Author Topic: why diaboloing is unpopular  (Read 27378 times)

diabolo store

why diaboloing is unpopular
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:04:46 pm »
i think diaboling is unpopular b/c who wants to waste 20 bucks buying a plastic toy that might not even be fun and might be hard to learn. If diabolos were cheaper and there were more shops it would be much more popular. If there was some way to construct diabolos with everyday materials under 5 minutes, I bet diaboling would be amazingly popular ;D

the most views if you search on youtube for diabolo is like 50,000 something

if you type in juggling its like 600k, if you type in freestyle soccer it is like 23 million

juggling is much moer popular because everyone has a tennis ball, and all you have to do is find 3 tennis balls and learn it.

soccer= same reason, everyone has a soccer ball, so everyone can do soccer freestyle.

wat do u think?
http://www.diabolo.ca/not-linked-to
Supplier of chinese yoyos and diabolos-single bell and double bell

thewu

Re: why diaboloing is unpopular
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:09:22 pm »
i think it's unpopular for those reasons - difficulty and unavailability.

everyone can juggle balls because they can just pick up tennis balls and start. clubs, i don't know. maybe juggling iron bars? :)

diabolos aren't really made for juggling predefined items, unless you use a martini glass (which ryo yabe did at one convention...)

anyway, i'm trying to open up a diabolo class at a local community college, and i'm looking for ways to persuade people to take the class/approve it. i'm interested in what the responses in this thread are. :)

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:19:40 pm »
Personally I do not think the issue is that diaboling is unpopular. I think the reason why it is not seen as much as football or ball juggling is because it is allot less known. Everyone has a football because everyone knows what football is. Most people have heard of juggling but not many different forms of juggling. Before I got into diabolo I didn't have a clue what a Devilstick or Poi was. It is definitely popular, especially where I am from, because loads of people have taken it up, once they saw me doing it, and many people have tried it at least.
The reason why it is a more obscure form of juggling though is likely down to the fact that it is less easy to pick up and impress than juggling. Anyone with a 3 ball cascade will impress others but just spinning a diabolo on string itself isn't that impressive without tricks.
I'm sure diabolo has potential to be very popular but the problem is, it just needs to be discovered and better known which I believe is slowly happening at the moment.

Big post for me :)
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Kobe

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:32:15 pm »
I missed something I think. ??? In Belgium diabolo is booming, it is very popular at the moment. Everyone knows diabolo, from little child to grandma. Also on Belgium TV you could watch diabolo performances. There are in every town "circusschools" and in the primary school almost al the children do diabolo. I notice that on workshops I give at open door days and things like that. Maybe it's a local fact...

onewheeldave

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:55:22 pm »
I wouldn't describe diabolo as 'unpopular'.

Over the past few years I reckon its growth has been pretty phenomenal, with lots of very nice nice equipment constantly coming onto the market, an amazing DVD ('Diabology') and, at any juggling convention, diabolo is at least as popular as the other juggling sub-classes (compare number of diabolists to number of devil-stickers, for example).

As for cost of equipment- £20 buys you a top diabolo; don't compare it to cost of juggling by talking about tennis balls, cos most people who mess around with tennis balls to learn with, won't succeed (unless they like chasing balls around every time they drop).

If you're comparing it to football, bear in mind that footbal is heavily promoted by being taught at all schools and having mega-millions pumped into as a sport, being shown on TV etc, etc.

I do workshops, mainly for younger kids, in those diabolo is by far the most popular piece of equipment, cos the basics can be picked up a lot quicker than juggling or devil stick- poi is also easy to get the basics of, but I find most kids find diabolo more impressive-looking than poi.

Dan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:12 pm »
I think with diabolo specifically - how popular it is depends on your location.  Say for instance taiwan or belgium as Kobe said, there are many circus schools and it is taught as kids grow up.  I'm not too sure about other countries but here in england it is pretty hard to find a school which teaches any form of circus skills.  And so children in england aren't commonly brought up with diabolo around them.  Football on the other hand would be hard to find a single school throughtout the country that does not teach it for PE.  Personally i like diabolo being less popular than other things because it means i can impress people easily  ;) and it also means i have a unique skill which can carry throughout my life knowing not many other people around me can do what i do.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 08:57:16 pm »
i wish that there were juggling lessons taught in schools in england!!! not only because i am not great at sport and i would be the top in my school but also because i think that juggling is less competative and it would be better for thepeople that arent into running or other physical excersises. also it helps with coordination. somone should really talk to the government and get juggling into schools!

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 10:38:37 pm »
To be honest, i don't think diabolo is unpopular, as such. It may not have the numbers support of balls, clubs and rings, but from what i've seen at conventions in the UK i wouldnt say its unpopular. I also think that diabolo as a whole may have less people attracted to it, but i think there is a higher concentratio of skill if you see what i mean. Because there are less of us, more of us are pretty good, than not, i think we are more committed and dedicated than some other ares of juggling. (not trying to cause any offence to jugglers there, just making observation).
I also think that price of the prop has nothing to do with it. A top end diabolo costs around £20, and thats pretty much where it stops. A cheap diabolo is anywhere from £1.50 to £15, depending on what you think is cheap. A cheap set of 3 juggling ball is about £5 ish. Top end juggling balls can go as high as £30 PER BALL.    A really good juggler could be juggling as many as 10, 11 or 12, thats as much as £360 on balls. (although thats an extreme example) Generally when diabolists get really good they only actually need 1-4 (dont even mention 5d) diabolos + sticks, so thats £90(ish) in total. Seems juggling comes out more expensive.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

seán_

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 10:50:09 pm »
the most views if you search on youtube for diabolo is like 50,000 something
73,907 if you don't mind ;)

@benmorgan this week I'm working in 4 schools, have you made it known to your teachers your thoughts? The UK goverment is aware of the benefit of circus skills and other alternatives to traditional sports and there are schemes around to help finance these.
do some research and put forward reasons why you would like a juggling club/ outside circus workshop involvement. If you tell me what area you are based in I might have the name of somebody who could visit your school.

David - SAS1

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 10:54:40 pm »
Every now and again I go around with a friend of mine and we do circus workshops because some schools have realised that it actually improves hand eye coordination
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

k2pek2

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 01:13:51 am »

everyone can juggle balls because they can just pick up tennis balls and start. clubs, i don't know. maybe juggling iron bars? :)

diabolos aren't really made for juggling predefined items, unless you use a martini glass (which ryo yabe did at one convention...)

anyway, i'm trying to open up a diabolo class at a local community college, and i'm looking for ways to persuade people to take the class/approve it. i'm interested in what the responses in this thread are. :)

i did a margarita glass before. haha, i had to keep on turning with it.

well, i think its not quite "unpopular," it just has yet to be introduced to many people. i can't tell you how many people ask me what i'm doing when i'm in a park and then they say that they'll try to buy one of those online.
-John

kodaxed

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 07:53:12 am »
I honestly dont think its unpopular but I may have one reason why people wouldnt really think of tryin it on for size... The only time I have ever seen the diabolo being done outside of the Jugling WOrkshop i go to in london Is people in covent garden who are awesome... For me it was a like a challenge to learn to be that good but cos most of the the tricks you just cant work out How the hell it was done, I think it Intimidates the average person so it puts them off... Just a Theory

Also Football (soccer to some) is so popular cos It has one thing the Juggling world Lacks.... Investment in advertising, After all when was the last time you saw a T.V advert or a Billboard poster saying about Juggling in general?

M

Scooby

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 03:48:42 pm »
In australia the diabolo isnt called a diabolo

its called a YOHO DIABOLO

and its annoying when people are like "oh look hes doing yoho diabolo"

then i have to explain that my diabolos are from germany and i have to buy my string from the uk- then they think im crazy because i spend that much on these things.

so, everyone knows what a diabolo is in australia, but not many people learn because were all too lazy and cant be bothered trying.

------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 11:24:45 pm »
I think alot of people will recognise a diabolo if they see one, not necessarily by name.  I think in the UK, diaboloists are greater in number than ring jugglers (depending on how one classifies themselves, which is a more difficult discussion).  Diabolo is quite big in the UK juggling scene I think, but for the general public will always recognise ball juggling much more.

As for diabolo in schools, the UK government at the moment is quite keen on the idea of alternative activities for primary school children to the "traditional" PE classes.  Plus schools will pay alot of money if you can provide a workshop for their school a couple of times a year with your own equipment.  Depending on how you feel about taking money from the education budget that is...

Chiok
(pfft, 12 silicones is easy, they practically juggle themselves)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Napo

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 11:36:48 am »
Here in Greece, diabolo is rare :'(.In Athens, there are only about two shops with diabolos. Other types of juggling are well-known, but there are not juggling clubs, so we are obliged to play diabolo at our houses (and we don't have gardens) >:(

Sorry for my English, i am from Greece...

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 03:35:53 pm »
I´ve been trying to spread it to the kids on my street unsuccessfully. I think it takes more attention, perseverance and concentration than most people have to become good at it. In football, you just need to know how to move your feet :P.

Shinta

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:47 pm »
Diabolo is something most people don't admire much in the "world of juggling". The main problem is exactly this:

everyone can juggle balls because they can just pick up tennis balls and start.
While some people may find it easy to learn the tricks it is indeed very difficult to start with, and most people quit before they can learn any real tricks like suicides or vertax stuff.

Unavailability: thats the real problem, allot of people don't really think its worth it wasting 20-25 euros(thats the currency we have over here) in a plastic(rubber?) toy with a metal axle between two cups and a pair of drumsticks with a string attached to them. People who have a good financial situation can easily get them, but what about other people?
Diabolo is unpopular in most regions of the world, thats true, but that does not keep people from doing it or encouraging other people to do it. Thats how i first started, i got encouraged by a good friend of mine.

I think its rather easy to learn a few diabolo tricks, but thats just me. Allot of people who first try it don't have the patience to learn harder stuff...

Showing good tricks to people who don't know how to do and (eventually) teaching them more can help diabolo become more popular.
Also, most lazy people only want to know how to give the diabolo spin and do basic stuff like trapezes(stopovers) and such :P.
IMO: diabolo'ing is unpopular, help it become famous :)

jaigoda

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 06:25:19 pm »
Another problem is, almost anyone of any age can juggle. But you don't see too many 50-year-old diaboloists, now do you? Diaboloing takes a lot more energy than most (not all) other juggling stuff. This means it is limited to a smaller age group than some other skill toys (I'd say ages 8 to 30, while basic juggling is probably about 8 to 55-60).

And like Thewu and Shinta said, it's just too expensive for many families. 20-40 bucks is a lot to spend on something for entertainment. Also, if you get a cheaper diabolo to "try out," then you have a high chance of getting out of it if you don't get a better one. I probably wouldn't be diaboloing anymore if I kept using my beach and not gotten a finnesse.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 07:06:34 pm »
I don't think the age thing is an issue. Some of the members of this forum are over 30 and still really active. I couldn't tell you myself but I bet running five clubs for any length of time is tiring and it's the same with balls and rings.
Behind your back is your front.

onewheeldave

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:55 pm »
Another problem is, almost anyone of any age can juggle. But you don't see too many 50-year-old diaboloists, now do you? Diaboloing takes a lot more energy than most (not all) other juggling stuff. This means it is limited to a smaller age group than some other skill toys (I'd say ages 8 to 30, while basic juggling is probably about 8 to 55-60).

My experience is the opposite- I find diabolo to be considerably less strenuous than juggling.

Currently my main areas of practice are 5 ball juggling, meteors/poi and 2 diabolos- I find myself putting far more actual time into the two diabolos and I think, in large part it's cos I can do them for hours without breaking a sweat.

Having said that, i think that single diabolo tends to be more physical, cos it involves more body movement.