Author Topic: why diaboloing is unpopular  (Read 27646 times)

Jonny_

Re: why diaboloing is unpopular
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2008, 03:21:11 pm »
diaboloing is better to watch then anything else

The_Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2008, 09:14:39 pm »
I find this alot at school

I bring my diabolo into school do a few tricks then everyone wants ago but then you say no. Because they will be stupid with it and chuck it up bout 50 feet and miss it and laugh they dont get all the mods ive put on it like lights, axle and all that.

But if you show off with juggling they cant esactly break a tennis ball or a juggling ball !!
Any of you guys have the same problems?

Tris (The_Matrix)

CirqueKid

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2008, 05:01:43 am »
Actually, I wouldn't say the diabolo is nerdy at all, it's really more geeky!  Yes, there actually is a big difference  :P , nerdy is liking books, long division, and computer programming, while geeky is being obsessed with more tactical things like diabolos, movies, or other things requiring more creativity and less "brain power".

I also found a great big turn off being the availability of the things.  In Arizona at least, the closest circus shop is, well... in California.  So, whenever I bring my diabolos to school everyone gets all excited and asks where to buy one, and I always say, "Well, on Jugglingstore.com" and then you can tell they lose interest because their parents would never buy anything as "Child-like" as that over the internet.  Whereas something like football you can look around and find at least ten different sporting goods stores filled with 'em in the immediate area.  :-\
[BBCode] Insert signature here! [/BBCode]

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:52 am »
Last week I went to a scout camp. I brought my diabolo. Almost all the people of my camp where thinking I was stupid to bring a diabolo.

And at the end of the camp EVERYBODY had played with it. Even some people from other groups i taught diabolo. One of these guys was 39 years old and he loved it!

Diabolo is unpopular because you don't see many people do it. And its not something like football like other people have said earlier.

But almost EVERYBODY likes it! If you give them a diabolo and teach them how to trow they will really like to do it. But not most people are willing to invest time in this and look up on the internet to learn tricks, go to a forum, conventions, workshops.

But if you play football you don't need to look up for information you will learn it yourself! But diabolo tricks you do need help. I think thats the major thing. Am I right?

The_Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 03:51:22 pm »
Last week I went to a scout camp. I brought my diabolo. Almost all the people of my camp where thinking I was stupid to bring a diabolo.

And at the end of the camp EVERYBODY had played with it. Even some people from other groups i taught diabolo. One of these guys was 39 years old and he loved it!

Diabolo is unpopular because you don't see many people do it. And its not something like football like other people have said earlier.

But almost EVERYBODY likes it! If you give them a diabolo and teach them how to trow they will really like to do it. But not most people are willing to invest time in this and look up on the internet to learn tricks, go to a forum, conventions, workshops.

But if you play football you don't need to look up for information you will learn it yourself! But diabolo tricks you do need help. I think thats the major thing. Am I right?

Yes! i think you have hit the nail right on the head !!

Midoryu

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 03:52:34 am »
Something pretty interesting happened to me this Tuesday:

I was, yet again, diaboloing outside of my building, when a mother and her two children walked by me.  When they were approaching, I heard one of the little kids say, "...he's AMAZING!!!  He can even do TWO at a time!!!"...Right after, he paused at me, while his mother and his brother (presumably) walked past.  He then insisted that he tried it out.  With obvious results.  But, the funny thing is, he kept saying under his breath: "Just wait a second...I'm gonna get this going..."  Then aloud:  "How do you work this???".  By then I was just laughing inside because of his cuteness, so I said, "I'll show you some other time, ok?"  So then he went off a bit, but still lingered near me, while his mother kept calling him, "Come on!  We have to go!"  So then I thought, hey, why not show him, since he won't be seeing it anytime soon?.  So, I did a little 2d, failed at an attempted sprinkler, then just returned to practicing my high notation with one diabolo.  Here's the fun part:  "WOW!!! You're the BEST!!!  You're so PROFESSIONAL!!!  A WORLD CHAMPION!!!.

I chuckled a lot for that comment when he got out of earshot...Anyways, I don't claim that I'm "World Champion", just so you guys know...I'll leave Ryo Yabe, Pranay, the Sharpes, Busk, etc. for that.  But perhaps, maybe...just one day...I'll be able to do it...
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 10:07:09 am »
Kids already think you are amazing if you are doing a high trow and catch it.. They mostlikely like that more then something like a double genocide :P

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 11:53:41 am »
Don't really know where to post is so I'll post it here.

During Queensday I went busking for a few hours and what was really odd was that like 10 people said that day: ''Wow you are good, I bet you never played videogames!!!''. I was like ''Yeah I never played videogames blablabla''. (I've actually played A LOT of videogames ::)).

It really got me think why so many people relate diabolo skills (at least they thought I was *very* skilled :P) with not playing videogames. Anyone ever noticed the same? Ideas?
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2008, 04:32:54 pm »
Don't really know where to post is so I'll post it here.

During Queensday I went busking for a few hours and what was really odd was that like 10 people said that day: ''Wow you are good, I bet you never played videogames!!!''. I was like ''Yeah I never played videogames blablabla''. (I've actually played A LOT of videogames ).

It really got me think why so many people relate diabolo skills (at least they thought I was *very* skilled ) with not playing videogames. Anyone ever noticed the same? Ideas?

This should probably be in OT but...yeah I noticed the same thing.
I used to be really obsessed with videogames myself (could play like 4-8 hours each day :o) but then I found diabolo and so now I only play VG when I´m too tired to practice or while stretching simultaneously. Kids these days (haha, that sounds so funny to say like an old person) play way too much VG.

It´s just seems like a prioritymatter. Do you want to do something that´s fun for yourself(videogames) or something that´s fun for you AND other people (Diabolo).

Besides, playing videogames is probably considered more of a "waste" of time cause you can´t really use much of what you learn in real life.

The_Matrix

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2008, 04:50:07 pm »
Kids already think you are amazing if you are doing a high trow and catch it.. They mostlikely like that more then something like a double genocide :P
Yes!,
That is what i found people think your amazing if you can go round you leg or high throws etc but us diaoloists know that there are lots of better complicated tricks you can do but something like an elevator would look better to a person who doesn't know anything bout diabolo!!

CirqueKid

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2008, 10:15:36 am »
I think it's just, for some reason, a common stereotype, like athletes and bad grades.  People who play with circus-ey toys are probably imagined as someone who sits at home and does nothing but practice all day long, or someone who (somehow) has either been sheltered by their parents, or has never tried to do things like watch TV or play videogames.

On the "diabolo is better" topic, I think it does build hand eye coordination much better than videogames, because you're using your entire body, and not just your arms bent at a 90 degree angle, only moving your fingertips.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2008, 11:27:25 am »
I think it's just, for some reason, a common stereotype, like athletes and bad grades.  People who play with circus-ey toys are probably imagined as someone who sits at home and does nothing but practice all day long, or someone who (somehow) has either been sheltered by their parents, or has never tried to do things like watch TV or play videogames.

On the "diabolo is better" topic, I think it does build hand eye coordination much better than videogames, because you're using your entire body, and not just your arms bent at a 90 degree angle, only moving your fingertips.

That's a difference in type of motorskill. I think gaming is more fine motor skill and diabolo is more gross motor skill.
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

JimmyCords.

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2008, 11:58:07 am »

Hand eye coordination involves your whole body????

One other thing diaboloing does help is being able to process a situation quickly (i.e. 3d,2d etc.)
Say Whaaaat?

CirqueKid

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2008, 08:20:51 am »
Hand eye coordination involves your whole body? :Huh:

Oops, yeah, I should have read through my post  :-[ , but what I meant was more of an overall motor skills, and more overall coordination.

Adamer15

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2008, 10:15:49 pm »
Well in israel i bet you can find 5 or 6 diaboloists in a school (But they stink)

Usually you have 1 kid whos REALLY addicted and keeps going allways (Me  :D)

But the newbies ( seventh graders ) are like coming in a massive wave to my school and diabolo is becoming more and more popular

Infact diabolo is the most popular juggling tool in our juggling club
Will eat for Diabolo!

logoman04

« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2008, 03:59:35 am »
diaboloing may be somewhat unpopular, but its growth is exponential. we have a "circus arts"  in P.E., and 5 or six people had there own diabolo (including me) compared to the year before 2 people... not even me :o i think diabolo.ca should organize a holiday..... or something where we go out in town, and we diabolo. we show people what it is, get them interested, and hook them up with a site. i.e. jugglinstore.com so they can see for themselves the joy.
The entire world will die in the time of one day the reason being...o_O 3D O_o!!

Adamer15

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:42 pm »
Good idea Logo' but I think its too much wasted efforts because why would people buy it when they stink at it?

I mean maybe a few people would actually get it but I'm pretty sure that most of the crowd wont even be interested after you show them

So its basically bunch of wasted efforts

But i wouldn't mind street preforming  ;D
Will eat for Diabolo!

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2008, 01:14:05 pm »
I still think its unpopular because most people don't take the efford after they learrned doing high trows to look on the internet and learn all the other tricks. They won't invest so much time as we do in getting more information and such..

Jonny_

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2008, 05:52:52 pm »
yoyo is much more popular cause their cheap you can get one in like a christmass cracker

Myke

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »
and because yoyo is easier...
i mean, easier to feel good at.
Thank you, thank you.