even the introducing titles lasted over 20 seconds and the credits were about 1 and a half minutes long.
Nevertheless I really liked it - because it was different and something new. I really enjoyed your concept of showing the development of inventing, trying and finally nailing the trick!
In contrast to most others here (I suppose) I liked the crazy effects because it fit to the music and put some nice atmosphere in the video so it wasnt all the same the whole time.
Thanks for this video, I really liked it but I dont think that it is a video to watch twice (which is not negative at all!)

Flo
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 08:56:10 pm »
I watched it twice already :) My brother who is not interested in diabolo also found it interesting!

+ I kinda liked the circular/fisheye effect, reminded me of skateboarding videos

Really great job with the video. I hope to see many more in the same style.
I even thought it worked well with the drops and the length was good too.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 09:36:30 pm »
what i forgot to say, i really really liked the ''ingame'' commentary during the diaboloing. it really made it more interesting to watch :)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

David - SAS1

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 09:47:36 pm »
After a bit of practise this afternoon, in between the rain, i managed to get a couple of behind the back vertax duicides.  I found them easier as I have not yet managed to catch a normal vertax duicide.  Just thought it might be something to try for people who are finding the "normal" vertax duicide difficult.
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society