Author Topic: why diaboloing is unpopular  (Read 27375 times)

Marco

Re: why diaboloing is unpopular
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2007, 03:06:22 pm »
who wants to waste 20 bucks buying a plastic toy

In here, it is unpopular because people really call it a "toy", which it is not.

robbie322

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2007, 03:16:33 pm »
i wouldnt use the word unpopular, it's more undiscovered. in my town, me and some friends started a diabolo craze, everyone at our school was doing it. so people just need to discover the diabolo then they'll know how much the love it. also the equipment is pretty damn expensive.
Making the possible totally impossible

Conor

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2007, 05:56:39 pm »
i wouldnt say diabolo is unpopular at all. where i live, granted since me and garner started doing it in school, if you go out at all there is generally at least one kid with a diabolo. i've been shouted at coz my friend saw about 20 diabolists and decided it was my fault the town was "infected". so i think when people see diabolo done to a reasonable standard it becomes popular its just because most people have never seen more than a high throw done on a diabolo.

availability is deffinately an issue though.

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 10:29:37 pm »
infected!
 nice to see your friends have a pleasant outlook conor.
i'd say diabolo is only popular round my way because kids are stricken senseless by my stylish witt and my alpha male-ness

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 10:40:32 pm »
infected!
my alpha male-ness

And i think its fair to say we all saw way too much of that ar Crawley...
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

pippy

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 11:47:02 pm »
To be honest, I agree with most people on here that 'unpopular' is the wrong word.  Under valued is a better term in my opinion.  Firstly if I am ever seen with one, people instantly recognise it as either a diabolo, one of dem spinny tings or a circus thing.  Also most people that look at what I'm doing say "wow i had one of them, i used to be alright... can you do a 'insert simple trick' " or they say they had a go and gave up. 
Really it is laziness and just a general lack of interest.  Sports like football are only popular because you go to the park and someone has a ball, lots of people can play and you don't all need skill.  To keep it as an interest, you just follow a team and watch matches on TV.  Nice and easy, whilst diabolo you need to look on the net, buy books or dvds, go to conventions and get off your arse to actually practise to keep a keen interest.
As far availability, there are loads of dodgey shops that sell 6 quid ones with wooden sticks and ****ty string.  If that's too expensive, you must be a modern day scrooge.
Code: [Select]
I don't know if I actually want diabolo to become more popular.I agree with that too, I like being good a something unlike most people I know.  Only thing I would like is one or two more people that are somewhat competant so I can learn tricks and practise with them.
Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol.

Martin_

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2007, 01:02:30 am »
The whole cost issue I find is deliciously ironic. People seem happy to part with hundreds on high def TV's, Ipods, mobiles and clothes. But when the thought of spending 20 pound on a "plasic toy" is introduced, suddenly this is ludicrous. Call my cynical or cynicle (I cunnut speel) but its just seems to be more evidence of just how lazy people are these days.

Again I wish the appreciation for the more advanced tricks was present. I'm pretty sure the person asking me to throw it high could throw it just as high as me if he could keep it spinning at all. I can't see the logical jump between diabolo and having the ability to a. defy gravity or b. turn into some muscled monstosity who breaks the string he throws it so high, but has time to restring it before it returns to earth.

Finally I do kind of like the unpopularity not that its loathed in any way but just not that everyone and his cat can do 4d colums and no handed infinite suicides. Everyone likes to feel a lil special and unique and its a nice way of forfilling that selfish little hole in peoples ego's  ;D.

Although I would be thoroughly pleased if diabolo and all juggling was more appreciated for its technical difficulties.

Beni

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2007, 09:05:30 pm »
I'd say it's pretty 'nerdy'.
For someone to become obsessed with a little children's toy and join a forum about it and think up theories like 3rd base and 9th element — that takes a special kind of person. For someone who has never had the sort of rush that allows jugglers and indeed all circus skills enthusiasts to get so advanced, it seems like a silly thing to spend hours and money on. I am way too embarrassed to perform to a non-diabolo audience, because I think it's really not that great to watch if you've never tried it, and they may view what little talent I have as something like a disease. I am ashamed to even do it around people I know, for fear off being thought of as a show off demonstrating their useless skills with a sad little plastic toy.
Juggling is probably more popular because it is as simple as keeping a lot of stuff in the air at once in an impressive way. People can relate to how hard it is and be easily wowed by it, whereas a diabolo is a comparitavely complex piece of equipment, leading people to believe that the trick is in the prop.

Beni

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:25 am »
Deep?

Join a circus, you end up loving performing and showing off and generally being a goof on stage.
Except Jake ofc.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 06:41:04 pm »
i totally agree that it's nerdy. when people see me on  forum for it, they think its quaint, silly, and nerdy.

but I think people are very impressed when you show them tricks, especially after you let them try it, which they will invariably ask if there aren't a lot of people (it's incredible to me how rude people can be when it comes to this, though I guess the fact that it looks kind of like a toy makes it seem trivial to them at first glance, making them more willing to interrupt). I think if you're confident about it, people will be impressed. i know in high school people definitely thought it was nerdyish, but they also definitely thought it was really cool.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

sasha

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2007, 03:21:30 pm »
i dont know anyone who does diabolo in stockholm. theres only one store (a great juggling store), but htey say that they sell a lot of diabolos to 8-11 years old, and thats great but kids that age arent always commited. im gonna talk to my principal about buying some diabolos for gym class. when i learned diabolo i was like 10-11 and the balance was there in ten minutes, and i could barely ride a bike. just spinning, accelerating, suns, trapezes and orbits are really easy. i think if you really want diabolo to be well-known you have to "sell out" and swallow your pride. maybe you have to do some terrible and embarassing gigs but if 20 people pick up diabolo cause of you, then its worth it.
and you also dont have to be really good to teach others. as long as you know more and know it better you can teach others, when they get to your level you can learn from each others aswell

Luc

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2007, 09:07:02 pm »
I think it's getting less and less unknown and more and more popular in the UK at the moment. I heard there were a load of kids diaboloing on Blue Peter (long standing, high viewership children's variety show on the BBC) the other day.

This should go to their page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/

There's an item on Diabolo. It's aimed at young beginners but It's nice to see the word is getting out.
monkey see... monkey do.

robbie322

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 10:03:23 pm »
I'd say it's pretty 'nerdy'.

Personally, i dont think it's nerdy, but that's because i have taught almost everyone of my friends to either juggle or do diabolo, so now we are the majority rather than the minority. anyway, there's still way more nerdy things so we'll never look bad in comparison to, for example,  World of Warcraft or Warhammer. (no offence intended to anyone affiliated with these hobbies)
Making the possible totally impossible

JJesse

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2008, 05:34:33 pm »
Some of my friends say that diabolo is "last season" or "kids' game". And that annoys me a lot but I gotta live with it. Diaboloing is so hard to begin that you must have patience and good coordination. Small kids may not have kinda skills. Lack of patience, the diaboloer's worst nightmare ;)

Midoryu

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 05:04:39 am »
I totally agree with robbie322, in that diabolo is "the coolest thing ever" in comparison to Warhammer and WoW (and, I totally agree as well that I'm not trying to insult anybody affiliated with these activities), and that it's way more healthier because you actually get more muscular excersize than in Warhammer or WoW.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

DaviD Brackpool

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2008, 03:24:28 pm »
if we look at this a differant way its just people following the majority, say diabolo and football switched places people whould see football as being nerdy because your just running abut whith a ball but theyed see all the great things about diabolo so i think that its not as popular because of peoples need to impress their friends by doing the same things that there friends like.

(i dont think its unpopular its just took off with all the new tricks and equipment and is  the most popular it has ever been)
by the time you've finished reading this you've wasted roughly 8 seconds of your life.

Tomko401

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »
I'd say that it is nerdy.
That's why people wont try it.

And also because they think that you have absolutley no life at all, and they wont want to become like you
TOMKO

DiaboloBRODiggy

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2008, 10:30:34 pm »
I'd say that it is nerdy.

they think that you have absolutley no life at all
Agreed, but some people are probably jealous as well, until you start talking to your friends who don't diabolo or not as much about every trick and every bruise (Al), in which case they being to take out the "loser" excuse.
Marine Sniper:
Run all you want, you will just die tired.

Beni

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:21 pm »
We do have absolutely no life at all.
Otherwise how would we end up here?

Beni

DaviD Brackpool

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 07:53:49 pm »
We do have absolutely no life at all.
Otherwise how would we end up here?

Beni

:D nice howed you find that??
by the time you've finished reading this you've wasted roughly 8 seconds of your life.