Author Topic: Henrys Axles (teflon, 4erli, finger etc.)  (Read 43682 times)

Rusty

Henrys Axles (teflon, 4erli, finger etc.)
« on: November 12, 2004, 12:01:50 pm »
I am looking at all this different axes for the Henrys Circus Diabolo and wonder whats the difference and if anybody that has tried them could give a review of them.

Henrys own upgrade:

http://www.henrys-online.de/Webshop/enter.html?lang=en-us

Akrobat:

http://www.akrobat.net/shop/

4erlei:

http://www.4erlei.de/index1.html

Hope someone has used these before.

Rusty, Norway

-Fred-

Re: Henrys Axles (teflon, 4erli, finger etc.)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 12:29:05 pm »
Hi.

I have received the henry's kits last week for my diabs (it's a complet spool circus with plastic-made hubs) and it's really better than the original axe. My circus keep there inertia in comparison with the original axe. Now, the grinds are prolonged and it's weight less. It's great and i love it.

--- Fred ---

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 02:38:58 pm »
I have the 4erlei ones.  I like them because they make the axle wider, so the diabolos seem to tangle less, and they stick grind a lot better than a normal Circus would.   For me, the extra width was an important factor, so I wasn't interested in the Henry's axles.  The akrobat ones look good from what I've seen, but I don't know a lot about them.  

This has already been discussed in this thread: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3 - you'll be able to find more opinions there.

seán_

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 05:10:08 pm »
I have tried the akrobat ones, I liked the extra width (which differs from the way finesse can be made wider because its the cones that are swapped).

the set I used had a snapped plastic washer which the owner said didn't  bother him at all.

they were definately better to use than standard henrys.

( I did once stumble upon a third maker/seller of such axles but like the slacker I am failed to save the bookmark. )

If memory serves me right I believe it is possible to buy replacement axles and Henrys halfshells for less than the price of a standard Henrys (if you dont mind building them up yourself).

Seán_

MattF

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 09:01:48 pm »
I have a question. I have 2 Mr Babache Harlequins that i really like due to the way they grind and also the weight of them.

I also have 2 henry's Circus's but i rarely use them because i do not like the way they grind. I also think the axle is too tight and find that it turns the diabolo too easily when you do 2 diabolos.

I do however like the way the henry's circus diabolos are able to bounce.

So what i am after really is a Henry's circus diabolo with an axle which has similar characteristics of that of a Mr Babache Harlequin.

Would either the erlei axle or akrobat axle achieve this?

Matt

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 09:06:39 pm »
I'd say so.  The 4erlei ones do make the Circus more like an old babache in some ways.   I don't do grinds much, but it's good to know I can now do them as I choose!

MattF

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 09:16:46 pm »
Thanks Barnesy, i think i will have to invest in some of those axles in the near future.

Matt

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 05:50:47 am »
I have been talking with Ben from Serious Juggling. He is about to place an order with Henrys and will be ordering some of the new plastic/Teflon Henrys hubs for the Circus diabolos (partly because of my repeated harassment ;) ).

These hubs are the ones made by Henrys themselves. They are the same dimensions as the traditional metal axles. The plastic hubs wear the string less, catch on the string less, grind better, and make the diabolo slightly lighter.

I describe how to find these hubs on the Henrys website in the equipment sticky.

These are the hubs:

I'll be ordering 4 sets. If any of you North American diabolists out there think you may want to get your hands on a set of these, let me know and I will tell Ben how many extras to order. The price is not yet known. It may depend slightly on how many are ordered.

Cheers,
Sean

Yoda

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 06:13:18 pm »
Hey guys!

I have an jester games diabolo (bought a circus but it will arrive here in brazil only in january,),  and the hub had broken, then I made my own with teflon in a "torno" (I don't know how you say it in english :oops: , that machine that holds the material spinning and you use tools to make what you want)

I was wondering if anybody could measure the henry's circus teflon spool, so I could make then here (It's very expendive to buy stuff in germany and have it sent to brazil!), i'd like to know the diameter of the base, the height and the diameter of the top...
Don't think I'm doing this to sell it in here, in fact, I don't know many people who use diabolo's in here...

Thanks guys!

[]s
Lucas Machado

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 01:19:21 am »
Lucas, I think the English word for "torno" must be "lathe". I've often thought about making my own plastic hubs but decided that it probably wasn't worth the hassle for me. For you it might make sense though.

Right now I don't have the tools I would need to take my diabolo apart and measure the hubs. I will try and do this for you when I'm home in late December... although maybe by that time you would just want to wait until you get the diabolo itself.  :roll:

Sean

Yoda

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 02:09:21 am »
Thanks sean, always expanding my vocabulary =]

Don't worry, measure it when you can, no hurry, even when I get my new diabolo I'd like to know the sizes of the teflon hubs (Is it the same as the original ones? only the material is different???), because I read that teflon doesn't wear the string as quick as the aluminium ones, and it's kinda hard for me to buy strings (It's hard to find good strings in brazil, and impossible to find in my city)
I ordered 25m of henry's yellow string, but this must last for the rest of my life  :lol:

Oooo God! I wish I could find everything here in brazil... It would be sooo easier =[

Tks in advance =]

[]s
Lucas Machado

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 07:11:52 am »
Yeah, the teflon hubs made by Henrys are exactly the same size as the metal ones. There are also wider versions made by other people (see above in this thread). If you make them wider you will have to replace the bolt as well. The aluminum hubs are good too. There's no reason you can't survive with them... at least for a while. ;)

Really, there are plently of people who like the metal hubs.

You're probably going to have to wait for your diabolo to arrive anyways before you even think of making the hubs. There's a fair bit of detail in terms of how it fits into the diabolo. I think the only way you'll be able to match this is by having a metal hub there in front of you.

The yellow string will last you for a long time, but unless you give up diaboloing within the next year it probably won't last you for life. :)

I feel your pain though (although I'm sure not as badly). It's hard to get diabolo equipment in Canada too. I have to order from the U.S. or Europe for most things. Shipping and duty taxes aren't cheap... or quick.

Sean

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 10:23:38 am »
I've lasted so far with aluminium hubs  :)  Altho I'm considering getting the teflon hubs...when my monetary position permits  :wink:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 11:11:43 am »
as soon as i can (probably just after Vegas) i am ordering some of the wide teflons. They are where its at. As close to a finesse as possible whilst still being a circus  :wink:  (k, perhaps not, but better anyway)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 03:04:06 pm »
Well, 5 months after my initial request I'm still waiting for my order of teflon hubs to come in. Gosh it's fun living in North America at times.  :?

I've looked at ordering straight from the Henrys factory but they charge about $45 (CAD) to ship any order to Canada. I'm almost at the point of giving in to that.

Does anyone know of an online shop that carries the teflon hubs? I'm thinking perhaps of a shop in the UK. I still haven't managed to find such a shop myself.

Help! It's a Henrys teflon hub emergency! :)

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 10:18:45 am »
Hi Sean,

I'm in the process of setting up an online juggling store to run alongside our online kite store. The good news is that we have the teflon axles in stock already in our "real" store. PM me and we can sort something out.

Howard

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 08:58:44 pm »
I ordered 4 sets directly from henry's, and have had them for about a
month. It took a while as my online order got lost several times. I ended
up calling and from that point it took about two weeks in the mail (to arrive in Maryland).

I just closed my eyes and ignored things like exchange rates and shipping charges.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 05:54:10 am »
Quote from: Howard
I ordered 4 sets directly from henry's... I just closed my eyes and ignored things like exchange rates and shipping charges.

Thanks for the account of how that went. I should have done that a LONG time ago. :)

Thanks to Ronnie and Dave P. for their offers of help... through some generous UK diabolist I will hopefully soon have my hands on some of these.

When, oh when will they finally start making the plastic hubs standard issue.

Spooned

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 12:02:20 pm »
Are there any axles that are nealry as wide as the wide axles that you can get for the G2's since finger grinds looks really cool and i would love to add them to my trick list  :D
Diabolo or Diablo

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 09:25:20 pm »
you can do finger grinds with any type of axles/hubs. i do finger grinds on my stock Henry's. you wont get as long of grinds as you would with wider axles or hubs, but it's still very possible