Author Topic: Skill level  (Read 7029 times)

diabololi

Skill level
« on: January 30, 2005, 04:17:29 pm »
Hey guys, I was checking out yo-yoing and unicycling on the internet and they both have "skill levels". I thought it was interesting but it does make the tricks seem more, i dunno, serious or regimented  :? . Anyway I'll stop rambling and get to my point:
Do you think it would be good idea to have one main diabolo website where most of the known tricks are listed (with videos) in difficulty order so diaboloists would have something to work through. I quite often find myself searching the internet for a trick that I can work towards doing.

Thanks
Oli

Rusty

Skill level
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 04:22:16 pm »
I think sorting tricks by difficulty is a good idea. Even though it is very subjective, I'm sure it is possible to make a list that works for most people. To make levels so people can find which level they are and easier understand how good others are is not such a good idea from my point of veiw. That would make it alot more serious, and make alot of problems with subjectivnes.

Rusty, Norway

Arjan

Skill level
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 04:33:24 pm »
I don`t know about it... to me it seems like wasting time. Better work on diabolo tricks then on judging them.

Martijn

Skill level
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 04:35:13 pm »
Quote from: Arjan
I don`t know about it... to me it seems like wasting time. Better work on diabolo tricks then on judging them.

I agree. :wink:
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

Skill level
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 05:41:59 pm »
Some people have their diabolo sites set up this way and more power to them but I know which tricks are easy for me and which are hard. Also for different people different styles and different tricks hold totally different levels of difficulty. ( For example, Sean, S fan or  2d suncombo? ;) )

Tradition dictates there are two kinds of tricks/difficulty, those you can do and those you can not!

I don't have a lot of understanding of the yo yo and unicycling rankings but I have witnessed some snobbery and boasting because of it.  

I'm with Arjan and Martijn here

diabololi

Skill level
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 06:19:17 pm »
Yeh, you're all right  :D . I guess I just wish I had some tricks to work through that are at my level.

Oli

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Skill level
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 06:59:15 pm »
try some stuff that you like the look of. If it includes knots, and you arnt good at knots, practice knots. If it includes a lot of wraps and transfers, and you arent very good at them, practice them. You can learn anything at any level, as long as you can do all the fundemental basics that make it up (or sometime you dont need them if you are fluky). So just learn what you want whenever you want, but be sure to break it down to its basic elements.

I hope you see what i'm getting at.

Martijn

Skill level
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 08:39:02 pm »
Quote from: norbi
try some stuff that you like the look of. If it includes knots, and you arnt good at knots, practice knots. If it includes a lot of wraps and transfers, and you arent very good at them, practice them. You can learn anything at any level, as long as you can do all the fundemental basics that make it up (or sometime you dont need them if you are fluky). So just learn what you want whenever you want, but be sure to break it down to its basic elements.

I hope you see what i'm getting at.

That's a great point there Norbi!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

diabololi

Skill level
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm »
You're all right, but I think what I was really after was a diabolo version of this.

http://www.pentrix.com/articles/images/learning_order.gif

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Skill level
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 01:22:10 pm »
wow, with the stupid amount of diabolo tricks that would be a killer table to make, good luck to who ever wants that job.
But its basically the point i made, you have to learn certain things before you can do other things.
Use your head, you dont need a skills table to breakdown a trick.

lemony

Skill level
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 03:53:15 pm »
what i debated making (as a bit of a test of my web programming skils) at one point was a sort've tricks search engine where you could put in things like what state the string is in at the start and finish and roughly how difficult it is to learn... alongside normal search by name... it could link to diabolotricks.com for explanations or whatever and also let people submit new tricks information... it wouldn't be hard to do really, don't suppose it would ever get used though
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Tom_G

Skill level
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 05:16:36 pm »
I'd use it :) ! I guess you could work out combos pretty easily using it and also work out where else the combo could go (whether it would be easy to swtich to behind the back or do a pirouette etc). But it would be a lot of work.... doesn't have to be just one person though. Maybe if you got a load of people working on it say one doing knots, one suicides etc. then it could actually work....

www.thediabolo.com has a structure fairly similar to this idea.... if only it had more tricks on..... (great site for learning though!)
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Andy

Skill level
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 05:49:11 pm »
Do you mean like what eric was talking about - key positions and all that? http://www.diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=214
That would be awesome for making combos. I'd definitely use if itf it had that...

Tom_G

Skill level
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 09:19:08 pm »
Yes I did have that key positions thing in mind. There could be a main page with loads of key positions on, and when you clicked on each position there would be a list of tricks to do from that position, and which position that trick ended up in. Now all we need is someone with a lot of time on their hands.... any volunteers? :)
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

lemony

Skill level
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 01:46:33 am »
hmmm... i could ressurect the idea i suppose... i'd need a fair amount of help, more with the curating than with the programming though, i'm a comp sci student so it should just count as some fun practice.

If anyone else is interested and has any ideas then either post them here (though this thread is veering off topic) or message me.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Andy

Skill level
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 10:18:40 am »
could start a topic on here where people could post ones they know?