Author Topic: Finesse G3 cold weld production fault  (Read 1601 times)

one.man.band

Finesse G3 cold weld production fault
« on: July 19, 2007, 08:51:58 pm »
my new G3s arrived today. I fitted them with finger axles but while i was doing so, I noticed that on the one side counter-cone (the black disks with the nuts that you screw light kits etc. into) there was a crack running from nut to nut through the axle hole on the side that touches the cup (side facing centre). This crack is present in both of the diabolos i bought, but only in one of the counter-cones of each diabolo.

My initial thought was that i'd broken them during a drop, but when i asked my dad (who is "in the know" about injection moulding and polymers he told me he thought that during the injection process, the plastic had met in the middle and not stuck together properly before cooling. This means you get a weak bond where the plastic meets and it cracks when the plastic shifts during cooling.
The most worrying thing is that the crack is very similar in both diabolo's counter-cones.
It could be that the two counter cones are moulded in two seperate moulds for one diabolo, and one of the two moulds has a fault.

I rang Pete at letshavefun.biz to tell him about my problem. He said he was shocked that there was a fault with the counter cones and there was no problem replacing them for me. He said he would check through some of his stock to see if this problem has recurred, and if it does; whether it is just this batch with this problem.

I sincerely hope this isn't a fault with Babache's moulds, as it could mean bad things for the company's release.

If i could ask any G3 owners to check their counter cones for cracks anywhere, not just between the screws, as a cold weld could happen anywhere technically.

thanks

OMB
Not sure how many times my diabolos have been in the pond

Rastaman

Re: Finesse G3 cold weld production fault
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:51:45 pm »
I have to check my G3`s. Maybe this is the problem thats been bothering me(The nonsence wobbeling). I hope it wont screw up the whole 3G batch for MrBabache. :)
Peace and Love to all diaboloers!

one.man.band

Re: Finesse G3 cold weld production fault
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 04:02:42 pm »
After a few calls with pete @ Letshavefun.biz he's talked to suppliers, and it turns out it's a batch issue (I think it was one of their moulds). He's asked for mine back, and i Babache are sending him new stock.
If you want to buy them from somewhere, he is selling new stock at the same price.

OMB
Not sure how many times my diabolos have been in the pond