Author Topic: Equipment Guide (v0.5)  (Read 41529 times)

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
Re: Equipment Guide (v0.4)
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 12:36:55 pm »
*bump*

More info on OLOBAID's handsticks, like if any cons have been found etc.

The descriptions of handsticks could be a bit more detailed.

I have a con, they break clean in half due to ''overuse'' within 6 months, when using them once a week.
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Aaron Z

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 05:32:50 am »
Alright, first of all, the lengths and weights of each handstick should be specified, the sundia suns should get a section, Xtreme G3's can bend, the threaded inserts can dislodge and break, and the silicone grip variants of Xtremes and Energys should be given mention, because the silicone grips for xtremes are harder to slip off the stick.

Edit:
Also, the Sundia handsticks and string should be mentioned, taibolo stuff too. Sundia's carbons, especially the marble effect ones looks SO, HAWT.
Take a look at Nev's website, someone has to review them!

Myke

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 06:04:43 pm »
I read that the finesse is considered awesome for beginners because it stays stable at low spinning speeds, but does that mean it's hard to speed up as well?

And except for the article on Finesses, a lot of the other stuff written about is done in a way it's not easy to understand if you know very little about it.

Remember to use the modify button if you have a quick thought to add to a post.
Thank you, thank you.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 06:09:08 pm »
I wouldn't say that means it's good for beginners, it's just a nice property of the diabolo. It's speeds up as easy as other diabolos although it doesn't maintain it aswell as some of the heavier 5-inch diabolo.

I'll hopefully be re-doing and updating this guide in two-weeks time when all of my schoolwork is done, so I'll take that into consideration. :) -If you could be a bit more specific on what wasn't easy to understand I'd appreciate it.

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:05 pm »
Hey Leo Nev told me to rub the tips of Henry's allu's and carbon handsticks with sandpaper so they get more smooth! This prevents string braking alot!

Maybe you could add that under those sticks  :)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 05:54:52 pm »
Right, I'm free of schoolwork now so I'm going to start updating the guide and improving it. If you have any ideas/things you'd like to see post it here. I'll also be providing a PDF version of it to download from my site when it is complete.

So yeah, hit me with your ideas!

cereal

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 02:27:13 pm »
mayby you could add some more diabolo's into it

just mine opinion  ;)

cereal

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Re: Equipment Guide (v0.2)
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 07:59:18 am »
Terrible once you have tried pete's

I bought Those light sticks from Mr.Babache. They give great light! But they are HORRIBLE for suicides. You can onley do slowcides with them nothing else...

Aaron Z

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
The pictures on these might need an updating, they're mostly over-saturated and look terrible, they don't do justice to the actual products at all and actually distort some of the colors completely, which may throw off people who would do better with certain equipment. Eg. Henry's Aluminiums appear to have brown foam grips, rather than black ones.

Actually, a complete overhaul into v0.5 would be suitable, with all the new gear coming out now.
Adding Suns, Sundia Handsticks and Sundia String would be great, along with Taibolo's Handsticks.

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 11:32:41 am »
i thought the equipment guide was about how good products were to use and NOT how good they look, was i wrong?!

mykill

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 09:49:58 pm »
you can also get Taibolos here.... (dunno if its been mentioned)
http://www.diabolo-at.com/
its all in chinese because gong qun is a taiwanese based company.

this is the english intro for those who don't understand chinese.
http://www.diabolo-at.com/new_page_8.htm

the english is REALLY poor. so just email and im sure they will help.

This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 12:53:28 pm »
I'm sorry everyone -it's been too long since I made an update in this thread, hopefully you'll forgive me but I've been away from the computer a lot more than I expected this summer. I've been surfing in Portugal for two weeks and been on various other trips to places and so haven't been able to put a lot into this guide.

Just to reply to the things that were said while I was away:

The pictures aren't great, I know. See this:
*Please note that some of the pictures have come out a bit strange from when they were copied from the original .doc file, but they are still visible. You can tell what they are, so don't be picky! ;)
I would try to get new pictures of everything, but it really is a lot of work for something which, in my eyes won't make a whole lot of difference. Apart from anything else, I only own a tiny amount of the gear mentioned in this guide so I can't just get a camera out and snap away. However, if you still think it'd be a nice thing to update; I would happily change pictures of the gear if you sent me them via pm or email (preferably of an appropriate size and quality.)

As for the links to places that stock certain gear:

It seems a little unfair to include places that stock products and others that don't. In the interest of fairness I think it's only right to leave them out. Searching the forum, or even Google *gasp* will usually find somewhere that stocks them. If this fails (which is unlikely): ASK! We're generally a friendly bunch who will help out.

I think that's it really. I will try and update it but I haven't played with much new gear recently so I might struggle a little. I want this to become a little more of a community project if that is possible so if you have any information, pictures or anything else that could go in the guide I'd appreciate it. Just give me an email or a pm.

Sorry if I seem lazy, but a jobless 17 year old can't afford all this gear and wants time to play with his diabolos for fun rather than just endlessly reviewing stuff.

Peace,

-Leo

Aaron Z

Re: Equipment Guide (v0.5)
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 10:15:49 am »
Thanks for the update. Those Finesse axle kits look NICE. I'd get them if I still cared at all about my Finesses, I'd much rather save up for the new Suns.

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2008, 01:28:14 am »
Thank you Leo. Very useful and informative
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2008, 06:19:00 am »
Very nice Leo. Good to see such a great guide.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2008, 10:53:14 am »
Cheers guys. Just added the prices for Jürgen's kits aswell.

Wannes

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2008, 08:22:53 pm »
Very nice and complete guide !!  :D

Wetterdew

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »
This is great for me since I haven't ever bought any of this stuff before.  Thanks.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2008, 04:52:48 am »
i just got info about receiving tiabolos for x-mas. this thread made me make that choice, thanks

PS. leo, i LOVE metal slug
can't believe its not butter

sadOreo

Can you guys help me?! :D
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:48 am »
I'm looking for a diabolo that spins long and is 5 inches or less, and is less than 40 dollars.
Another question: What is the difference between the 4 inch and 5 inch diabolos? Do they spin longer or easier to do certain tricks.
What are the advantages to having a heavy diabolo or a big or little one. How long do they last? How should i take care of them?