Author Topic: BJC 2005  (Read 27686 times)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
BJC 2005
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 10:59:03 pm »
Ok, turns out that Matt is sucky and booked the wrong train. So is anyone going by train and is getting into Perth at 19:17 on wednesday (that's 18:12 from Glasgow)? If so drop me a reply or PM and we'll hook up.

Hit me back, just to chat (or hook up on the train).

Dax

BJC 2005
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 11:29:57 pm »
if i can get some owrk out of the way and build up a touch of money then i'll be well up for going tom. i'll update on my position soon.

seán_

BJC 2005
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 11:17:13 pm »
Well Im in the middle of packing tonight, the earliest I have ever packed for anything so I guess you could say I'm pretty excited :D

Anybody who can make it (or part of it) and hasn't quite decided then all I can say is conventions are great and the British would be a great one for a first one.

The official website is here

Andy

BJC 2005
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 11:22:06 pm »
packing already? when you planning to arrive? Lack of spaces on the megabus meant that me and the people im coming with wont arrive til 7.30pm on thursday or around then. wish i could come earlier....still me and myles have a couple o tricks to show people including an around the arm type (mini) genocide which goes into those infinite speed loop things round the arm - hes managed it twice, me 0 times :(
anyway i shall catch up with you guys soon see ya in scotland, i hope the weather is better than it is here!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
BJC 2005
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 11:31:36 pm »
i had finished packing at about 7pm (4.5 hrs ago) and now i am off to bed for an 8am wake up tomorrow and start my trek (ok, train journey) to Scotland for about half 7 in the eve. See you guys there, should be awesome (Priam is performing, oooooh)

seán_

BJC 2005
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 12:22:57 am »
I'm leaving tomorrow evening as our lift can't get away due to work, so It looks like ariving well after midnight (just in time for the seious juggling).

Great to hear that Priam is going to perform, I'm really going to enjoy that!

Seán

Matt_H

BJC
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 03:41:35 pm »
Yup, i too am looking foreward to the british, as Sean said we will probably get there around the wee-small hours of thursday morning and attempt to put our tents up in the dark with probably rain and wind, oo the fun.

Anyway to all those going, see you there !
and all those who arn't, WHY NOT !!!!!  :wink:

Later

Dr Matt_h

tsmart

BJC 2005
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 04:15:17 pm »
I wont make it until the Friday morning, because I have some Open University to finish, because I was down the Lake District last week and also because I have to pick up my little sister at Edinburgh airport on Thursday night.

Also, I was going to camp but the weather has put me off, so I will just drive in/out each day as I only stay 1/2 hour away by car.

This will be my 1st convention, I'm eager to learn (I have only been practicing very little on my own) I can get a 2d shuffle going then I don't know what to do.  Even just watching people will be a help.

Not long to go now!!

Tel
Tel

'rehab is for quitters'

seán_

BJC 2005
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 04:24:22 pm »
Great choice for a first convention Tel
Bring a tent just in case, you never know how you might feel about it when you are there :).

Hopefully there be some workshops if not I havent come back from a convention without more tricks in the bag.

seán_

BJC High-Low-Goal-Crush-Bane
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 03:40:40 am »
Just got back an hour or so ago, still in a happy state :D.

I really enjoyed the convention, The venue was great, the hall was massive so there was plenty of space and height for everyone.

Plenty of fine diaboloists were there. It was good to see people from the forum that I have met before and some I haven't seen before.

I'll just run through the classic 'High-Low-Goal-Crush-Bane'

High

Priam and Donald Grant on the Saturday night renegade Stage. I had left renegade early and just popped back in to try and find my water bottle when I heard an anouncement about Donald Grant, I ran back out to the main hall to get Matt_H and back to find Donald and Priam performing tricks beside each other sharing one diabolo in a kind of old school v new school face off. Their moves were out of this world with both diaboloists pulling out all the stops, moving from one amazing trick to another and then passing the diabolo between them to see if they could pull out a trick to better the last.
The crowd were loving it and both Priam and Donald seemed to have had just as much fun themselves. Without a doubt one of my best convention moments ever! A great finish to a renegade and as the announcer said never have I seen two better, or drunker diaboloists.

Another high was walking in the parade alongside Jgherkin. John had decided to see if he could Sfan the walk from the convention to Perth town centre. He had to deal with corners, people juggling around him and this girl with long heavy sock poi who managed to hit me around the back of the head and a glancing blow to crotch as well.
Unfortunately Johns arms gave out around the 3 minutes twenty mark but he did use the S fan to great effect during the 2d gladiators, raising the pattern to safety when he was threatened. On being anounced winner he raised the fan to above his head as the crowd gave there all. Pure style.

Low.
Missing people I would have loved to have been there. Other than that everything was peachy.

Goal
Pretty much my goal was to have a good time and I achieved that. Other than that I wanted to get somewhere with three. I didnt do a lot with three but Priams workshop on 3 low and 3 high (which I hadn't even given any real thought to before) was invaluable. I picked up some new moves and some new old moves (thanks Donald) as well. there were plenty of great workshops run by Priam, Ronnie2tone, Steve Washington and Donald Grant. when there wasn't a workshop there was usually 2 or more knots of diaboloists sessioning with plenty of trickswaps and tips.

Crush

That would be telling ;). But on a related note it was great to see so many (relatively) females doing some fine stuff, Veronique was in good form, Cecille (?) from Ireland was showing great style and Gönke (sp?) from germany too.

Bane
Water bottles! I just kept loosing them, but having said that if I hadn't of been looking for one I would have missed Donald and Priams renegade act. Oh, also the weather dont you just hate it when It's that warm that you have trouble sleeping in your tent ? ;)

Thanks to the organisers and helpers, to those who turned up to make the event so special, thanks to those wo helped me with tricks and thanks to Norbi for his great impromptu Pirouette lesson.

Alex

BJC 2005
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 03:46:51 am »
So when can we expect movies?  Did anyone record Priam/Donald's performance?

seán_

BJC 2005
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 03:54:43 am »
thats what we all were trying to find out. Ronnie2tone got some of it before his camera ran out of memory, David LH had no power, Andy had problems too. Andy from Nottingham* got it and says he'll pass it on but it might be a while until he has time to get around to it. I expect Ronnie will be sorting something out sooner.

*thanks to Mini for hooking me up

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
BJC 2005
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 10:59:22 pm »
Very nice Festival!!

Lots and loads of some very nice moves and a great time to boot!

And waking up to a red wine hangover in a sun drenched tent........always special!

Now on to the important stuff. The Donald/Priam intoxicating diabolofest will be posted asap. All the more impressive when you saw the remains of that bottle of malt :o Some classic moments too!
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

el_grimley

BJC 2005
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 11:07:53 pm »
What a superb convention. I have to admit that I did very little diaboling and was mostly club passing.  It was nice to meet some new faces as well as some old.

Good effort on the diabolo routine in the young british juggler btw.

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

seán_

BJC 2005
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 01:33:08 am »
That was Matt Pang*, who some of you might remember from such movies as Video of the week: January 17-23, Matt Pang & Norbi. I really enjoyed that performance. Young Juggler was enoyable, even with the messed up sound, it was interesting to see how they coped with the problems.

Questions have been asked as to why a certain fan liking diaboloist didn't enter. I'm sure next year in Cornwall he'll be there as will Matt and Norbi no doubt.

Priam was on top, great performances and some unreal diaboloing in the main hall, lots of huge siteswaps and great stuff with 3 low. I'm sure Matt_H has a few favourite moments.

Luke and Norbi performed in the public show with a mixture of props, including multiple diabolos. An enjoyable and fast paced act. congratulations to Norbi on the judges choice in Young Jugglers BTW.

I enjoyed the games, there were loads of us in the two diabolo gladiators, the announcer kindly gave us a long time to warm up which was an excellant idea as it gave you a chance to do a few tricks, I did what I think was my best looking anti suicide that seemed to get a good reaction from the crowd. I think Tom won the demeaning nose push ;).

There was some unreal Yo Yo going on, two standouts being the Swiss guy in the public show and the English Guy (GbH) won (I believe) the northern Yo Yo competition with a beautifull routine, in a big shift (to an outsiders eyes) from the expected yo yo act. great costume as well.

the memories come flooding back. (slowly)

* sorry Matt, I'm a bit slow :)

David LH

what a great convention!!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 11:56:37 am »
WOW! the BJC this year was amazing, the juggling space was great and the show! absolubtly loved the Raspyni brothers, as well as the YoYo guy!!!!!!! loved the diabolo nights routine.

Priam vs Donald Grant??? Another WOW! (couldnt possibly decide a winner  :wink:

was so great to have so many diaboloists all together, in my opinion this was the best convention for diabolo i have been to yet.

anyone up for holding Diabolofest2006?  :wink:

Thanks to everyone for such a great time. Hope people enjoyed trying out the Yoho's  :wink:

David LH
So thats how you do three diabolos!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
BJC 2005
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 12:44:48 pm »
Quote from: seán_
That was Andy Pang, who some of you might remember from such movies as Video of the week: January 17-23, Matt Pang & Norbi

Right, well think about this for a second, he was called Matt Pang on the video, and is called Matt Pang in this forum, but for some reason just became Andy Pang? interesting.
Well big-ups to MATT Pang for his rippin diabolo routine, sweet as blind beind the head 180 thing out of round the leg combo, awesome dude.

Great convention to be had by all, for everything, twas wicked!

See ya in Cornwall.

seán_

BJC 2005
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2005, 01:00:17 pm »
Sorry Matt, when in doubt call a diaboloist Andy, Matt or Sean.

Good to see diabolo on the main stage, special mention goes to Priams braces, almost as stunning as his Diabolos.

Sean

• Administrator
BJC 2005
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2005, 03:19:39 pm »
Quote from: seán_
...special mention goes to Priams braces, almost as stunning as his Diabolos.

Care to explain this?

Quote from: David LH
anyone up for holding Diabolofest2006?

Now there's an idea. ;)  Maybe not 2006, but at the rate diabolo is expanding perhaps some day in the future. I can only dream...

barnesy

• Administrator
BJC 2005
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2005, 03:25:18 pm »
'Braces' might translate to 'Suspenders' on your side of the atlantic.   Maybe that makes things clearer?  I'm never sure quite how much more correct Canadians are on these things compared to Americans!  :P