Author Topic: Silicone or foam grips? whats the difference  (Read 6232 times)

paul.w92

Silicone or foam grips? whats the difference
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:04:11 pm »
i am going to get Babache Xtreme diabolo handsticks but i dont know which grips to get silicone or foam :-\m could some one please tell me the pros and cons of each? i am learning vertax, i love suicides and i like doing 2d better so which one should i get!? 

Chiok

• Donator
Re: Silicone or foam grips? whats the difference
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:07:32 am »
All about the feel really.  Most handsticks you'll have used will have the foam grip (old MB Performers, Henrys Aluminiums etc have foam) and the silicone is a new thing by MB for a "grippier" handle.  If you use devilsticks, you might appreciate it.

Foam Pros:-
 - You get a certain amount of soft padding on stick releases, but not a huge amount
 - They're normally wider in diameter so might be more comfortable to hold
 - A little bit lighter than silicone

Foam Cons:-
 - Can rub off on your hands leaving black marks
 - Flakes away quite easily after scrapes across the ground
 - Only comes in black (or white if you get the white Henrys Carbon fibre/ Fibreglass)

Silicone Pros:-
 - A thinner, sexier looking stick
 - Comes in lots of colours
 - Good grip, very good grip

Silicone Cons:-
 - Not really much padding, so might be a bit "slappy" although a change in technique will soften this out
 - Can be too grippy sometimes, especially when you first use them and you might find yourself wearing skin away, but this'll become smoother as the grip picks up dirt

You can't really go wrong with either and alot is down to personal preference, I went from foam to silicone grips, but can't say that I wouldn't go back to foam, I'm not really fussed.

HTH
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:07:19 pm »
I would like to add "Flakes away quite easily after scrapes across the ground" to the silicone Cons as well. Other that that, very nice summary Chiok :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

paul.w92

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 05:50:49 pm »
wow very detailed chiok  :) much appercaited! so with that summary i will go for silicone beacuse of the good grip diffrent colours and i dont mind them being slappy as a have been using wooden sticks!

cobby93

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:16 am »
i've got those sticks with the black foam and they do tend to rub . A lot.
 All in all very gd sticks though would recomend them to anyone.
Rspecially gd for suicides and genicides

JimmyCords.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:59:30 am »
Sorry to dig this corpse up, but I was considering buying a pair of Mr Babache xtreme handsticks, and I was wondering whether to go with foam or silicone. What I want to know is:
Do the silicone grips get slippery/hard to hold onto when your hands get sweaty?
Say Whaaaat?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:43:46 pm »
Do the silicone grips get slippery/hard to hold onto when your hands get sweaty?
No, not really. Can't say I've ever had that complaint. Sometimes if your hands get really sweaty you might find yourself wiping them off, but this isn't usually a big deal.

The things that stick out for me with the xtreme foam sticks beyond what's been said are:
1. they are wider and they get wider towards the backend
2. they have a fair bit less swing weight than silicone grips but still much more than carbons. This isn't good or bad, just different. Generally I like lots of swing weight, but if you're used to carbons the silicon grips might seem a bit slow swinging at first.

That was a good post by Chiok that we should sticky somehow.

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:59:23 pm »
A definite con for the silicone handles for me is the fact that the string even grips to it.

And for the visual aspect, I guess silicones are better since the colour is much brighter.

For people using white foam handles, you can clean these btw  ;) I could get them to look almost new using some flameable liquid.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 03:06:39 pm »
A definite con for the silicone handles for me is the fact that the string even grips to it.

I'll second that - the bane of my practice time is going through a long body combo to have it fail because the string got stuck on the silicone.

JimmyCords.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:08:38 pm »
Ok, cheers guys. Thanks for the info.
Say Whaaaat?