Author Topic: why diaboloing is unpopular  (Read 27386 times)

Nahxela

Re: why diaboloing is unpopular
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 12:36:58 am »
I think with diabolo specifically - how popular it is depends on your location.
I completely agree with this statement, where I live, diaboloing is relatively not very well known besides people who just happen across a performer or people who've travelled abroad where diaboloing is quite common.
everyone can juggle balls because they can just pick up tennis balls and start. clubs, i don't know. maybe juggling iron bars? :)
As thewu points out, the most common form of juggling (balls/clubs/rings) is much more convenient to pickup, since balls are easy to find at a park, rings can just be frisbees with a hole in the middle, and clubs can be substituted with those fake plastic bowling pins that are for little kids to play with.

I wonder if someone's going to say: "I blame TV and Video Games," xD
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Wayne

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 01:47:32 pm »
In my opinion, diaboloing is unpopular because seldom ppl have seen it before. I'm living in Malaysia. Most of the ppl here dont really know what is that. So, i'm trying my best to teach them although i cant play as good as everyone here. Now the problem that i'm facing now is that hard to find a diabolo. Is there any online stock to buy diabolo? Anyone can tell me which type of string should i use?

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 05:16:35 pm »
Here in Greece, diabolo is rare :'(.In Athens, there are only about two shops with diabolos. Other types of juggling are well-known, but there are not juggling clubs, so we are obliged to play diabolo at our houses (and we don't have gardens) >:(
I live in Virginia, and ive only seen 3 other people with diablos, 2 of them are way below my level, and 1 is way above my level.
We used to have one store nearby that had them, then it got turned into a baby toy store, and now the only way to get them around us that i know of is to order them  :-\. Also, i've tried to teach people, but its hard to teach people balance. You need a high level of concentration, and its hard to tell them how to balance it other then "Keep its center pointing at you" , "When it leans forward, lean forward, when it leans back, lean back." and "Hard powerful, sometimes choppy strokes." :-\. I think people give up too quickly trying to learn balance and tricks, cause if you dont get the balance quickly, so that it simply comes to you, it'll be hard to get it at all naturally.

Napo

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 10:24:55 am »
I am from Greece, but i have heard that in Germany, in many restaurants etc after drinking or eating, people approach you and play diabolo. I have tried to influence people to play diabolo, relatives and friends, none of them was really interested. Many of them dont have the patience to learn it or find it very difficult. But it is not their fault. Juggling schools, here in Greece don't even exist. I personally have learnt to play diabolo from videos in you tube and some sites...

If anyone in this site is from Greece, or speak Greek, send me a personal message :)
Sorry for my English, i am from Greece...

Dojka

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »
I think Diabolo is unpopular because inventors still invent new things and that things are more popular than Diabolo. => now Diabolo is ''underground'' - I don't think so and i like Diabolo

Rob_

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
i think diaboling is unpopular b/c who wants to waste 20 bucks buying a plastic toy that might not even be fun and might be hard

well at my local juggling shop:  Jugglers, 4 Goosegate, Hockley, Nottingham, UK

they sell beginners diabolo's for £6 and thats what i bought, and its how i got into the sport. And before you say theyre crap, i cant actually fault it apart from i would prefer a bigger one, the cups on the beginners one are 100mm (i thnk)

i've threown away the box now, but it was made by Henry's  and comes with Sticks  and actual string =|   the guy in the shop said the string was crap and gave me some Henry's yellow =D  (SCORE!  ;D)

my friends have seen me doing diabolo and now all want to start up, =D

Diablojay

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 05:46:26 am »
I actually like the fact that it is not as popular as other sports, thats part of the magical attraction for me. It is a great way to take your mind of of any problems you may have in your daily life. It takes maximum concentration, time and effort. Even me someone who has all the time in the world , still finds it difficult even to master some of the easier tricks, I can't get my tiny pea brain around how to do suns but can do orbit acceleration!

Keep diabolo unique and keep amazing others who watch!  ;)
2d ability aquired on Friday 16th November '07

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 04:41:54 am »
o.o you cant do suns?
I dont even know what orbit acceleration is XD

Diablojay

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 05:49:28 am »
OK. i sit corrected. It's not Orbit it is Loop acceleration!
2d ability aquired on Friday 16th November '07

Jay.w

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:33 am »
i think its mainly word of mouth i mean today there was a gig in a skate park and loads of people who were curious about diabolo where alowed to use one and i think this is a great way to get people into diabolo. I have only been doing it for about 4 weeks and today i lerned many new things i remeber some guy learned a whip catch and it was his first day doing diabolo i was amazed hopefully when i get the right equipment i can do the same.

also i think that football(soccer) is realy big because its simple "get a ball and kick it" obviously diabolo is allot more complex and isnt avalible to as many people as football is.

J.W.

willum89

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 07:14:19 pm »
I don't know if I actually want diabolo to become more popular. Sure, it would help making equipment easier to get but then I would have to actually try harder. The way it is right now it's cool and unique and even with just a few tricks you can impress everyone cause most people can't even get one to spin. If it were to become more popular and more people pick it up I'd have a lot harder time finding opportunities to perform. Sure, I may be being selfish, but I honestly don't think diabolo will ever be all that popular where I live. People here are already too busy doing this and that to spend time practicing diabolo. Even the students I'm teaching at the Chinese school aren't that interested, there's a few that are just there because their parents are making them go.

Everyone would love to be able to do all the fancy looking tricks, very few have the patience to learn how to even get the yo yo spinning long enough to do a trick.

Here's what usually happens when I let people try:
Them: "Hey look, it's all wobbly but it's turning. TEACH ME A TRICK NOW!!" *diabolo falls because it's lost its spin from a rolling start*
Me: "Umm......yeah......"
Them: "Augh! I give up, do some more tricks!"

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 07:53:43 pm »
I don't know if I actually want diabolo to become more popular.

Exactly my thoughts! It known enough to be recognised by a proportion of people who will see you performing, but still manages to retain its uniquity (is that a word?).
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Martijn

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 08:01:14 pm »
I don't think it'll ever go mainstream. It's simply too difficult for most people. Compare it to other skills and subcultures

A bit more understanding for our art would be good though, but then again, it's part of the subculture that others don't always... get it.

Lily

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:17 pm »
I don't know if I actually want diabolo to become more popular. Sure, it would help making equipment easier to get but then I would have to actually try harder. The way it is right now it's cool and unique and even with just a few tricks you can impress everyone cause most people can't even get one to spin. If it were to become more popular and more people pick it up I'd have a lot harder time finding opportunities to perform. Sure, I may be being selfish, but I honestly don't think diabolo will ever be all that popular where I live. People here are already too busy doing this and that to spend time practicing diabolo. Even the students I'm teaching at the Chinese school aren't that interested, there's a few that are just there because their parents are making them go.

Everyone would love to be able to do all the fancy looking tricks, very few have the patience to learn how to even get the yo yo spinning long enough to do a trick.

Here's what usually happens when I let people try:
Them: "Hey look, it's all wobbly but it's turning. TEACH ME A TRICK NOW!!" *diabolo falls because it's lost its spin from a rolling start*
Me: "Umm......yeah......"
Them: "Augh! I give up, do some more tricks!"
QFT...  Now that the topic is up again, i can comment easier :P
There's no need( and i don't really want) for making diabolo more popular... Have you ever thought the strict limits of tricks' variations, speaking  in an analogy with the ppl that would play diabolo, if it was popular? Surely the diabolo would have come to an end of its evolution, as for the tricks, at this time. Better few ppl trying to exceed the limits than many!(imao that's the fun!)
Diabolo in Athens is like the sea turtles: you can't say they are extinct, as there are a few left..

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:48 pm »
diabolo has no limits.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Lily

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 08:55:38 pm »
in an analogy with the ppl that would play diabolo, if it was popular
This means that if 400 millions+ were doing diabolo, the tricks would have been exhausted by now. Surely many tricks would have been attempted, but with much ppl focus on diabolo, soon enough there will be an end at new tricks.
It has limits, as with every thing that's being used by men. There's no kind of "infitive" for things used by us(mankind). Universe is theoritically limitless, as with time and some other things...
Diabolo in Athens is like the sea turtles: you can't say they are extinct, as there are a few left..

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 04:46:40 am »
I don't think it has limits at all. and I think that even if it was popular, tony would still be the best. even though there might be more like him, I think the amount of people who really committed like that wouldn't grow that much compared to how much lower levels of skill would grow. And I don't think its about cost. its about culture. if it was part of a culture, it would be popular. football isn't popular because its accessible; it is hugely expensive, takes a long time to set up for, and takes a very long time to become interesting (in terms of skill). I think it would be sweet to have more people doing it. Sure, crazy videos would be more common, but again I don't think they would be that common, and I think it would push everyone a lot harder. And again, there are no limits.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Matt D

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 05:21:30 am »
definetaly no limits to diabolo, Tony can do 5 high now, Trespace can do a 2d vertax shuffle, 10 years ago people thought that it would be too hard but now I don't think it is long before other people start doing it too.

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 01:06:46 pm »
Well, i definitely want to get my friends into it.
The only way to teach someone is to keep bugging them not to give up, when they keep messing up.
Seriously, one time i let my friend borrow my diabolo, i wouldnt let him give it back to me till he showed me he could do some tricks =P, and then he got interested enough to buy one for himself.

Midoryu

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:38 am »
I'm a Torontonian, and in my school, almost NOBODY knows about diabolos.  So, I'm the only guy in the school who can juggle.  Anyways, I tend to take metal pot pans and juggling with those.  Like the guy before me, I had to turn with the pot.  I tried a charge to make it spin faster, and it didn't rotate as much.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].